Death of test cricket : RSA tour of NZ

goose

14 minutes ago, Norman said:

How is this IPL's fault?

IPL effectively owns Cricket South Africa, and the directive is play our game if you want our help. IPL / BCCI are custodians of the sport and they pursuing wilful destruction of test cricket. They will tell you it’s dying nobody wants it. No it’s just harder to monetise.

59 minutes ago, Norman said:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. 

IPL franchise owners/ownerships running teams in the SA20 leagues? Yes..

IPL owning South African cricket? That's a galactic stretch...

why do you think IPL owners are buying every team under the sun, across multiple geographies (UAE, SA, USA). they want to disrupt and knock out all obstacles to their plans. CSA being forced to guarantee it's contracted players choose SA20 over tests is just one example. so yeh i hold IPL and BCCI accountable for the death of test cricket. they chose to monetise the sport instead of preserving the game's most precious format

12 hours ago, goose said:

why do you think IPL owners are buying every team under the sun, across multiple geographies (UAE, SA, USA). they want to disrupt and knock out all obstacles to their plans. CSA being forced to guarantee it's contracted players choose SA20 over tests is just one example. so yeh i hold IPL and BCCI accountable for the death of test cricket. they chose to monetise the sport instead of preserving the game's most precious format

What plans exactly?

And how on earth are individual IPL owners doing what they're doing a responsibility of BCCI?  I have my own qualms with BCCI and IPL but let's be objective and reasonable here. 

10 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

Cricket is not evolving.

People are evolving.

Fans now have shorter attention spans and seek quick thrills.

They no longer have the patience and endurance to get into the nitty-gritty of test cricket.

They are now casual fans instead of true connoisseurs of the game.

this is a fallacy. falling attention spans make test cricket the logical choice. i can do at least a couple of other things while it's on in the background, catch up with a passage of play missed. it's T20 that requires you to drop everything for 3.5 hours. now that might make it easier to monetize with ad revenue....

Think it happens everywhere now. Even if we had test tours at time of ipl, all our main players would be playing ipl not test cricket. That's after being richest cricket board by some distance. Don't think SA's cricket board's financial problems are reason for this. Except Australia & maybe England every nation will prioritize t20 tournament now.

The Big 3 need to come together and save Tests at any cost, its proper cricket. Rather scrap ODIs. Absolute waste of a format. 

Prioritize Test cricket for bilaterals. Reserve T20s for franchise stuff and a WC every 4 years like Football

I would not be surprised if this  C team of South Africa did better than the A+++ team of India with Kohli/Bumrah/Shami 2019/20. A+++ team of India had first test 10 wicket defeat, second test 7 wicket defeat.

Watch.....

Edited by AKane