'I'm done with BCCI... It's a taboo over 30. People treat us as 80-year-olds': Vijay aims for 'opportunities abroad'

sage

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/im-done-with-bcci-people-treat-us-like-80-year-olds-murali-vijay-s-cheeky-dig-aims-for-opportunities-abroad-101673618368731.html

“After 30 in India, it’s a taboo (smiles). I think people see us as 80-year-olds walking on street. The media should also address it differently. I feel you are peaking in your 30s. Sitting here right now, I feel I can bat the best way I can. But unfortunately, the opportunities were less, and I had to search for chances outside.

This is loose talk from vijay, sounds ungrateful, he was brought back in the test team in 2013 against aus without having any runs a the domestic level, he had two bad fc seasons and one Irani cup game he scored a century, so he was backed on potential because Mukund was consistent all throughout, Vijay offcourse cemented his place for 4-5 years but often got out after getting starts, his last few series overseas were bad, three of them infact and his dropping was justified, he was never a big run scorer at the fc level, not sarfaraz or Shaw level, not even rahane, vihari or pujara level, panchal, eashwaran, Agarwal, Shaw and now gill the competition was to high and if anything he got full backing.

‘I didn’t get the freedom of Virender Sehwag, whatever he got in his life, I didn’t’: Murali Vijay

“When Sehwag was there, I felt controlling my instincts and playing was hard but to see him go through that kind of freedom was something spectacular”- Murali Vijay

Untitled-design-17-4.jpg

India opener Murali Vijay, the highest run scorer for the visitors in the 2014 Test series in England, has revealed what it was like to play alongside Virender Sehwag and how it impacted his career.

“Consciously, I didn’t get the freedom of Virender Sehwag to be honest. Whatever Sehwag got in his life, I didn’t. If I could have got that kind of backing and open-spreaded talks, I could have also tried,” the 38-year-old batter told Sportstar.

“The honest thing is the team’s backing and how you can contribute to the team at an international level. It’s a high-level competition and you don’t have many chances to experiment in different ways,” Vijay added.

Speaking on playing with legendary opener Virender Sehwag, Vijay said, “When Sehwag was there, I felt controlling my instincts and playing was hard but to see him go through that kind of freedom was something spectacular.”

“Only he could have done that. Nobody else I feel could have played like Sehwag. What he did for Indian cricket was amazing. Different… he is something else which I have seen visually. I had the privilege to interact with him. It was so simple. He kept his mantra so simple – See the ball and hit. He was in that mode; singing songs to 145-150 kph bowlers. You are experiencing something else. It’s not normal,” he further added.

Vijay last featured in a Test for India in December 2018 during the tour of Australia. In his 61 Test career for India, he scored 3982 runs averaging 38.29. This included 12 centuries and 15 fifties. He also featured in 17 ODIs for India, scoring only 339 runs.

In his esteemed first-class career, the right hander played 135 matches, scoring 9205 runs including 25 hundreds and 38 half centuries.

Edited by rollingstoned
7 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

What the eff is he on about, you think Sehwag was on your level :whack2:

Vijay was one of the technically correct  and talended openers we had last decade.

Played well in SA in 2013 then his century at Gabba 2014-15 was one of his best innings. Looked class while playing his shots but just like KL lacked the fire and hunger which elite players have to get better each day.

Edited by Number
4 minutes ago, Number said:

Vijay was one of the technically correct  and talended openers we had last decade.

Played well in SA in 2013 then his century at Gabba 2014-15 was one of his best innings. Looked class while playing his shots but just like KL lacked the fire and hunger which elite players have to get better each day.

The runs he scored were on relatively flat decks, 2018 away season had monster pitches and Vijay also failed there.

Tbh he should be grateful that he got to play for India for a steady number of years. Honestly why do players demand they play so much, it's a team sport and there are numerous people out there. Next we may have Mohit Sharma asking why he didn't play as much as Yadav and Shami

It's good that he gets to play abroad, use it. Can have decent income till into his 40s, become a coach or something after using his experience of having played international cricket

Sick and tired of entitlement wallah attitude by seniors and ex-players. Harbhajan, Yuvraj, Gambhir, Dhawan, now this guy, And imagine comparing himself with an ATG like Viru, This joker should have been discarded 2 years before he eventually was.

Maybe he is annoyed that Kela continues to get a run with 34 average, or that loser Rahane till last year, not wrong that way But still an entitled crybaby. STFU Vijay.

19 minutes ago, Number said:

He left well and played with soft hands, he had his issues with the incoming delivery, plus never really got fully forward, he was a sound player and got enough chances.

27 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Maybe he is annoyed that Kela continues to get a run with 34 average, or that loser Rahane till last year, not wrong that way But still an entitled crybaby. STFU Vijay.

It's probably this since tbf to him he is a damn sight better opener than anyone else we have had since he retired imo. Which is where the Viru comparison makes no sense since he was never that sort of player even if he had it in him to smash spinners and got an extended run at CSK due to Dhoni. 

3 hours ago, Mesky99 said:

This is loose talk from vijay, sounds ungrateful, he was brought back in the test team in 2013 against aus without having any runs a the domestic level, he had two bad fc seasons and one Irani cup game he scored a century, so he was backed on potential because Mukund was consistent all throughout, Vijay offcourse cemented his place for 4-5 years but often got out after getting starts, his last few series overseas were bad, three of them infact and his dropping was justified, he was never a big run scorer at the fc level, not sarfaraz or Shaw level, not even rahane, vihari or pujara level, panchal, eashwaran, Agarwal, Shaw and now gill the competition was to high and if anything he got full backing.

For a brief period he was the best opener in the world . There should be a different yard stick to judge test openers especially considering he played a lot of overseas tours. He was sacrificed to accommodate Virats friends, could have easily played few more years. 

Just now, jusarrived said:

For a brief period he was the best opener in the world . There should be a different yard stick to judge test openers especially considering he played a lot of overseas tours. He was sacrificed to accommodate Virats friends, could have easily played few more years. 

That said he hasnt done anything domestic to be brought back . unnecessary talk.