Gill - a star is born

zen

4 minutes ago, Vickydev said:

Doesnt need to be that way though,..when he is so so good. Pant has played all his life as opener. Same for Rahul who now bats in the MO because is that important. This guy is the next batting starlet. Fit in him

Absolutely...When you have talent of Kohli in the team ,he should be given chance wherever there is a possible vacancy. No need to wait for opening slot to free up.

Sehwag setup the famous record 387 chase with his 80odd  in 2008 after the Mumbai attacks. 

Similarly, Gill’s 90 today deserved the man of the match. This has similar Sehwag like feel where he took the attack to the Aussies today and single handedly put India on course in this famous chase on the last day. What a courageous young player against a world class bowling attack on he last day at their fortress.

Had he not set this up, we were in deep shyt today. 

What a class youngster. The best youngster in a long long time.

The confidence that this series has given him cannot be measured . Mind you , the  first century by Kohli in Aus  set him on the path of great growth .

Imagine - A guy starting his test career and opening the innings in Aus and handling the  best attack ( people should note in all previous AUS series you would  find 1 or 2 Aus pacers who would bowl 130 ish and were not getting great bounce ) . I rate this pace attack much higher as a unit as they are all 6-4 "" + , get lot more bounce , deadly accurate and bowl most of the time near 140. To play them and score runs vs them tells you something .  

I think he had just one innings of single digit out of 6 innings - A good sample size to gauge his quality . 

Why rate his contribution in the series pretty high cause he has faced the most difficult phase in each innings and succeeded .  

I do not we are appreciating his contribution in this series and also in this 4th innings . The innings was as impactful  as Pant's . 

Imagine india 2 down before 30 with rohit & Gill gone  and from that point i doubt there was chance of draw , let alone a WIN. 

Only thing i want him to focus on may be practice vs swing and play a county season within next 2 years .

Seems a very quick learner too -  in first 2-3 innings he was playing bit away from body and also pushing the hands at ball . Has become little tighter in that area now  .

Even today when they started bumper barrage , again he changed his stance a bit and be ready for the short barrage after lunch. 

47 minutes ago, zen said:

100 is just a # ... Quality knock 

100% . It is the skill to tackle as an opener such a skillful , accurate and pacy attack for almost every innings in this tour which should be considered . 90 instead 100 does not take away the impact and quality of play.

Lets remember he is debuting as an opener in AUS  and managed to get runs in almost in all the innings .

Just compare him with what other opener mayank  played  and we have people here going GAGA over his centuries in India against below average attack and declare him the next BIG Thing .! 

The batsman India was looking for. My favourite quality is-

1. Plays his natural game irrespective of what happens on the other end. Does not think much. Looks unfazed in 90s and 190s.

2. Rare quality of maintaining a tempo throughout an innings.

3. Powerful shots down the ground at this age against both spin and pace.

4. Tackles away spin with ease.

The skillset was always insane. The execution has become perfect recently.

2 hours ago, diga said:

happy that the u-19 stars who showed promise are transitioning to the senior sides be it Gill. Pant or Kishen. Surely we shall see Jaiswal, Shaw & Sarfaraz in Indian colors soon

Never lost faith in them. Knew they would come around. Sundar too. Just give him time.