India after Rohit & Kohli

Do you really believe the rotten superstar entitled culture will end after the retirement of last two superstars of Indian cricket- Rohit & Kohli.

Or do you believe new superstars will emerge- Pant or Gill or Hardik and continue the seniority/superstar syndrome where they become undroppable!!!!

Actually we may suffer from another syndrome, i.e., fake superstars all thanks to IPL money.

Virat Kohli for example is a superstar in all rights. Rohit is also a superstar and so is Jasprit Bumrah.

But I feel we have shifted into an era where we have 5-6 superstars and not just one even though they barely deserve that level of recognition. This includes the likes of KL Rahul, Hardik Pandya, Rishabh Pant, Shubham Gill, Shreyas Iyer and Samson and others who are also joining. These all don't deserve the recognition of true great superstar but they have the attitude and talk of a superstar. For me, if I am coining this term superstar in cricket, I look at the likes of Sachin Tendulkar, Imran Khan, Virat Kohli, Kapil Dev, Ricky Ponting, Pat Cummins, Kevin Pietersen etc. Not the likes of Rahul, Pant, Pandya and the others who are barely anything at international level today.

30 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Actually we may suffer from another syndrome, i.e., fake superstars all thanks to IPL money.

Virat Kohli for example is a superstar in all rights. Rohit is also a superstar and so is Jasprit Bumrah.

But I feel we have shifted into an era where we have 5-6 superstars and not just one even though they barely deserve that level of recognition. This includes the likes of KL Rahul, Hardik Pandya, Rishabh Pant, Shubham Gill, Shreyas Iyer and Samson and others who are also joining. These all don't deserve the recognition of true great superstar but they have the attitude and talk of a superstar. For me, if I am coining this term superstar in cricket, I look at the likes of Sachin Tendulkar, Imran Khan, Virat Kohli, Kapil Dev, Ricky Ponting, Pat Cummins, Kevin Pietersen etc. Not the likes of Rahul, Pant, Pandya and the others who are barely anything at international level today.

Be afraid very very afraid...:fear1:

33 minutes ago, wanted_desi said:

S. Iyer already thinks he is some type of superstar. Don’t get started on H Pandya.

Yes he too is suffering from that syndrome, not sure why. Maybe because he had good start with the captaincy stint few years back but at the moment these guys are nothing cricketers.

Edited by Majestic
2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

I said it in a generic way. Not attacking any specific name.

But Pandya name you have taken with those mere mortal. Pandya is greatest alrounder don't you know better than Kapil and Stokes. Don't believe stats might be coming your way in this thread or some other.

Rohit and Kohli are superstars based on their international exploits, unfortunately rest of the current batters have barely done anything in International cricket. Pant is an exception but still early days in his international Career.

Rohit:

• 2007 World T20 winner

• 2013 Champions Trophy winner

• Highest Individual ODI score (264)

• Most double hundreds in ODI Cricket (3)

• Most hundreds in T20 Internationals (4)

• Most Sixes for India in all international cricket

Kohli:

• 2011 World Cup Winner

• 2013 Champions Trophy winner

• Great batting 2nd record in ODI and T20 

• Averaging nearly over 50 in all 3 formats 

• Best Indian Test Captain

• 70 International Hundreds (3rd Overall)

6 hours ago, deepdynamo said:

Do you really believe the rotten superstar entitled culture will end after the retirement of last two superstars of Indian cricket- Rohit & Kohli.

Or do you believe new superstars will emerge- Pant or Gill or Hardik and continue the seniority/superstar syndrome where they become undroppable!!!!

We are moving into an era where it will be difficult for someone to play 3 formats simultaneously.
I think we will have players who will play at max 2 formats and not all 3. That will perhaps keep the superstar culture down and promote the performers in diff. formats.

32 minutes ago, putrevus said:

What is this nonsense rotten phrase.Kohli and Rohit earned their status with their performances. Rohit had no financial motive to become test player after initial failures but his hunger to prove himself had made him become captain in all formats.

Some morons have no clue.

Are u a 10 year old starstuck kid ??

Nobody belittling their past achievements...its the seniority culture which allows them free run in the format which even doesn't suit them.

This is rotten to the core. 

Understand kiddo. Now relax.

8 hours ago, deepdynamo said:

Every new generation has its superstars ... However, the amount of cricket has increased so many players will be forced to pick & choose series and formats, which means that in international cricket, India will usually see its full strength team in world cups ... Because of the burnout and pressure issues, along with opportunity to earn tons of money in IPL, cricketers may prefer an impactful international career than a long one

With new generation superstars, we will see new generations of fans too (hopefully, more sporting) ... Not many will talk about Rohit & Kohli in next 5 years. Like what Yuzi, Sehwag, GG, etc., do,  Rohit & Kohli will be praising the incumbent superstars and become their fans too

Edited by zen

Superstar/entitled culture is quite common, even in western countries when it comes to sports, music, cinema etc.

What happens in India is way worse, our people deify sportspersons, celebs, politicians, babas etc. Inherent weakness in Hinduism that allows this kind of nonsense, sure Hinduism is relaxed/chill/tolerant in many ways but can't escape this stupid hero worship mentality. Hell we have idiots constructing temples for cricketers and film stars in all corners of the country, and who can explain this?

Man in India builds temple for US President Donald Trump, worships him like  god | Times of India Travel

Telangana: Upset over Trump contracting Covid, his ardent fan dies of  cardiac arrest | Cities News,The Indian Express

Won't autocorrect, will be a long, slow process if at all, most probably we will never get rid of this madness of elevating ordinary people to status of deities. 

Answer to OP is this, not going away, Kapil was given the bhagwan status after 1983 (once Eden Gardens had full scale riots when he didn't feature in one of the tests against Eng), then Sachin/MSD, now Kohli, in the future even if we reach Namibia level our people will find a deity to worship, who knows might even be a trundler!!!!

15 hours ago, Majestic said:

Pant is crap in T20s these days but his test match contributions are very good. Agree with the rest of your post.

15 hours ago, Majestic said:

Pant is crap in T20s these days but his test match contributions are very good. Agree with the rest of your post.

17 hours ago, Majestic said:

yes, let's diss Pant because all he did was play a vital role (perhaps the most important one) in our greatest Test series win of all time. moreover, I would ask how many 24 y olds in the ones you listed did the same at 24? certainly not pat cummins or KP, who either didn't debut by 24 or had hardly played any games by 24.

highly unfair comparison. Pant has been poor in T20s, has been okay in ODIs (esp. 2nd half of career), and great in tests (barring in Eng)

also, going to rohit, what did he achieve in ODIs or Tests by 24?

Edited by Vijy
15 hours ago, Vijy said:

As a senior player too, he hasn't achieved much if winning WCs is a criteria. Rohit (debuted 2007) & Kohli (debuted 2008) have been playing since 15 years now. 

18 hours ago, Vijy said:

yes, let's diss Pant because all he did was play a vital role (perhaps the most important one) in our greatest Test series win of all time. moreover, I would ask how many 24 y olds in the ones you listed did the same at 24? certainly not pat cummins or KP, who either didn't debut by 24 or had hardly played any games by 24.

highly unfair comparison. Pant has been poor in T20s, has been okay in ODIs (esp. 2nd half of career), and great in tests (barring in Eng)

I am harsh on pant for t20s because of his fitness. Skill wise he is the best or up there from this generation. 

In tests pant is untouchable barring in perhaps swing conditions of England and kiwis. 

Who would people take here. Genuinely curious for all conditions? Pant or babar in tests.

In Asia no doubt pant destroys babar everywhere including u.a.e imo. Imagine those parki trundlers and spinners vs pant lol on Asian pitches. Ofocurse pakistam will conflate t20 performance with tests and think their team would fare well vs India in tests lol. Especially in Asia. 152 0 is not tests. Pant will cream them. 

In bouncy conditions, I think pant holds the edge. Babar is good vs bounce but struggles vs outside off at bounce. Pant has advantage due to being lefty.

In swing friendly tracks, I believe babar holds the edge. He is better vs swing of England and kiwi land. 

In SA, I would take pant. There is swing and bounce but pitch gets flatter in second innings as we found out last time. They tricked us. It wasn't a crumbling one. Should have batted better and picked prasidh for bounce. 

Still sour about that loss. We had it in the bag and blew it.  

22 hours ago, Vijy said:

Rohit is an all time great in LOIs and a good test opener and a five times IPL trophy winner. Hence, he has achieved the superstar tag.

Pant hasn't achieved the superstar tag yet. His LOI career has been nothing to write about. In Tests, he has done well but had shown his share of inconsistency and is more restricted to playing good knocks in specific conditions instead of all conditions. He is not a superstar yet so we shouldn't be calling him a superstar this early. However, what I can definitely agree is that he is ahead of the other names that I put in that list and that is thanks to what he did in 2020 Australia series.