R.Sridhar on why team likes Shastri over kumble

According to Sridhar, while both Kumble and Shastri had the same desire of “making India the best cricket-playing nation in the world” their approaches were different.

“In the Shastri era we worked on the same lines. Anil Kumble came, he had his own way of doing things. Shastri was somebody who was character-based. He wanted good characters in the team, so he worked on the kind of approach he wanted to take on the field, which carried into the Kumble era as well. Kumble was somebody who wanted to achieve excellence and had his own way,” he said. Sridhar also waxed philosophical when asked to compare the two styles and which suited the team’s approach better.

“Two different people cannot be the same. It’s like hand-writing. You and I can’t write the same. The final endeavour is to make sure that what we write is legible. Similarly, each guy wants to achieve the kind of excellence, where they want to take the team. The goal is the same, but it is different ways of achieving the goal,” he said. Sridhar revealed that he’d enjoyed long-standing rapports with both Shastri and Kumble even before he’d worked with them in the Indian camp. He’d worked under Shastri during the former captain’s reign as National Cricket Academy director while he’d played alongside Kumble since their under-17 days.

“It’s easier being an assistant or second-third coach in the team because we don’t have to take tough decisions. You can always bounce your ideas with the head coach. It’s the head coach who has to take the tough decisions. As far as I am concerned, both of them gave me extreme freedom to work with. They never once asked me what I was doing or want me to do something specific,” 

Full article - http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/fielding-coach-sridhar-on-role-of-coach-its-important-to-be-receptive-you-have-to-yield-to-the-demands-of-the-group-4725394/

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

According to Sridhar, while both Kumble and Shastri had the same desire of “making India the best cricket-playing nation in the world” their approaches were different.

“In the Shastri era we worked on the same lines. Anil Kumble came, he had his own way of doing things. Shastri was somebody who was character-based. He wanted good characters in the team, so he worked on the kind of approach he wanted to take on the field, which carried into the Kumble era as well. Kumble was somebody who wanted to achieve excellence and had his own way,” he said. Sridhar also waxed philosophical when asked to compare the two styles and which suited the team’s approach better.

“Two different people cannot be the same. It’s like hand-writing. You and I can’t write the same. The final endeavour is to make sure that what we write is legible. Similarly, each guy wants to achieve the kind of excellence, where they want to take the team. The goal is the same, but it is different ways of achieving the goal,” he said. Sridhar revealed that he’d enjoyed long-standing rapports with both Shastri and Kumble even before he’d worked with them in the Indian camp. He’d worked under Shastri during the former captain’s reign as National Cricket Academy director while he’d played alongside Kumble since their under-17 days.

“It’s easier being an assistant or second-third coach in the team because we don’t have to take tough decisions. You can always bounce your ideas with the head coach. It’s the head coach who has to take the tough decisions. As far as I am concerned, both of them gave me extreme freedom to work with. They never once asked me what I was doing or want me to do something specific,” 

Full article - http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/fielding-coach-sridhar-on-role-of-coach-its-important-to-be-receptive-you-have-to-yield-to-the-demands-of-the-group-4725394/

A roundabout way of saying that he had nothing concrete to say

Just now, Vijy said:

A roundabout way of saying that he had nothing concrete to say

Well Shastri does come across as a good man manager, he did that post 2007 Wc disastor n then also received good feedback from team. 

But this young team needs more then a good man-manager......

A man with a vision with such huge bunch of talent n yes needs to be good man-manager

Just now, kosingh said:

"Shastri was somebody who was character-based. He wanted good characters in the team, so he worked on the kind of approach he wanted to take on the field"

What exactly does that even mean?

Had it been Manju i wud have answered like he likes good boys like dravid, rahane , pujara (shant , shareef)

well what i make of it he means, who are expressive, who wants to do well, hungry for success , wanna contribute in every way and win games ............hona to yahi chahiye 

But acc to shastri may be party boys 

6 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Apparently, Shastri wanted people of "good" character, perhaps people who didn't smoke, drink, never swore, etc, etc.

I hope you are being sarcastic..

Shashtri smokes like chimney and swears like gutter, like mumbai style..

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Apparently, Shastri wanted people of "good" character, perhaps people who didn't smoke, drink, never swore, etc, etc.

Or "characters,"  as in players who express themselves in different ways.  For every "shista" Rahane, an uninhibited character like a Jadeja or Pandya or even a Kohli.  Within limits, this approach takes the stress off the players and they don't feel under the gun always.  Everyone is not expected to behave in the same way and function like robots.  

To address your points:  Smoking is typically a big no-no - it  clearly negatively impacts one's stamina and ability to perform as a top-level athlete.  Drinking within limits is not a problem.  

In the end, these guys are not here to be choirboys or padres-in-training.  They are high-level athletes who, if they can handle the distractions and still show up for practice, play hard and perform their roles well, should be given some freedoms to blow off steam.   

The big trick?  Balance and knowing what each guy's limits are; when is the partying is getting in the way of each guy's performance.  

These are important words from the interview --

" he also gave a little insight into what Virat Kohli & Co would require in a coach. “What’s important in today’s cricket as a leader is to follow the energies within the group. It’s important to be receptive. You have to yield to the demands of the group and you have to make sure that each guy is in the best possible space,” he said on Tuesday.

He also felt that with the kind of players in the present Indian team, the coach’s focus should be on letting their experience be taken on board while taking decisions. “The current Indian has some great experience. So we should allow that experience to take over and be inclusive and take the best possible decisions for the team. What is important to be a good leader is to be a good follower,” said Sridhar. "

If Sridhar's words are true then Kumble did not take the opinions of others while taking decisions and had an autocratic way of functioning.

56 minutes ago, express bowling said:

These are important words from the interview --

" he also gave a little insight into what Virat Kohli & Co would require in a coach. “What’s important in today’s cricket as a leader is to follow the energies within the group. It’s important to be receptive. You have to yield to the demands of the group and you have to make sure that each guy is in the best possible space,” he said on Tuesday.

He also felt that with the kind of players in the present Indian team, the coach’s focus should be on letting their experience be taken on board while taking decisions. “The current Indian has some great experience. So we should allow that experience to take over and be inclusive and take the best possible decisions for the team. What is important to be a good leader is to be a good follower,” said Sridhar. "

If Sridhar's words are true then Kumble did not take the opinions of others while taking decisions and had an autocratic way of functioning.

I could envision someone as intense/driven as Kumble not taking others viewpoints into consideration.

Except for football managers no sport tends to take coaches so seriously. Unless the team is really young and they need a good mentor. Pak did need someone like Arthur as they are never cohesive and behave like a team of girls gossiping about each other. Ours is somewhat a professional unit so authoritative one doesn't work in reality.

10 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

They never once asked me what I was doing or want me to do something specific.

Which world are these guys living. What is the head coach doing if he does not give instructions or delegate work to sub coaches.

45 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Whatever maybe the case, the handling of Kumble has left a bad taste and its highly unprofessional. BCCI should've stepped in and clear the air between them, or appoint the next coach in a professional manner. They are making it tough for us fans to support these guys or Indian cricket for that matter. 

how it was unprofessional? Kumble's tenure was over after CT and BCCI invited application for new coach. It was CAC who asked to kumble to stay till WI tour. There was nothing unprofessional about.