How long is the rope for Hanuma Vihari?

14 hours ago, maniac said:

On principle. You have to be fair. I don’t think Sarfaraz will be good against pace either but he earned it and should get a shot. Same thing with Vihari. He did earn his chances, got a fair deal and his own responsibility.

You have to be fair only to the Team  ( in this case Team India )

Pick only those players who have a chance of succeeding at international level and win matches for their team.

Just good FC numbers (  or good IPL.Stats for T20Is ) should NOT be the parameter for Team India selection.

And that is why selectors are there.

Edited by express bowling
6 hours ago, express bowling said:

You have to be fair only to the Team  ( in this case Team India )

Pick only those players who have a chance of succeeding at international level and win matches for their team.

Just good FC numbers (  or good IPL.Stats for T20Is ) should NOT be the parameter for Team India selection.

And that is why selectors are there.

As I said numbers are needed because once you make things subjective then that leads to corruption in the system.

yes there are always exceptions to the rule like a Tendulkar etc.

You and I or for the matter of a fact anyone can’t make the determination of who is good enough or not.

A domestic cricketer who is putting in numbers day in day out is showing work ethic, hunger and performance. That should mean something. You can’t say all that is useless because they don’t look talented. That has been used both ways at times to even ruin some careers.

Yes if it is a minor give or take between some players, selectors can add additional criteria to make a decision but to ignore numbers and stats for eye test is foolish.

Selectors are there to ensure that there is a fair process also.

12 minutes ago, maniac said:

As I said numbers are needed because once you make things subjective then that leads to corruption in the system.

yes there are always exceptions to the rule like a Tendulkar etc.

You and I or for the matter of a fact anyone can’t make the determination of who is good enough or not.

A domestic cricketer who is putting in numbers day in day out is showing work ethic, hunger and performance. That should mean something. You can’t say all that is useless because they don’t look talented. That has been used both ways at times to even ruin some careers.

Yes if it is a minor give or take between some players, selectors can add additional criteria to make a decision but to ignore numbers and stats for eye test is foolish.

Selectors are there to ensure that there is a fair process also.

Stats have to be one of the factors and not the only factor.

Most people who get selected must have good FC numbers.

But not all players with good FC numbers should get selected.

And it is not subjective. How a batsmen tackles tough bowlers and tough situations have to be checked.

P.S .... Tendulkar had amazing FC numbers.

5 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Stats have to be one of the factors and not the only factor.

Most people who get selected must have good FC numbers.

But not all players with good FC numbers should get selected.

And it is not subjective. How a batsmen tackles tough bowlers and tough situations have to be checked.

P.S .... Tendulkar had amazing FC numbers.

thats correct. Someone who does well in domestics gets picked for A tours and from there to internationals. That’s the pathway.

Guys like Vihari, Iyer and some others who are in the scheme of things have come from that pathway by performing.

once you get in you need to get a fair run. That’s the point I am making.

I didn’t rate Karun Nair even after 300 and so did a lot of people on the forum but doesn’t mean he was treated fairly and it also doesn’t mean that he might have been a world beater if he got more chances. As I said there has to be some ethics and rules for selections as well.

Edited by maniac
4 hours ago, maniac said:

thats correct. Someone who does well in domestics gets picked for A tours and from there to internationals. That’s the pathway.

Guys like Vihari, Iyer and some others who are in the scheme of things have come from that pathway by performing.

once you get in you need to get a fair run. That’s the point I am making.

I didn’t rate Karun Nair even after 300 and so did a lot of people on the forum but doesn’t mean he was treated fairly and it also doesn’t mean that he might have been a world beater if he got more chances. As I said there has to be some ethics and rules for selections as well.

We all know the pathway.

Thing is ... Vihari had and still has issues against the short ball and the moving ball. Plus he is a slow batter which is ok.only for a great technician which he is not. Till the time these factors are rectified, such a batsman can never be consistent at test level. 

So, he should not have been picked in the first place till the time he rectifies these aspects.

Iyer has issues against the short ball and moving ball too. But he is a really good strokeplayer and such batters can sometimes overcome these weaknesses by sheer stokeplay. 

But both are poor candidates as test batsmen.

These factors have to be considered 

Just moving up the FC .. A-team pathway should not be enough.

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

We all know the pathway.

Thing is ... Vihari had and still has issues against the short ball and the moving ball. Plus he is a slow batter which is ok.only fir a great technician which ge is not. Till the time these factors are rectified, such a batsman can never be consistent at test level. 

So, he should not have been picked in the first place till the time he rectifies these aspects.

Iyer has issues against the short ball and moving ball too. But he is a really good strokeplayer and such batters can sometimes overcome these weaknesses by sheer stokeplay. 

But both are poor candidates as test batsmen.

These factors have to be considered 

Just moving up the FC .. A-team pathway should not be enough.

you are not going to get a ready made player from domestics.

Kohli struggled against Fidel Edwards short pitch. He had no clue against Anderson in his first English tour. Still people backed him as he was cashing in everywhere else and he eventually came good.

the criteria you seem to be picking is post selection. Obviously Iyer and Vihari have issues against pace and short bowling. Vihari got his chances, didn’t improve so no one has issues if he is dropped. Iyer we can see he has issues but he had 3 chances and he performed in 2 out of 3. Eventually if he fails in the next 2-3 games there are others in line.

Thats fair in my book.

I don’t agree in judging a player who has earned his shot till he is given a fair run.

Vihari got his, we saw he doesn’t belong. It’s Iyers turn followed by Sarfaraz. That seems fair to me. Do you have someone you think that is missing out? Maybe I should have asked that before.

16 minutes ago, maniac said:

you are not going to get a ready made player from domestics.

Kohli struggled against Fidel Edwards short pitch. He had no clue against Anderson in his first English tour. Still people backed him as he was cashing in everywhere else and he eventually came good.

the criteria you seem to be picking is post selection. Obviously Iyer and Vihari have issues against pace and short bowling. Vihari got his chances, didn’t improve so no one has issues if he is dropped. Iyer we can see he has issues but he had 3 chances and he performed in 2 out of 3. Eventually if he fails in the next 2-3 games there are others in line.

Thats fair in my book.

I don’t agree in judging a player who has earned his shot till he is given a fair run.

Vihari got his, we saw he doesn’t belong. It’s Iyers turn followed by Sarfaraz. That seems fair to me. Do you have someone you think that is missing out? Maybe I should have asked that before.

That's a very bookish approach.

While one does not get ready-made players in domestics, there are some players who show potential and some who look very sub-par.

Young Kohli struggled against the magical swing of Anderson in very swing friendly conditions and against the extreme pace of Edwards ... but he looked great on most other occasions.

How many times has Vihari looked good against decent bowling  ??  And that was the case in his pre-debut days too. Has he ever bossed sharpish pace or moderate swing ?  

You pick a player who is destined to be a journeyman and you will get mediocre results.

17 hours ago, maniac said:

On principle. You have to be fair. I don’t think Sarfaraz will be good against pace either but he earned it and should get a shot. Same thing with Vihari. He did earn his chances, got a fair deal and his own responsibility.

yes u have to be fair for some rope has to be cut short for longer good

With sarfraz i also have a feel he might get troubled with short ball but their is no proof of that and everyone wud have some issue. Problem with iyer i have is he has too many problem areas . In home condition he can destory finger spinners n score plenty which im also convinced about vihari if u make him bat at 3. But do we want such condition limited batsman ?

Vihari im not surprised, i was never convinced about him in overseas condition , even his first fifty in england he looked in trouble when stokes used bouncers against him. 

Every single batsman have some weakness or other. Either temperament or technique.  I truly backed Gill because he had the ability to make the late adjustment. Over a period he has developed bad habits. Even when he played under-19 his game looked a lot secure. Disappointed about his development. But he still has not reached a stage where he needs a break. Shaw/Agarwal both these guys have too many weaknesses to address. Remember KL Rahul repeatedly getting clean bowled. It took a while for him to develop into a half decent batsman. Shaw will be an absolute box office player like Pant f only he can work on some of his short comings. It is very hard for aggressive opener to be consistent everywhere. Jayasuriya did okay in England. But Donald had his number in SA 5 out of 6 innings he succumbed to him. Poor in Australia also. His strike rate was over 60 in all the countries he played. Average not the same.  Same with Sehwag. Same with Srikkanth. Same with Warner. In helpful conditions aggressive players are going to be a lottery. I don't think Shaw has reached even that level yet. But we should not abandon him.

It looks like they want a player in Dravid- Pujara mould and Vihari seems best fit for that role.

However time is running short and we need to move on soon.

Gill will be my pick to be no. 3 eventually. Open with Rohit/Rahul and backup Mayank and Shaw.

1 hour ago, Lord said:

It looks like they want a player in Dravid- Pujara mould and Vihari seems best fit for that role.

However time is running short and we need to move on soon.

Gill will be my pick to be no. 3 eventually. Open with Rohit/Rahul and backup Mayank and Shaw.

He is feisty, dogged like Pujara, Dravid. There ends the comparison. Otherwise he is not even at Pujara level let alone Dravid level.  May be at no.6 he can be handy in stalling the collapse (while going nowhere)

On 7/1/2022 at 10:16 PM, Sean Bradley said:

With so much of talent waiting in the wings, it will be a grave injustice to someone like Sarfaraz if we see Vihari in the Whites again representing India.

Vihari had high average in Ranji before being selected. Did he impress? What is the guarantee that Sarfaraz will succeed? Our Ranji bowlers are useless, scoring heavily against them don't matter.

12 hours ago, express bowling said:

That's a very bookish approach.

While one does not get ready-made players in domestics, there are some players who show potential and some who look very sub-par.

Young Kohli struggled against the magical swing of Anderson in very swing friendly conditions and against the extreme pace of Edwards ... but he looked great on most other occasions.

How many times has Vihari looked good against decent bowling  ??  And that was the case in his pre-debut days too. Has he ever bossed sharpish pace or moderate swing ?  

You pick a player who is destined to be a journeyman and you will get mediocre results.

Would be very interested in your XI if you have the chance to pick for India, as you know the domestic scene a lot better than me.

Having walking wickets in Pujara,Vihari and Kohli is a luxury India cannot afford, they can get away for a match or two with players like Pant, Jaddu contributing heavily etc but not for a series.

Am I wrong in saying that in current form, Ashwin would have been better as Opener, at 3 or 4 over Pujara, Vihari and Kohli. As stupid as it sounds, I feel its reality.

Those 3 clowns cannot be the best Test batsmen India have available?

2 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Would be very interested in your XI if you have the chance to pick for India, as you know the domestic scene a lot better than me.

I follow upcoming Indian Fast bowlers a lot more closely than upcoming batsmen.

And I think we would both like to see how a batsman does against tough bowlers. Want to check out Dhull, Sarfraz, Rinku Singh and Jaiswal against such bowlers.

1. Rahul

2. Rohit  

3. Gill

4. Pant

5. Shreyas. (  maybe stop gap )

6. Washington 

7. Jadeja

8. Shardul

9. Shami

10. Bumrah

11. Prasidh