The World T20 squad selection!

During a Sky Sports segment yesterday, Morgan explained that England's LOI setup and squad selection focused on what type of players were needed for a tournament in a particular country and then they tried to get the best players for these roles. 

This seemed like common sense but then I realised our farcical selections for the 2019 World Cup in England when at one point we had 3 spinners and 3 wicketkeeper bats which was absolutely shambolic.

So, considering the World T20 is in a SENA country, my squad of XV would have

6 batsmen, 1 wk bat, 1 AR, 5 pacers and 2 spinners. Considering this template, what would your XV be?

Ind tends to pick players based on how they do in Indian conditions. Also if one keeps or bowls, it does not mean he is not good enough to play as a batsman in the 11 - Eng plays Buttler, Bairstow, Billings, etc. 

Anyways, my potential 15 at the moment per conditions and the criteria in the OP:

7 batsmen including WK: Gill/Samson, KL/Samson, Hooda, SKY, SDP (Hardik), DK, & Pant/Samson 

1 AR: Sundar (if fit and firing as he can bowl in PP too) or V Iyer/Tewatia (for batting and to bowl an over or two here and there) or Jadeja (more like an ODI option) if batting well 

5 pacers (may include trundlers): Bumrah, Moshin, Umran, Harshal, & D Chahar (if fit and firing) … Harshal & D Chahar can bat a bit too … One or two from Bhuvi, Shami, Umesh, Avesh, Arshdeep, Nattu, Prasidh, Thakur, etc. if D Chahar and Harshal are not bowling well

2 spinners: Yuzi & Kuldeep 

Edited by zen

The pacers who may work in Australia (  tall, hit the deck pacers )  have not been tried in the preparatory games except Avesh. So, it would be difficult to include them now. 

Similarly, batters like Shreyas, with acute issues against bounce, have occupied slots in the preparatory matches.

Anyway .... based on information we have till now. May change later.

1. Rohit  ( as he is the captain )

2. Pant

3. SKY

4. Rahul  (  bats better at 4 in LOIs )

5. Hooda

6. Hardik

7. Jadeja

8. Harshal

9. Bumrah 

10. Avesh / Mohsin

11. Chahal

12. Kishan

13. Karthick

14. D.Chahar ( backup all-rounder )

15. Mohsin / Avesh

16. Kuldeep

....  Need atleast 2 hit-the deck pacers in the playing 11  for Australia  (  and 3 in the squad ) who can bowl slower balls too.

.... Must try Mohsin in the next few T20Is.

.... Wrist spinners will be ideal for Australia 

.... 1 dashing opener is needed

.... My team has 7 bowling options.

.... There is batting till 8 and all can hit.

.... D.Chahar comes in if any of the all-rounders Hardik, Jadeja or Harshal are injured 

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, express bowling said:

The pacers who may work in Australia (  tall, hit the deck pacers )  have not been tried in the preparatory games except Avesh. So, it would be difficult to include them now. 

Similarly, batters like Shreyas, with acute issues against bounce, have occupied slots in the preparatory matches.

Anyway .... based on information we have till now. May change later.

2. Pant

3. SKY

5. Hooda

6. Hardik

7. Jadeja

8. Harshal

9. Bumrah 

10. Avesh / Mohsin

11. Chahal

12. Kishan

13. Karthick

14. D.Chahar ( backup all-rounder )

15. Mohsin / Avesh

16. Kuldeep

....  Need atleast 2 hit-the deck pacers in the playing 11  for Australia  (  and 3 in the squad ) who can bowl slower balls too.

.... Must try Mohsin in the next few T20Is.

.... Wrist spinners will be ideal for Australia 

.... 1 dashing opener is needed

.... My team has 7 bowling options.

.... There is batting till 8 and all can hit.

.... Deepak comes in if any of the all-rounders Hardik, Jadeja or Harshal are injured 

Arshdeep is Tall & gets decent bounce...  I'll take him over Avesh both bowl at similar pace.  His new ball & death over skill is superior than Avesh.  Allows us to use Bumrah as enforcer in middle overs. 

8 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Arshdeep is Tall & gets decent bounce...  I'll take him over Avesh both bowl at similar pace.  His new ball & death over skill is superior than Avesh.  Allows us to use Bumrah as enforcer in middle overs. 

Arshdeep is not a hit the deck bowler but a floaty bowler ( not that skiddy either ).  Very different from Avesh. 

Hit the deck pacers work in Australia.

8 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Arshdeep is not a hit the deck bowler but a floaty bowler ( not that skiddy either ).  Very different from Avesh. 

Avesh doesn't look skiddy either...  But yes he hits the deck hard.  From what I saw in Southampton which looked more like a Aussie pitch..  Arshdeep was generating decent lift off the deck & bowling in high 138-139 range.   Writing him off won't be a good idea.  

Let's see if he gets a chance in ODI series. 

1. Pant
  2. Rohit
  3. Kohli 
  4. KL
  5. SKY
  6. Hardik
  7. Hooda
  8. DK
  9. Jadeja (although i want Krunal)
  10. Ashwin
  11. Chahal
  12. Bhuvi
  13. Bumrah
  14. Harshal
  15. Umran
  16. Arshdeep/Nattu/ Mohsin/Deepak Chahar/Avesh (any 1)

Wish i cud make a 18 member squad so i can cover more bases like having kishen so i can have at least one more leftie 

This will be mine and ill stick by it till the end 

11 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Avesh doesn't look skiddy either...  But yes he hits the deck hard.  From what I saw in Southampton which looked more like a Aussie pitch..  Arshdeep was generating decent lift off the deck & bowling in high 138-139 range.   Writing him off won't be a good idea.  

Let's see if he gets a chance in ODI series. 

Avesh is not skiddy but he bowls a heavy ball.

I missed the Southampton match but I have faith in your observations.

If Arshdeep gets zip and bounce off the deck then he can be a good bowler .... because he has the height and accuracy. 

Did Arshdeep get zip off the deck ??

Rohit

Rahul

Kishan

Kohli

Pant

Hooda

SKY

Pandya

Jadeja

Bhuvi

Bumrah

Arshdeep

Harshal

Yuzi

Kuldeep

16th man will be all rounder and it depends on form and fitness both. It will be Deepak Chahar or Washington Sundar or Venky Iyer or Ashwin.

This team is lacking in genuine pace but this is how it is going now.

38 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Avesh is not skiddy but he bowls a heavy ball.

I missed the Southampton match but I have faith in your observations.

If Arshdeep gets zip and bounce off the deck then he can be a good bowler .... because he has the height and accuracy. 

Did Arshdeep get zip off the deck ??

Yes he did initially...  He did not bowl bumpers or anything but his short off good length balls were getting decent enough bounce maybe coz of pitch.  He actually surprised me with his pace.  Bowled a couple around 140k as well. 

8 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

so pick Umran

Umran right now is not ready for a ICC WT20 event.   He has to play around 15 games to finally reach at Haris Rauf & maybe around 25-30 to Anrich Nortje level. 

He should be getting these random bilateral games & kept with national side to further improve. 

22 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Bhuvi

Bumrah

Arshdeep

Harshal

This team is lacking in genuine pace but this is how it is going now.

Bumrah gives genuine pace.

What this attack lacks is genuine bounce because Bumrah of 2022 does not have the bounce that he did in the 2017 to mid 2021 period.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Correct.

Which is why Bhuvi at his pace will be slaughtered and batsmen will hit him all the way back to India.

I like your team selection:

2. Pant

3. SKY

5. Hooda

6. Hardik

7. Jadeja

8. Harshal

9. Bumrah 

10. Avesh / Mohsin

11. Chahal

Dont know enough about Hooda at 5 and a little concerned about Harshal.

Outside of that its the right combination. First 3 batsmen can all score heavy, quickly and destroy an atttack.

Hardik and Jaddu can finish an innings. KL is the right middle order here.

India is limited in batting with 9,10 and 11, but these guys will never really win you a match batting, but they can win a match bowling.