Gautam Gambhir unhappy with Rahul's batting in World Cup final

sage

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/this-is-not-1990s-india-would-ve-been-champions-if-gautam-gambhir-not-happy-with-kl-rahul-in-world-cup-final-101700572896005.html

Gautam Gambhir said the result of World Cup 2023 final could have different had India batters like KL Rahul taken more risks in the middle overs.

“It's a double-edged sword. But I have always said this, the most courageous team will go on to win the World Cup. I can understand that you need time to build a partnership but 11 to 40 overs is a very, very long time. Someone should have taken that risk,” Gambhir told Sportskeeda.

“I would have actually liked India going really aggressive with their top 6-7 batters even if they had been all out for 150. I would have been fine. But if you feel you can defend 240 in a World Cup final...that is not where you fight. It is either this way or that. Either we go 150 all out or 300. That is where India have lacked. That is where India have not gone on to win ICC tournaments. Rohit should have sent the message before the game that even if I get out we should go aggressive,” he said.

“Kohli has played a role of anchoring the innings, but the rest all should have been aggressive. KL should have gone. What harm would it have caused? We would have been 150 all out. But had we been brave, we could scored 310 and India would have been world champions. This is not the 1990s. 240 is not a good score at all. You need 300-plus totals. India were not brave enough,” said Gambhir.

27 minutes ago, Insidious said:

In that pitch it was impossible to play quickly especially after 1st 10 overs. It is not that due to quick wickets india played slowly. India played slowly because of the two paced nature of pitch. 

Give the same situation in wankhade or Bengaluru and we would have definitely scored 350 even after losing quick wickets.

Still unacceptable 

Played poorly but this is what happens when you have unproven guys like SKY coming after him. Lack of batting depth will always lead to such issues. 

If even after this, we continue to play with a bowling heavy balance, then I'm not sure what else can be done . We need batting all-rounders desperately or the ODI team will never be in a position to win World Cups. 

Also, it's important to make balanced wickets for KO's at the very least.

If it's an overly red-soil pitch,  it will favour the side batting first and if it's overly black soil surface, it becomes a pancake under lights with moisture hardening the clay and making it firm with consistent pace and bounce.

Wankhede and Chinnaswamy especially are more balanced.  Should have had India's KO's at these 2 venues.

2 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

If it's an overly red-soil pitch,  it will favour the side batting first and if it's overly black soil surface, it becomes a pancake under lights with moisture hardening the clay and making it firm with consistent pace and bounce.

Wankhede and Chinnaswamy especially are more balanced.  Should have had India's KO's at these 2 venues.

Ultimate KLPD sadly.

7 hours ago, Insidious said:

In that pitch it was impossible to play quickly especially after 1st 10 overs. It is not that due to quick wickets india played slowly. India played slowly because of the two paced nature of pitch. 

Give the same situation in wankhade or Bengaluru and we would have definitely scored 350 even after losing quick wickets.

Rahul failed to rotate the strike and that's on him, nothing to do with slowness of the picth. I can understand the overs between 10-20 but thereafter there is no reason why we did not try harder for 1s and 2s..we atleast would have got another 30-35 runs if we were aggressive with our running. And then Sky who is supposed to be an expert for last 10 overs also went into a complete shell giving strike to Shami and Kuldeep.

GAmbhir is one player who is highly under rated and him joining a political party hasnt helped much. But TBH, I have allways agreed with his comments and He is generally spot on most of times. We were too defnesive and players bucckled under pressure. It was evident in the manner every player approached the match.

1 hour ago, RajBan said:

Rahul failed to rotate the strike and that's on him, nothing to do with slowness of the picth. I can understand the overs between 10-20 but thereafter there is no reason why we did not try harder for 1s and 2s..we atleast would have got another 30-35 runs if we were aggressive with our running. And then Sky who is supposed to be an expert for last 10 overs also went into a complete shell giving strike to Shami and Kuldeep.

Sky is no experts, he is

4 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

There is nothing wrong with the venue but with the pitch. The final was played on a used pitch which was abrasive and sluggish but miraculously change its nature under lights. Had it been a fresh pitch, things could have been different. It would have been fair to both the teams. 

5 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Played poorly but this is what happens when you have unproven guys like SKY coming after him. Lack of batting depth will always lead to such issues. 

If even after this, we continue to play with a bowling heavy balance, then I'm not sure what else can be done . We need batting all-rounders desperately or the ODI team will never be in a position to win World Cups. 

We need bowling alrounders to lengthen batting at 7-8-9. Batting alrounders hardly matter.