Always the bridesmaid but never the bride

South Africa never seem to fulfil their potential.

When they are not losing to Australia in semi cup finals (99, 03, 23), they are either losing to minnows or getting their numbers wrong for rain affected matches.

Just what is it with them and crunch situations?

:wall:

Edited by EnterTheVoid

They are not that good simply.

They have good strokemakers and bowlers who can bowl at good pace. But they don't have many players who look fully motivated to make a difference in batting, bowling and fielding by either grinding out for hours on a difficult wicket or producing a game changing spell.

SA is a team who except for 1999 were never destined to win the World Cup and hence they didn't won.

4 hours ago, EnterTheVoid said:

South Africa never seem to fulfil their potential.

When they are not losing to Australia in semi cup finals (99, 03, 23), they are either losing to minnows or getting their numbers wrong for rain affected matches.

Just what is it with them and crunch situations?

:wall:

07 not 03.

Their peak was the 90s, they were really unlucky in 1992 and 1999, they were probably the best team in both tournaments. 

It's a shame that a country with such a rich cricket produce has never won the world cup.

They lack the nerves and have been extremely unlucky at the same time.

They need someone to get them out of this rut. Bavuma is not a right choice for Captain, he doesn't inspire confidence. If not for captaincy, he would even struggle to make it into their ODI XI.  

I watched that last 2 overs in 2015 I can't believe how many chances they missed in  those moments

1) QDK missed a simple collection run out, Batsman was yards out

2) Steyn missed a simple run out from 2 feet 

3) Fahreden catch was almost certain to be caught then that duminy guy knocked it off

4) There was another catch that lande in no man's land

5) One more run out chance didn't even attempt

3 hours ago, NameGoesHere said:

They’ve improved. 

Plus I wonder how good they’ll be if there wasn’t reservation.

it’s the Indian equivalent of a Math Olympiad face off with one team bringing its best and another with one or two blokes who’ve made it via reservation.  

They would have been far better team if there wasn't systematic discrimination against Blacks.

Which quota player screwed them up in 1992, 1999, 2003 and 2007 and 2015?

1992 team had all XI white players.

1999 team had XI white players. 

31 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

They would have been far better team if there wasn't systematic discrimination against Blacks.

Which quota player screwed them up in 1992, 1999, 2003 and 2007 and 2015?

1992 team had all XI white players.

1999 team had XI white players. 

First part is your conjecture and second part is your assumption. Since 90s SA has slowly adopted 6 non white player policy. Not sure where is the systemic discrimination against them. On the contrary, likes of Petersen and Trott had to leave SA for lack of fair opportunity.

For the record, I am for reservation with checks.

24 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

First part is your conjecture and second part is your assumption. Since 90s SA has slowly adopted 6 non white player policy. Not sure where is the systemic discrimination against them. On the contrary, likes of Petersen and Trott had to leave SA for lack of fair opportunity.

For the record, I am for reservation with checks.

I know first part is conjecture and it was reply to another conjecture that they would have been better team with white players.

As for discrimination part, I admit I don't know enough. I don't live in SA and my source of information is very little I come across in news and forums. 

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/south-africa-to-review-ombudsman-report-on-discrimination-101639590698756.html

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/sjn-report-says-csa-discriminated-against-players-on-the-basis-of-race-1293419

42 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

This team is very young. Many of them playing their first WCs. They will be there again in next one. 

2015 was probably their worst choke with collective failure

ADBV failing to collect the ball when NZ were 204-4

image.png

Yesterday De Kock dropped a catch at fag end of the inning although match was almost lost by that time. He had missed easy run out chance when NZ needed 25 runs.

image.png

ABDV missed another easy run out when 23 runs were needed.

image.png

image.png

And this when only 14 were needed, they dropped Eliott.

image.png

De Kock and Steyn both missing run out when 6 were needed off 3

image.png