Most attractive and entertaining left-handed batsmen of all time?

I have a query. Please with it if any of you can. The query is about a test match between Alvin Kalicharan's West Indies against Gavaskar's India held at Eden Gardens, Calcutta from 29 December 1978 to January 3 1979. The match was a draw. On the last day, West Indies had lost their 9 wickets. The match had stopped due to poor visibility. Despite the bad light, the match had continued for a long time. I am told that Kalcharan defended the balls famously one after another in spite of the bad light. But the score board shows that he was out for 46.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/63228.html

is it true that Kalicharan heroically batted in the poor light for a long time to save his team? Any one is aware of it?

1 hour ago, sreejith@997 said:

I have a query. Please with it if any of you can. The query is about a test match between Alvin Kalicharan's West Indies against Gavaskar's India held at Eden Gardens, Calcutta from 29 December 1978 to January 3 1979. The match was a draw. On the last day, West Indies had lost their 9 wickets. The match had stopped due to poor visibility. Despite the bad light, the match had continued for a long time. I am told that Kalcharan defended the balls famously one after another in spite of the bad light. But the score board shows that he was out for 46.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/63228.html

is it true that Kalicharan heroically batted in the poor light for a long time to save his team? Any one is aware of it?

Interesting. Never read about it. Need to hear more on this.

Thanks for sharing.

On 8/28/2015 at 11:45 AM, adi B said:
Kambli was more elegant than Ganguly in terms of strokemaing...Ganguly was awkward when he played on the legside...infact had no legside game when he started and obviously no game against the short ball....He is handsdown Indias greatest left handed batsman but no wher enear even Fleming leave alone Lara. For me in terms of elegant strokemaking it was Lara,GIlchrist,Anwar,Yuvraj and Fleming in that order....even loved Jayasuriya who was elegant in his own unorthodox way Never felt Ganguly,,Chanderpaul,Langer,Hayden,Katich ,San***** even Raina were very elegant but I understand why they show up in these lists as probably their records are taken into context

What are you saying?? Ganguly's drives and cut shots were one of the most elegant in the history. Lara wasn't elegant,he was entertaining and gilchrist was no where near elegant. yuvi,anwar,ganguly,gower are few of the elegant stroke makers,Fleming i agreeplayed some gorgeous,effortless shots

Ganguly in offside was elegant, and Lara i used to like his pronounced back-lift. 

Gower- whatever clips i have seen of his he looked the most elegant batsman. Such a pleasing sight to watch

Gilly - the most brutual 

Anwar - hated him coz he use to beat the **** out us but now when i revisit his clips he another one who is very elegant

Now two of my fav

Yuvi- elegance mixed with brutal power and the timing that very few are blessed. At his peek he was the one of the best odi batsman i have seen . Sadly his peek didnt last long due to injuries and fitness and then the unfortunate cancer incidence. Still i get excited when i see those shades of old but in reality he is far far far away from what he was

Lara- overall the best. Had every thing added with a flair n and stamp of the king. The guy was a "sanki" when it came to batting for long. Not only cud he survive for long but he wud hurt u also for that long time. He was a genius for me. 

Ganguly deserves a special mention for his off side play and his long sixes to spinners. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

Attractive - Jayasuriya, Yuvraj, Trescothic. 

Brutal  - Hayden, Gillchrist. 

Effective - Chanderpaul, Andy flower

Special mention - Sunil Joshi :p: Andy Blignaut

PS. Just read the heading, tried reading further but I'll  need an aspirin first. 

Edited by OpeningBatsman

This thread is missing Michael Hussey and Graeme Smith. Very effective left handed bats with not too many glaring weaknesses. Andy Flower too. Reverse sweeping Murali and making it look easy is no joke. The most elegant left  hander has to be Saeed Anwar though. Could time the pants off the cricket ball.