Reasons the Wolves (GT) need to win the IPL 2022

zen

Of all the teams with a realistic chance of winning the IPL, the reasons why Wolves could be the chosen one include: 

• A new team that got off the blocks in style including becoming the first team in IPL history to win 8 of its first 9 games 
  • Gave the most entertaining games including versus LSG (Miller-Tewatia), DC (Death over bowling), PK (2 6s off 2 balls), RR (A SDP masterclass with the bat + overcame a rampaging Buttler), CSK (Miller-Rashid), KKR (SDP knock + defended a low total exposing the short ball weakness of KKR), SRH (Rashid-Tewatia), ..., .... 
  • Additionally - a nice kit, a brave and refreshing captain, most feared lower middle order batsmen, an all star bowling attack, fighting spirit, .... 

In short, the team to look up to! 

Let's look at some of the competition: 

• LSG -> the yucky kit, a sleepy captain, ... 
  • RR -> Sometime it can be too smart for itself 
  • DC -> Pant's weird captaincy, a relatively overweight team, & toothless pace (if it can be called that) attack 
  • PK -> A mercurial side with a sloppy body language. A bomb that can either explode on its opponent or on itself
  • RCB -> Enough has been said about it over the years
  • SRH -> A trundling attack apart from Umran, a captain who prays to win tosses, and play within its limitations without pushing itself  

People may or may not like the Wolves (some wait eagerly for it to fail) but look at the options :dontknow:    @Mariyam @Vijy @velu @maniac @Under_Score @Lord @SeasonedIPLer @speedheat @coffee_rules @Austin 3:!6 @Kothili ... ... 

It is the only team worth supporting! ... Let us all get together to support the Wolves :hail: 

TXKM.gif

:gt:  :gt-wolves:

13 minutes ago, zen said:

Of all the teams with a realistic chance of winning the IPL, the reasons why Wolves could be the chosen one include: 

• A new team that got off the blocks in style including becoming the first team in IPL history to win 8 of its first 9 games 
  • Gave the most entertaining games including versus LSG (Miller-Tewatia), DC (Death over bowling), PK (2 6s off 2 balls), RR (A SDP masterclass with the bat + overcame a rampaging Buttler), CSK (Miller-Rashid), KKR (SDP knock + defended a low total exposing the short ball weakness of KKR), SRH (Rashid-Tewatia), ..., .... 
  • Additionally - a nice kit, a brave and refreshing captain, most feared lower middle order batsmen, an all star bowling attack, fighting spirit, .... 

• DC -> Pant's weird captaincy, a relatively overweight team, & toothless pace (if it can be called that) attack 
  • PK -> A mercurial side with a sloppy body language. A bomb that can either explode on its opponent or on itself
  • SRH -> A trundling attack apart from Umran, a captain who prays to win tosses, and play within its limitations without pushing itself  

People may or may not like the Wolves (some wait eagerly for it to fail) but look at the options :dontknow:    @Mariyam @Vijy @velu @maniac @Under_Score @Lord @SeasonedIPLer @speedheat @coffee_rules @Austin 3:!6 @Kothili ... ... 

It is the only team worth supporting! ... Let us all get together to support the Wolves :hail: 

TXKM.gif

irrespective of whether GT wins or not (I still think KOs will be hard to get through), there is no doubt that they have proven to be more than the sum of their (considerable) parts so far. I like teams that fulfill this criterion, cliched though it might be. I wish Ind could demonstrate a similar fighting spirit in the upcoming WT20

17 minutes ago, Vijy said:

(I still think KOs will be hard to get through)

Knockout can be hard for any team but look at it this way if it is hard for GT (a team that finds a way to win unless it has an offday), it would be harder for other teams  :dontknow:

If GT finishes in top 2, it gets two shots at the final & an opportunity to play the final at A'bad :dance:

Edited by zen

35 minutes ago, zen said:

TXKM.gif

Definitely agree with nice kit. Excellent design and texture. 

Also you forgot one main reason as to why we need GT to win. If GT wins, pandya should be promoted as our t20 captain and we are very likely to win the WC under him. He is a fighter. I like his mental toughness. 

I mock him often yes but mentally I don't think we have a player more mentally tough than pandya. Pant is a weirdo and he is fat. Rohit is a fat lord. 

Just now, Jay said:

Definitely agree with nice kit. Excellent design and texture. 

Also you forgot one main reason as to why we need GT to win. If GT wins, pandya should be promoted as our t20 captain and we are very likely to win the WC under him. He is a fighter. I like his mental toughness. 

I mock him often yes but mentally I don't think we have a player more mentally tough than pandya. Pant is a weirdo and he is fat. Rohit is a fat lord. 

True ... I like to look at IPL as a key global competition that should be enjoyed for its own virtues (national selection considerations are a byproduct. Even established players playing IPL are focused on it without worrying about national selections)

54 minutes ago, zen said:

True ... I like to look at IPL as a key global competition that should be enjoyed for its own virtues (national selection considerations are a byproduct. Even established players playing IPL are focused on it without worrying about national selections)

exactly. t20 WC should be focused entirely on young talents. Its should be about unearthing new talents. It should be a stepping stone project to get opportunities to represent india in the longer format that is tests and odi depending on what the player chooses. Its just sad to see overpaid affluent so called sooperstars like rohit and kohli try and hog the limelight even in t20s where their services are no longer required. Somehow our management will try and accommodate all the washed up has beens in our team. Hopefully we atleast pick the right bowling attack this time. 

Lets hope to see pandya as captain. He is the only one i have faith in for the shorter formats. 

7 hours ago, zen said:

Yes, IPL is a different beast and people get it  mixed up with international cricket. A successful player in the IPL is exactly that - an IPL success, which is a creditable achievement and nothing to be scoffed at. There is no guarantee that he will do well in international level nor is it a sure bet that he will fail. "He will be found out in international cricket" is a frequently used comment against many players. 

1 hour ago, nevada said:

Yes, IPL is a different beast and people get it  mixed up with international cricket. A successful player in the IPL is exactly that - an IPL success, which is a creditable achievement and nothing to be scoffed at. There is no guarantee that he will do well in international level nor is it a sure bet that he will fail. "He will be found out in international cricket" is a frequently used comment against many players. 

i did not mean it in that respect. What I meant was that IPL is an important tournament in itself so it should be enjoyed  for its virtues (better than most international LOI events). Cricketers focus on it too without worrying about any other considerations (except when a World Cup is around). Many international  players use international games to play IPL. 

The things that you said are for unestablished domestic players. The reason for that is conditions in India. A Indian domestic player may do well in IPL because he is used to the conditions (which also helps to make IPL competitive). A foreign domestic player may struggle in IPL because he is not used to the conditions (BBL stars for e.g.). Because of the pressure situation and competitiveness in IPL, if a player come across as someone who can be successful in multiple conditions, he is seen in good light. If not, “IPL is no guarantee” statement (should not be used as a general statement) as there are more than 70 Indian players on display. There is an issue of current form and new players get worked on in the next season (happens in international cricket too). On the other hand, if an established (or internationally proven) player does well in IPL, his form is seen as a positive. 

Edited by zen

I want to support GT bcoz Subhman Gill is my favourite batsman.

I was also liking the intent from Pandya in 1st few games. He was bowling fast, batting well...I was under the impression that 2018 version of Pandya is back. That version of Pandya is an asset. But he has once again back to his poor form...not bowling, hardly scoring runs etc. Cant support that.

24 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

But he has once again back to his poor form...not bowling, hardly scoring runs etc. Cant support that.

No one scores in all 14 games. Most players do well in 4-5 (1/3 rd) games. SDP has already won his team 2 games (3 50+ scores till date). He is the highest run scorer for GT so far, and in top 5 of MVP list of the tournament iirc.

As for not bowling, he has already said that he will bowl if his team needs (also probably later in the tournament). Because of a niggle, where many bowlers sit out even for minor ones, and as IPL is a long tournament, he is not expected to push himself as a bowler.

As for Gill, he too is looking good (looks like a million bucks at the crease!) but finds new ways to get out. Considering “law of averages”. I hope that these two save their best for the playoffs. 

Edited by zen

Nope. Guys like Afridi, Ricardo Powell, Albie Morkel etc are good to have in a solid team but you can’t build a team with a X1 like that which is unpredictable. This team seems to be a collection of mercurial match winners/bits and pieces players so some of them can pull a rabbit out of the hat once in a while but seems too fluky and don’t want T20/IPL to look like a lottery.

Pace like Fiyah is the way to go.

I like the OP, so will be happy for him but the cricket purist in me wouldn’t approve this. 

Teams like Kenya make a great story if they reach semis but winning WC would have been bad for cricket :)

8 minutes ago, Kothili said:

:laugh: GT is going to crash out at some point. They have no chance winning the tournament. Mark it. 

Then you should try your luck here:

Odds To Win Indian Premier League 2022
Team Odds
Gujarat Titans +250
Lucknow Super Giants +320
Rajasthan Royals +400
Sunrisers Hyderabad +550
Royal Challengers Bangalore +1000
Delhi Capitals +1100
Punjab Kings +2500
Chennai Super Kings +2800
Kolkata Knight Riders +2800

Bookies have :gt-wolves: as favorites

7 hours ago, maniac said:

Nope. Guys like Afridi, Ricardo Powell, Albie Morkel etc are good to have in a solid team but you can’t build a team with a X1 like that which is unpredictable. This team seems to be a collection of mercurial match winners/bits and pieces players so some of them can pull a rabbit out of the hat once in a while but seems too fluky and don’t want T20/IPL to look like a lottery.

Pace like Fiyah is the way to go.

Welcome to T20s! In IPL most teams are similar with some having better bowling, while some have better batting. Since you support SRH, here is a quick comparison:

Batting 

Saha = KW 

Gill > Abhishek 

Sudarshan < Tripathi (if GT plays a Gurbaz = Tripathi)

SDP >= Markham 

Miller >= Pooran

Tewatia > Shashank 

Rashid > Sundar  (Sundar needs to bat up) 

Bowling

Shami (140+) > Bhuvi 

Lockie (150) > Umran (150)

Joseph (150) > Jansen 

Dayal (140) = Natrajan 

Rashid > Sundar 

SDP 

Tewatia 

Edited by zen