Is Arshdeep overrated?

Texan

21 hours ago, zen said:

Appears as if you know nothing about him bowling 5 no balls (also he is the bowler with the most no balls since 2022. The next worst at that point was 5, which Arshdeep bowled in a single game) at crucial stages against SL and then the 27 runs last over (which is similar to someone hitting 7 4s in an over, bowled a no ball too) versus NZ. 

Everyone who knows knows what the conditions were in Melbourne. Don’t make general statements to specific points.

Every bowler goes through phase of no balls. If you been recently watching may be you don’t know that. Zaheer had this problem and other had this too. It is getting the run up correct. It is fixable.

Edited by gattaca
1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Natrajan played a test :) Actually he was not bad. Thakur was a T20 bowler when he was picked.  Sometimes you get lucky. Having said that he has to understand the rigors of Test match bowling first. 

he has played 2 seasons I think

Imo..Arshdeep is not the answer to our bowling woes but he is a good option for time being..

Pros: Left armer,Good Yorkers,Good Bouncers,Swing,Slow balls variations.

can crank up pace to 145 if worked upon.

Cons:Massive No ball problems,Runup/balance..average pace still on lower side per my liking..

tendency to float the ball

Though he isnt an exciting prospect but he has helped ys during the absence of Bumrah and and tried to cover poor death bowling Bhuvi

so to answer the question is he overrated..yes he is but he can be worked upon to give better performanves while Sen,Umran,Tyagi wtc are still not deemed elligible by TM

PS:I am only talking about T20 bowling..he is not a test/odi bowler in my books

Absolutely Unacceptable: Gautam Gambhir’s Massive Remark On Arshdeep Singh Ahead Of IND Vs NZ 3rd T20I

New Delhi: Hardik Pandya-led Team India is set to take on New Zealand in the third and final T20I of the series at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad on February 1. The series is currently leveled at 1-1 after India managed to edge in a thrilling victory in the second T20I.

Gautam Gambhir and Arshdeep Singh (credit: Twitter)

The Men in Blue side would compete in a crucial series decider on Wednesday. Ahead of the 3rd T20I former Indian opener Gautam Gambhir has advised Arshdeep Singh to stick with basics. Lately, Arshdeep has been leaking lots of runs, and him bowling no balls has been the talk of the town.

Gambhir backed Arshdeep in the department of bowling economy but advised him to work on no balls.”I think. these numbers are fine, It can go south and it can go north. But the most important thing is you can’t afford to bowl those no-balls. That is absolutely unacceptable, especially at this level, and it can come back to hurt you and the team big time,” he told Star Sports.

“And that is exactly what happened in the previous game. Just keep the basics right. See, World Cup conditions are completely different from what you normally get back home. In Australia, it was swinging and it was still bouncing, decent carry as well with the new ball. But when you play at the sub-continent, these are flat wickets,” Gambhir added.

Gambhir also advised him to work on variation as he lacks lethal pace like Umran Malik and Mohammed Siraj. “You gonna have something different up your sleeves whether it’s a slower one or a slower bouncer. Some kind of variation. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have the speed to actually rattle the batsmen. So he’s got to develop some variation. He is not Umran Malik, he’s not Mohammed Siraj. So one thing he needs to do is probably try and keep it very simple and sort his no balls out which is equally important,” he concluded.

Bit harsh isn't it? The bowler himself isn't asking to be rated. He was picked out of nowhere to play for the national side due to some IPL performances. He hasn't played too much cricket and has only 7 FC games. Thanks to IPL and a host of domestic T20 tournaments he has 76 games in that format. He only has 20 LA games as well. Give him some time. He like Umran Malik is raw and needs some time. No need to call him overrated as yet. Needs to play lot of domestic cricket to gain the required experience. We are not that great with picking inexperienced bowlers and moulding them. We have never been successful in our history with something like that. We normally like to pick finished products from domestic cricket (someone with 20-30 FC games).

Umran Malik and Arshdeep have been the outliers. Both have been playing domestic cricket for less than 5 years and have no real experience. Arshdeep has the talent, he has decent pace, good control over swing, he needs to be persisted with at least in T20. Should not play other formats until he gains enough experience bowling longer spells in domestic cricket or on A tours.