Azaadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav

coffee_rules

Happy Independence Day to all.  A young nation that has grown tremendously in a short period of time - from achieving food security in the 1960s-70s to incredible economic growth starting in the 90s, India has given a lot to the world. Now, it is time to keep pressing forward on economic upliftment (zero hunger, zero poverty) and education for all (zero illiteracy).  Appreciate past glories. but keep looking ahead to future growth via indigenously developed modern science and technology.

12 hours ago, sandeep said:

Vande Mataram.

Decades away from India, but it is still my motherland.  

janani janmabhoomischa svargaadapi gariyasi.

Oh yessir ... the janmabhoomi vs karmabhoomi dilemma.

Personally, I often think of the "what-ifs" in the immigrant journey. The intent was always to go back after getting a PhD to contribute to India's agbiotech sector. But I was an average Joe - simply not good enough to get a job in the then thin market in India. One company offered me a position "verbally", but would not talk salary until I moved. The risk was too much to bear, and not being entrepreneurial, I decided not to be Trishanku. So, American roots were put out.  No regrets, but the what-ifs do remain.

4 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Oh yessir ... the janmabhoomi vs karmabhoomi dilemma.

Personally, I often think of the "what-ifs" in the immigrant journey. The intent was always to go back after getting a PhD to contribute to India's agbiotech sector. But I was an average Joe - simply not good enough to get a job in the then thin market in India. One company offered me a position "verbally", but would not talk salary until I moved. The risk was too much to bear, and not being entrepreneurial, I decided not to be Trishanku. So, American roots were put out.  No regrets, but the what-ifs do remain.

So many folks have the same thought - "I'll seriously consider moving back after 'x' years, or 'x' amount in the piggy bank".  But reality is that we are here now, and our kids are rooted here, and by extension so are we.  Best I can try to do is to attempt exposing the next generation to the culture, the vibe, coupled with as many trips as possible to the 'homeland', and see how that goes. 

Honestly speaking for all the progress that India has made in the last couple of decades - and it has been massive - but still, there are major risks associated at basic quality of life issues if you move back.  Think back to early days of Covid - bottomline is that as a citizen of the US, we got access to vaccines super early.  And in case of the pandemic really going south, we don't have to worry about basic staples like uninterrupted electricity supply, stocking up on groceries, essentials etc.  I mean, there's a reason why such a flood of promising young talent leaves Indian soil every day in pursuit of foreign 'karmabhoomi'.  It is what it is.  There is no 'right' or 'wrong'.  Each person's situations are different.  

Edited by sandeep

^ I would say yes and no. Yes there are risks but there are also opportunities. Yes the quality of life is not comparable but then life itself is not comparable. India cannot and should not be benchmarked to western mode of life. I still believe that if one has the money is upper middle class, it's best country in the world. 

But yes we are running a major risk of losing our talent. The delta advantage of moving abroad is shrinking but quality of life and peace of mind remains a factor. But then Shakti is returning back to this land. It will be an era of India and SE Asia. 

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

So many folks have the same thought - "I'll seriously consider moving back after 'x' years, or 'x' amount in the piggy bank".  But reality is that we are here now, and our kids are rooted here, and by extension so are we.  Best I can try to do is to attempt exposing the next generation to the culture, the vibe, coupled with as many trips as possible to the 'homeland', and see how that goes. 

Honestly speaking for all the progress that India has made in the last couple of decades - and it has been massive - but still, there are major risks associated at basic quality of life issues if you move back.  Think back to early days of Covid - bottomline is that as a citizen of the US, we got access to vaccines super early.  And in case of the pandemic really going south, we don't have to worry about basic staples like uninterrupted electricity supply, stocking up on groceries, essentials etc.  I mean, there's a reason why such a flood of promising young talent leaves Indian soil every day in pursuit of foreign 'karmabhoomi'.  It is what it is.  There is no 'right' or 'wrong'.  Each person's situations are different.  

QoL is all but a mirage. It’s all upto where one is happy. I tried to move back in 2015 and I didn’t experience any QoL issues except maybe traffic. Lived in a gated community close to work, was near to family and cousins . Had all comforts of domestic help for the house, cook, driver etc , 24 hr electricity, water, close to hospitals and clinics. Went on vacations to places you’d dream of. Except for kids’ schooling, I was much happy there than here in those two years. Had I gone 10 years earlier, it would have been easy on kids. 
Back here, in Covid times, had a recent health scare, surgery was delayed due to no hospital beds, overcrowded with Covid cases. If everything is ok,  it looks very good. If sh1t hits the fan, anyplace can be as bad.