50 years of Anand, is it the best Bollywood film ever made?

zen

Anand was released in 1971, therefore celebrating its 50 years. It tells the story of a last stage cancer patient attempting to spend his remaining few months laughing and making a positive difference to others. Highlights the fact that while you come to the earth crying, you have the option to depart it laughing.

It is a beautifully done film where a great story is backed up by great acting. The environment in the film whether it is the doctor-patient relationship or attempts to make random friends is memorable. Though the film is mostly shot indoors, it does pay tribute to Mumbai, which looks good esp. the beaches. Dr. Banerjee's (Babu Moshai), played by Amitabh Bachchan, frustrations with not being able to do much for the poor is understandable. Anand, played by Rajesh Khanna, is an iconic character. 

Since it is made in Bollywood, it has certain elements that cater to the tastes of Bollywood audiences but, in general, it appears to be closer to Italian neorealism films. It is a top notch effort by director Hrishikesh Mukherjee where his focus on simplicity has made the film evergreen. The film can motivate patients to keep a positive attitude during the pandemic. 

In Bollywood, there may be more popular (bigger hits) or big budget films, but Anand, with its simplicity, a positive message, an iconic character, and a relative neorealist style, has an unique appeal and a case for being its best. If I am making a list of 10-12 best global films irrespective of genre, Anand is a strong contender for a place. 

Edited by zen

One of the best from HFI, direction, editing, music, acting and writing, all being top class. This is great teamwork and the director, the ringmaster gets the credit when it all works. HM did most of the work, Salil Chaudhary reused some of his Bengali songs into Hindi, Gulzar and other lyricist were great. Writing is key in movies

Very good movie. One of Amitabh Bacchan’s best performances. Rajesh Khana’s acting in this movie is iconic but now in 2021 looks caricaturish probably due to all the mimicry and parodies.

Zindagi Kaisi hai paheli and Kahi door jab din dhal jaye, now this is the kind of art that will never age :hail: amazing songs.

I shed a tear or two after watching Anand. I was touched. And I'd like to think that I am quite thick skinned.

Kal Ho Na Ho, was on the same lines. I liked the movie but it never moved me to that extent.

Edited by Mariyam

Appears as if ppl continue to love Anand. 

In 2021, many old films have lost some of their charm but Anand continues to shine.

As I said, if I am making a list of 10-12 best (not necessarily favorites) “global”  (not just Bollywood) films, Anand would be a strong contender of a place in it for its uniqueness. 

Most Bollywood films are copies of some western film, relying on the masala formula, and you can even find a better example from the global stables. It is difficult to find a film like Anand even among global stock which imparts a meaningful lesson in a beautiful way through an iconic character! 

18 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Definitely not the SRK one.

SRK essayed the role of a foreign educated Bengali Brahmin returnee very well I thought. Got the mannerisms right too. SLB's over the top sets can be distracting. But that doesn't take away from SRK's performance.

Dilip Kumar's Devdas was subtle. While that works in 99% of the plots, this is the one plot where you need to see physical and mental disintegration of Devdas to feel for the character. I found SRK's portrayal of Devdas better. But Bimal Roy's Devdas was a far superior film to SLB's Devdas.

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

SRK essayed the role of a foreign educated Bengali Brahmin returnee very well I thought. Got the mannerisms right too. SLB's over the top sets can be distracting. But that doesn't take away from SRK's performance.

Dilip Kumar's Devdas was subtle. While that works in 99% of the plots, this is the one plot where you need to see physical and mental disintegration of Devdas to feel for the character. I found SRK's portrayal of Devdas better. But Bimal Roy's Devdas was a far superior film to SLB's Devdas.

I felt SRK overacted in the film .He tried too hard to show his distress and emotions and it went against him. He even said he tried to copy Dilip Kumar and take inspiration from him. But it didn't go well.

Btw, films with themes like Anand stem from Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan Ilyich. Kurosawa's Ikiru (1952), which means to live, also has a similar theme. 

Edited by zen

Actually i find mere apne of meena kumari ,vinod khanna,shatrughan sinha(chainu naam hai mera) better,even satyakam i feel is a better movie ,u cant get the whole essence of satyakam in one time watch have to watch it again ,guide may have been a better movie, yes but feel The real winner of that year was phool or paththar,turned dharmendra into overnight star,gave him the name he man,and it was never looking back after that for him

Edited by vayuu1

though personally i rate rajesh khannas performence in ittefaq better than anand a scared person who ran away from asylum accused of murdering his wife ,taking shelter in a ladies house or rather forcing in,man that movie gets u hooked till the very end.