Strike-rate is overrated, says Shubman Gill

Young players have 2 routes to success. Both require consistency, but one takes the high strike rate approach, while another takes a high average approach. For players like Gill, trying to increase the average is the key to success. If he can consistently score 30+ in every T20, above 40 in every ODI, and 50 in every Test innings, he will have a spot in all formats.

Players like take the high strike rate route to success. They are entertaining and require occasional high scores to be absolute match winners. They can still score low every other match, but they make up with their more luckier innings where they absolutely dominate.

Gill needs to work on increasing his average at the expense of appearing to be a hitter. He will find success because his shots are glorious to watch.

53 minutes ago, poi said:

Young players have 2 routes to success. Both require consistency, but one takes the high strike rate approach, while another takes a high average approach. For players like Gill, trying to increase the average is the key to success. If he can consistently score 30+ in every T20, above 40 in every ODI, and 50 in every Test innings, he will have a spot in all formats.

Players like take the high strike rate route to success. They are entertaining and require occasional high scores to be absolute match winners. They can still score low every other match, but they make up with their more luckier innings where they absolutely dominate.

Gill needs to work on increasing his average at the expense of appearing to be a hitter. He will find success because his shots are glorious to watch.

In t20 even one player like Kohli is difficult to fit now a days .. that’s why he is thinking of opening.  Even with high average you need atleast 140 strike rate .  Malan is number 1 t20 player but will be first to be dropped from English side as you cannot afford slow starters /accumulators in white ball cricket anymore. 

you still need balance, I agree with that . But you have players like kl Rahul in t20 who average high with much higher strike rate than Gill playing in same position .. so unless he does not want to play for India in t20 he needs to improve strike rate . 

On 4/4/2021 at 10:49 AM, Lone Wolf said:

Hopefully Morgan changes his attitude for good.  He is a no Non sense type of guy.  Glad he is not playing under an Indian Captain. 

But the non-Indian captain with supposedly the best team and new ideas lost both his series. And if I remember right, he didn’t win a lot after taking over KKR either. Let’s see what he does in his first full year as captain of KKR. But I am yet to be convinced that he is on to something that the Indians haven’t caught on to. Also, as far as Gill goes- there is nothing controversial. He is essentially saying that he will do what the team requires him to do, rather than simply shoot for a strike rate. So, hypothetically, if his captain told him to get into aggressive mode, I don’t think Gill says no.

25 minutes ago, kirkutfan said:

But the non-Indian captain with supposedly the best team and new ideas lost both his series. And if I remember right, he didn’t win a lot after taking over KKR either. Let’s see what he does in his first full year as captain of KKR. But I am yet to be convinced that he is on to something that the Indians haven’t caught on to. Also, as far as Gill goes- there is nothing controversial. He is essentially saying that he will do what the team requires him to do, rather than simply shoot for a strike rate. So, hypothetically, if his captain told him to get into aggressive mode, I don’t think Gill says no.

Yeah but Morgan is a World cup winning captain & yes he was handed KKR captaincy mid way but all the big guns misfired but overall DK should never have been captain in the first place.  Their whole strategy was upside down.  Russell was a flop show as well.  Gill wasn't doing the job.  Nitish Rana was constantly put up n down..  He did put up good performances tho...  Albeit inconsistent. 

Thing with Morgan is he will go for the kill & may push KKR to play the way Eng does.  So Gill & possibly Rana at the top will go all guns blazing at the top..  Which is the right way to do in powerplay. 

1 hour ago, kirkutfan said:

He is essentially saying that he will do what the team requires him to do, rather than simply shoot for a strike rate. So, hypothetically, if his captain told him to get into aggressive mode, I don’t think Gill says no.

Well that's also a problem given our current captain. With pant and pandya, they go with their instinct and hence able to win us games despite what the captain says. If Gill becomes captain's pet, he'll be ineffective just like Rahul

5 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Yeah but Morgan is a World cup winning captain & yes he was handed KKR captaincy mid way but all the big guns misfired but overall DK should never have been captain in the first place.  Their whole strategy was upside down.  Russell was a flop show as well.  Gill wasn't doing the job.  Nitish Rana was constantly put up n down..  He did put up good performances tho...  Albeit inconsistent. 

Thing with Morgan is he will go for the kill & may push KKR to play the way Eng does.  So Gill & possibly Rana at the top will go all guns blazing at the top..  Which is the right way to do in powerplay. 

But it’s not like Morgan’s teams scored 400 runs a game in that World Cup. The final was a relatively low scoring affair.  They scored something like 240 runs and won on a tie breaker. They may want to go for big hitting throughout but have not proven that they can pull it off consistently. Looking at this last odi set, they had one excellent chase where they beat us thoroughly. One that they threw away from a winning position because they thought their formula works for all occasions and one that was made to look like a close loss because of some sloppy Indian fielding and an adventurous lower order batsman. In short, they proved nothing. Their strategy works only sometimes, maybe just 33% of the time. The t20 games, not too different story. They dominated that first game, and I really thought we were behind the times. End of the series- not so much. I agree that it’s too early to judge Morgan on leading KKR and like anything else it also depends on how well the players do. However, he has a long way to go before he can make the case that his strategy consistently beats out what India does. My thinking is that he, like everybody else, will adjust. There are times the maligned anchor has a role. India might have had too many of them, which they tried to fix by adding the likes of SKY, Pant and Pandya. In fact, throughout the 2 series, I would say that India looked more willing to adjust tactics to win than England did.

5 hours ago, Serpico said:

Well that's also a problem given our current captain. With pant and pandya, they go with their instinct and hence able to win us games despite what the captain says. If Gill becomes captain's pet, he'll be ineffective just like Rahul

On the contrary, Pant and Pandya were added precisely because they have the ability to score fast without taking too long to adjust. I am not aware of any story, where the captain said go slow, and these guys said no, we will play this way only. 

3 hours ago, kirkutfan said:

On the contrary, Pant and Pandya were added precisely because they have the ability to score fast without taking too long to adjus

Nope. Pant was added to the ODI team because Iyer was injured. We could have easily lost the series if Iyer wasn't injured. 

After Indian innings in second odi, kl said that kohli set their goal to get to 300 and that's why he played so slow. Pant However, didn't consider that and played his natural game from ball 1 which allowed us to reach 330. Could have been 350 if top order was more proactive, but such is the attitude of our captain. So in this situation, Gill would do the same thing kl did and say, well our captain said 300 is fine. That's why it's unfortunate attitude in our young players. They need to realise the importance of SR independently because our captain and seniors aren't teaching it

4 hours ago, kirkutfan said:

But it’s not like Morgan’s teams scored 400 runs a game in that World Cup. The final was a relatively low scoring affair.  They scored something like 240 runs and won on a tie breaker. They may want to go for big hitting throughout but have not proven that they can pull it off consistently. Looking at this last odi set, they had one excellent chase where they beat us thoroughly. One that they threw away from a winning position because they thought their formula works for all occasions and one that was made to look like a close loss because of some sloppy Indian fielding and an adventurous lower order batsman. In short, they proved nothing. Their strategy works only sometimes, maybe just 33% of the time. The t20 games, not too different story. They dominated that first game, and I really thought we were behind the times. End of the series- not so much. I agree that it’s too early to judge Morgan on leading KKR and like anything else it also depends on how well the players do. However, he has a long way to go before he can make the case that his strategy consistently beats out what India does. My thinking is that he, like everybody else, will adjust. There are times the maligned anchor has a role. India might have had too many of them, which they tried to fix by adding the likes of SKY, Pant and Pandya. In fact, throughout the 2 series, I would say that India looked more willing to adjust tactics to win than England did.

I simply don't care too much by bilaterals the fact that India hasn't won any trophy since 2013 suggests whatever we have done is an utter failure despite the resources.  Team selection,  planning all has led to this.  We couldn't chase a small total in semis 2019 coz we didn't had a set formula..  Neither a big one in CT17, under par score & legendary Rahane comment in T20 WC 2016 vs WI..  Our strategy is a one big a** failure so far.  That's why lolli is trying to change tactics a bit before T20 WC.  Even though idiot is trying to keep Kishan out of the team..  And trying to fit himself as an opener ROFL max

20 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

I simply don't care too much by bilaterals the fact that India hasn't won any trophy since 2013 suggests whatever we have done is an utter failure despite the resources.  Team selection,  planning all has led to this.  We couldn't chase a small total in semis 2019 coz we didn't had a set formula..  Neither a big one in CT17, under par score & legendary Rahane comment in T20 WC 2016 vs WI..  Our strategy is a one big a** failure so far.  That's why lolli is trying to change tactics a bit before T20 WC.  Even though idiot is trying to keep Kishan out of the team..  And trying to fit himself as an opener ROFL max

Don't know since when people started calling not winning an ICC event as utter failure. We have won 4-5 icc events in our history. Does that make our cricket utter failure? Stop giving ICC events that much importance.

To me, consistent good cricket is what matters. 

Edited by rkt.india
54 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Don't know since when people started calling not winning an ICC event as utter failure. We have won 4-5 icc events in our history. Does that make our cricket utter failure? Stop giving ICC events that much importance.

To me, consistent good cricket is what matters. 

How many of those historical years were we dominating though? We were a mid rank team so it was no surprise we didn't win cups. But now we have been dominating in all forms and top 2, 3 for a long time. So then if we still fail to win trophies we will be questioned. The Aussies 2000 team would 100% have been questioned if they kept failing to win world cups. So would the might WI team in history. 

None of those teams are considered all time greats for consistencies but are for showing actual results like winning multiple world cups 

1 hour ago, Serpico said:

Nope. Pant was added to the ODI team because Iyer was injured. We could have easily lost the series if Iyer wasn't injured. 

After Indian innings in second odi, kl said that kohli set their goal to get to 300 and that's why he played so slow. Pant However, didn't consider that and played his natural game from ball 1 which allowed us to reach 330. Could have been 350 if top order was more proactive, but such is the attitude of our captain. So in this situation, Gill would do the same thing kl did and say, well our captain said 300 is fine. That's why it's unfortunate attitude in our young players. They need to realise the importance of SR independently because our captain and seniors aren't teaching it

Iyer can score fast too. He did pretty well in the T20 set. If you really believe that India only thinks in terms of consolidation it would have picked a Rahane type player to replace Iyer. The idea that those picking Pant, who have seen how he plays everyday, don’t know how he is going to strike the ball doesn’t make sense. I get that you may not like the captain or his tactics. But the guy will know what he is getting when he picks a player. And I am still not buying the idea that everybody has to go on 4th gear for strike rate. India scored in the low 300s in all 3 games batting first. England had the benefit of chasing in easier conditions, and not facing any real hostile bowling and still managed to lose two out of three with that high SR approach. The first odi, England committed suicide by going from 135/0 to 251 on a nothing wicket. When the 1st wkt fell, England could have strolled at 5 runs per over and won with overs to spare. In that situation where was the genius with continuing with that high SR formula? There is time/place for different tactics. India was willing to adapt and try those.

29 minutes ago, kirkutfan said:

There is time/place for different tactics. India was willing to adapt and try those.

I wish this was the case but I just don't see it. I don't want the team to play in 4th gear all the time, but they should have that ability in case it's needed. It was disgusting to see them play less than run a ball while chasing 370+. Top order just play with luxury in every situation and lower order is supposed to do the heavy lifting every time. If kohli simply can't play fast against spin, he should atleast have game sense to send pandya and pant ahead.

It was so refreshing to see indian batsman play rashid confidently in last Odi after kohli and kl got out early. But 7/10 times, they will just stick around pushing the ball into fielders hands for 20 overs. 

And I don't think kohli picked pant specifically for his sr. Remember he picked manish pandey ahead of pant in Australia. This time pant is just in sensational form and made the choice obvious once iyer got injured