UNBIASED OPINION: India's 2001 victory against Aus or 2005 England Ashes victory - Which was the greater series and which home side deserves more credit ?

In favor of the 2001 series win for India:

• Ganguly's first major series as test captain, India lost 5 test matches in a row including getting whitewashed ( 2-0 ) by RSA at HOME !!
  •  No Anil Kumble ( the pillar of our home domination already for a few years )
  •  Aus had their best playing XI with many of their ATGs in red hot form - with no injures and was on a 16 match winning streak
  • India got hammered within 3 days in the 1st Test match ( I was actually at Wankhede for the 3rd day and the way Hayden toyed with our bowling made me lose all hopes for the rest of the series)
  •  Even in the 2nd Test  in Kolkata India were dead and buried after the first innings. We won after a follow on was imposed on us - an extraordinarily rare feat.

Against the 2001 series win for India:

• Our bowling was all Harbhajan. Totally lopsided 1 bowler attack. Although his own performance was once in a generation series performance - our attack was absolutely toothless even at home without him.
  • I think a 5 match series would have been more fair - what would we have done for a 4th or 5th test had Harbhajan got worn out or lost form due to fatigue, given the entire bowling was resting on him ? Not seen 1 bowler bowl  close to 40 % of the overs in a 5 match series. 

In favor of the 2005 series win for Eng:

• England just like India got hammered in the 1st test and made a stunning comeback. 
  • England came up with extraordinary display of seam and swing bowling - that was just not a 1 man attack - Flintoff, Harmison, Simon Jones - after a long time Aus Test batting juggernaut got violated by fast bowlers. Eng pacers outdid Aus - a huge rarity for that "era"
  • 5 match test series - long enough to been a fair result. Not a 2 or 3 match series where a freak performance or two could swing the result in favor of the "weaker" team.

Against the 2005 series win for Eng:

• Both the matches that Aus lost, Mcgrath was out injured. Eng did not win a single test match in that series that Mcgrath played. I think this was the difference. Had Mcgrath not missed 2 tests - the result of this Ashes could have been different most likely
  • Gillespie was at the end of his career, totally out of form.

Overall verdict - I would strongly voted for OUR victory as being the greater victory had that series been a 5 match series. For now, I will say it is just marginally better than England's win.

Edited by rangeelaraja
5 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Ind aus 2020/21 is the best series hands down. Better than the above mentioned. Reason is simple. Series won by visiting team. In both above it was home team which won..

The topic is comparing 2 series of the same era that were iconic series and will remain for eternity. The verdict as to which of the 2 series in OP is greater is still hotly contested. 

Our recent win in Aus is undoubtedly a greater victory because it is an away victory - but it is from a different era - 20 years apart.

Edited by rangeelaraja
11 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Ind aus 2020/21 is the best series hands down. Better than the above mentioned. Reason is simple. Series won by visiting team. In both above it was home team which won..

i think that's a bit of a lazy stance to take. Aus were beating everyone home and away when they played us in 2001.

16 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

In favor of the 2001 series win for India:

• Ganguly's first major series as test captain, India lost 5 test matches in a row including getting whitewashed ( 2-0 ) by RSA at HOME !!
  •  No Anil Kumble ( the pillar of our home domination already for a few years )
  •  Aus had their best playing XI with many of their ATGs in red hot form - with no injures and was on a 16 match winning streak
  • India got hammered within 3 days in the 1st Test match ( I was actually at Wankhede for the 3rd day and the way Hayden toyed with our bowling made me lose all hopes for the rest of the series)
  •  Even in the 2nd Test  in Kolkata India were dead and buried after the first innings. We won after a follow on was imposed on us - an extraordinarily rare feat.

Against the 2001 series win for India:

• Our bowling was all Harbhajan. Totally lopsided 1 bowler attack. Although his own performance was once in a generation series performance - our attack was absolutely toothless even at home without him.
  • I think a 5 match series would have been more fair - what would we have done for a 4th or 5th test had Harbhajan got worn out or lost form due to fatigue, given the entire bowling was resting on him ? Not seen 1 bowler bowl  close to 40 % of the overs in a 5 match series. 

In favor of the 2005 series win for Eng:

• England just like India got hammered in the 1st test and made a stunning comeback. 
  • England came up with extraordinary display of seam and swing bowling - that was just not a 1 man attack - Flintoff, Harmison, Simon Jones - after a long time Aus Test batting juggernaut got violated by fast bowlers. Eng pacers outdid Aus - a huge rarity for that "era"
  • 5 match test series - long enough to been a fair result. Not a 2 or 3 match series where a freak performance or two could swing the result in favor of the "weaker" team.

Against the 2005 series win for Eng:

• Both the matches that Aus lost, Mcgrath was out injured. Eng did not win a single test match in that series that Mcgrath played. I think this was the difference. Had Mcgrath not missed 2 tests - the result of this Ashes could have been different most likely
  • Gillespie was at the end of his career, totally out of form.

Overall verdict - I would strongly voted for OUR victory as being the greater victory had that series been a 5 match series. For now, I will say it is just marginally better than England's win.

i reckon 2001 edges 2005. Aus were already on the wane by 2005.

7 minutes ago, goose said:

i think that's a bit of a lazy stance to take. Aus were beating everyone home and away when they played us in 2001.

aus were 280 odd for 8 till waugh gillespie hauled them back in eden gardens first innings (400 plus) and had a century partnership due to indias crap bowling to tail. There were dropped catches. The biggest issue australia still cry about in both tests is home umpiring. Even the ashes last wicket in 2005 was not out. Also there were few dubious decisions against aus in 2001 eden gardens and chennai. 2021 we had drs so we won fair n square.. also don’t discount the vociferous home crowd and heat and humidity in india which india was accustomed to .. aus was not. ..

Edited by neel roy
33 minutes ago, Lord said:

2005 was fun to watch even as a neutral. KP batting and Flintoff bowling is unforgettable

So true. 

I mean until that 2005  series, I had not seen

THAT vintage of Aussie batsmen get harassed and violated so consistently with pace, bounce, swing and seam movement. 

Flintoff, Harmison were in deadly form with the ball ably supported by Simon Jones who did very well himself. 

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

2005 was a classic 5 Test series. 2001 was a 3 test series. Hard to make comebacks. But the intensity of cricket was pretty high in both

True that.

I feel, should McGrath have not missed 2 games Aus would have atleast leveled that Ashes 2005.

And had we played 5 tests instead of 3, in 2001, Aus would have probably also leveled the series against us. They were that good. Bhajji  bowled nearly 150 overs combined in just 2 tests  - Kolkata and  Chennai and I doubt he would have been able to continue on this vein for 2 more tests. 

OTOH, I feel Kumble’s injury and Harbhajan getting a chance to be the lead spinner was a blessing in disguise for us. 

Kumble as good as he was on our pitches was a known commodity for the Aussies - he would have been successful but not as destructive as Bhajji who was a major surprise package that just blew away Aus in the last 2 tests taking  a ridiculous 28 wickets out of 40. 

Edited by rangeelaraja
10 minutes ago, Lord said:

Didn't we win the 1998 series also.India were also known as very strong at home.

But Australian winning unit was formed after that. Adam Gilchrist was not there. Ever since Langer/Adam Gilchrist produced that unbelievable partnership against Pakistan to win that test they became unstoppable.  Besides there was no Mcgrath or Gillespie as well.