PAK vs INDIA opening Match T20 WC 2021- what went wrong

Instead of harping about about dropping  8-9 of current players better to understand how the 2 teams played and how prepared the 2 teams were against each other.

I bet none of the other indian RH batters would have done better vs Afridi in PP unless they prepare against him better .

Main Points to be noted for the result :--

1. Tremendous improvement in skills & discipline displayed by Pak,

-   Very good fielding effort .

-   Great running between the wickets .

-    Very few dot balls

-    Good stamina . They were taking 2 runs even in 17 th & 18th over . 

-     Did not look like losing their mental balance either while bowling or fielding.

All these were missing mostly in Pak team for the last 10-12 years .

2. Very good planning & preparation before the WC by PAK.  They have covered almost all areas against Indian batsmen & bowlers --

-  They knew swinging in ducker  from a leftie is the weapon to get wickets vs Rohit , KL and how beautifully Shaheen Afridi did that . He must have practiced that so much with new ball to get that perfect ball .

- They expected fast back of length bowling from spinners and they were ready for it to get singles & 2s mostly and the they were waiting on the backfoot to  hit big when it was little short by hitting sixes.

-  Very good use of Rauf. They used him in middle overs with out & out pace .Fellow  bowling with real pace and control . Has developed good slower one with control.

-   Use of Hafeez vs Lefties though this was expected.

-  They knew real danger from Varun is in coming ball. They just moved towards off stump and played with half drive  half slog towards mid one to mid wicket  to nullify his threat and picked easy runs , Never tried to play cross bat.

-  Both the batsmen played yorkers very well and to top it almost took a single even while defending vs yorkers. 

- The game of Rizwan also helps as he is very good against any ball   on the stumps  & slog shots ,pull. He will get runs on those deliveries .

3. Poor planning & preparedness by Indians -- 

- It is very very clear that Afridi takes wickets in his first over itself in majority of the matches and they also know in ducker from Leftie is their BIG problem.

A shrewd TM should have planned to play out Afridi in PP and take risks against Imad & others . Did not happen.

If one analyses Afridi bowling recently , he will bowl full & wicket to wicket balls , Yorker & Bouncer . He does not bowl much those balls going away from stumps . If india was prepared  they should have expected full in duckers , yorkers and changed their stance accordingly to keep out those .  If he bowls bouncers leave them . Only Virat made changes to tackle him .

-  Never made a plan to attack Imad , He was tying them down by bowling towards leg stump.

-  Perhaps did not prepare for Rauf  to counter real pacy rising deliveries & looked to be caught unawares by his slower ones .

- Did not attack Shadab too .

-  Bowlers bowled too many balls to Rizwan on the stumps and gave away too many runs on onside without proper fielders.

4. Indian Team looks jaded & listless .Too much cricket means we may not win anything for next 2 years .

We need to admit Shaheen Afridi is a tremendous world class bowler and will become still better , Babar another World class batter . If their middle order clicks 

they will be a very good T20 team if they play the way they played today, 150-160 scores are the best suited for PAK.

If india wants to beat PAK, they should put 180+ AND  always  bowl tight in first 10 overs , do not give wicket to Shaheen in PP and may be play for full pitch balls /stand  outside the crease during PP , find a method to attack Imad ( May be use a leftie) in PP , Take risks against Rauf & Shadab & wait for slower ones from Hasan to attack in 2nd spell.

If they do not cover these areas , if we play again we will again flop.

I may have written some version of this somewhere including on my own threads:

• Formulaic cricket - For e.g. persisting with L-R combination when an impact player could have been promoted top of the order to take on the spinners 
  • Set batsmen leaving it too late to take charge, while expecting a new batsman to do all the hitting from ball 1
  • Neem hakim khatre jaan in match ups - one needs to understand what goes into the data that creates match ups 
  • The squad selection itself - includes many players that should not be playing international T20s 
  • Indian spinners usually do well in home conditions (doing well on rank turners = zilch)
  • Many of those constantly picked to bat in the top 3-4 are known to crack in pressure games. A trend since 2014

Over the years (since 1990s), I have always found Indian cricketers to be usually mechanical (apart from a few outliers) in their approach. The team also waits for things to completely go wrong before making the changes (no proactiveness). The selectors picked more or less a test/odi squad here. Top Pak and SL cricketers are usually street smart and show more understanding of the game in general. 

Edited by zen
5 minutes ago, zen said:

Who took risks (mainly means playing loafted shots or trying to hit boundaries) v Afridi? :hmmm:

Well TM should have known Afridi has started bowling perfect  in duckers now and attacks stumps a lot in PP . Full in duckers , Yorkers and bouncers what he will pepper with in PP. Batsmen should have prepared for those to play him out those fuller balls and leave bouncers  .  Virat changed his stance and played him better. .

1 minute ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Well TM should have known Afridi has started bowling perfect  in duckers now and attacks stumps a lot in PP . Full in duckers , Yorkers and bouncers what he will pepper with in PP. Batsmen should have prepared for those to play him out those fuller balls and leave bouncers  .  Virat changed his stance and played him better. .

You do know head of TM is Shastri…

Dew was not a problem at all. I feel had we chased  today, we still would have lost badly.

look at the body language of Rizwan and Babar Azam while Rohit and Rahul looked like they saw a ghost the moment they walked in. Swear the moment the ball left Afridi’a hand I knew that was out. Just one of those things you feel instinctively watching so much cricket sometime.

I have no clue why they looked so much under pressure.

After even worse drubbing in CT final, I remember how calm and composed the Indian team looked in the Asia cup and even in WC. Not sure what went wrong.

7 minutes ago, maniac said:

Dew was not a problem at all. I feel had we chased  today, we still would have lost badly.

look at the body language of Rizwan and Babar Azam while Rohit and Rahul looked like they saw a ghost the moment they walked in. Swear the moment the ball left Afridi’a hand I knew that was out. Just one of those things you feel instinctively watching so much cricket sometime.

After even worse drubbing in CT final, I remember how calm and composed the Indian team looked in the Asia cup and even in WC. Not sure what went wrong.

Maybe all were fasting today

9 minutes ago, maniac said:

as opposed to 'this is just another game' talks

Pakistan found it's opening combination, which was missing during the last couple of years. 

Once openers are gone, then Pakistani middle order is totally unreliable, just as it was unreliable in the past. 

India perhaps need a left handed opener too, who could negate left arm fast bowlers. 

Edited by Alam_dar
39 minutes ago, ash said:

Tbh this was not an upset, even on paper they were the better team. Only question was whether Pak would choke as usual, but Babar azam seems to have a calm head. This was certainly not our best team. 

It is an upset because Pakistan has not beaten a top side in a while. They lost to England and Australia away in the last 2 years. Yes, they are ranked #3 in the T20I rankings, but not beating the top sides belie that ranking.

For India, this result is pretty embarassing. We played IPL in the same ground game after game and we get beaten by a team black and blue. What was the hype about IPL being a great training ground all about?

1 minute ago, Adi_91 said:

It is an upset because Pakistan has not beaten a top side in a while. They lost to England and Australia away in the last 2 years. Yes, they are ranked #3 in the T20I rankings, but not beating the top sides belie that ranking.

For India, this result is pretty embarassing. We played IPL in the same ground game after game and we get beaten by a team black and blue. What was the hype about IPL being a great training ground all about?

How will IPL help you if you play with players who didn’t even do well in IPL?

1 minute ago, IndianRenegade said:

How will IPL help you if you play with players who didn’t even do well in IPL?

Exactly. I am stunned there were no changes to the squad once it became very clear that Bhuvi, Hardik and Ashwin were clearly not in form. Harshal not picked was a shocker.

Plus this is played in Dubai...That concerned me right away.

I remember the matches in Sharjah in 90s when Pak routinely beat us badly. We don't do that well in the desert. They do. Yes I know fixing was blamed but it was not all fixing.

Outside UAE we have played Pak well. Even in Pak.