Republic TV - How do you guys see it?

Austin 3:!6

Must admit....this has to be worst media channel globally. In-fact, I would call their reporters are goons.

Look I myself is a BJP/Modi supporter, infact a Bhakt...but the journalism that these guys are doing is below the belt and bringing more bad names to Modi led govt.

Yesterday Shahsi Tharoor was doing a press conference in Delhi. And the behaviour of Republic reporters are appalling. A video clip of Republic TV’s team of reporters and camera persons following Congress leader Shashi Tharoor on Thursday has outraged many on social media. The video being shared widely on social media platforms shows Tharoor walking to his car after a press conference, followed by a swarm of Republic journalists.

“Why are you running, Mr Tharoor?” quizzes one reporter, while another shouts, “We will keep asking our questions. Why aren’t you answering our questions? Why are you trying to run away?” A third voice calls the former Union Minister a “coward” and "killer" for dodging questions on the death of his wife Sunanda Pushkar. :facepalm:

The Congress MP from Thiruvananthapuram had earlier refused to answer Republic TV’s questions at a press conference in New Delhi. Refusing to take the channel’s questions, Tharoor remarked, “There is a particular channel in this country, the digital equivalent of a toilet roll, which I have sued for criminal and civil defamation. This is why they are harassing us here. The court case will settle what we think of this people.”

Following the incident, Tharoor took to social media to hit out at Republic TV, calling the harassment “puerile”.

Their harassment was puerile. One so-called journalist even asked "why do you have an evil laugh?" Another called me a murderer&added "sir"! https://t.co/QVmTVm5BaM

— Shashi Tharoor (@ShashiTharoor) August 3, 2017

When asked about the video, a journalist at Republic TV said that there were camera persons from other channels and they in turn had pushed Republic TV journalists.

Tharoor, however, found support from fellow Congress leader and MP Divya Spandana, who shared the video and called Republic TV’s journalists “goons”.

Republic goons attack @ShashiTharoor pic.twitter.com/6NLc1z5IAi

— Divya Spandana/Ramya (@divyaspandana) August 4, 2017

Many others also condemned the harassment Tharoor was put through.

At 0:03 you can hear the Republic TV goons telling @ShashiTharoor "you are a coward, a killer". These are not journalists, just hired thugs. https://t.co/7AytGJfF4T

— The Last Caveman (@CarDroidusMax) August 3, 2017

How is this journalism?! This is harassment, plain and simple. https://t.co/OdCvoqD0y3

— Arun Chembilath (@ichembilath) August 3, 2017
When @republic tv reporters met @ShashiTharoor !

Via - @israr2020 pic.twitter.com/8vLXg4dBlw

— Keerthi(@realkeerthi) August 4, 2017

The video surfaced even as the Delhi High Court is hearing a petition filed by Shashi Tharoor against Republic TV and its founder-editor Arnab Goswami on the channel’s alleged misreporting on the death of his wife. On Friday, the High Court observed, “Arnab Goswami and the channel have to respect Tharoor’s right to silence on the issue.” The court also sought the channel and Arnab’s reply to the Congress leader’s plea.   

Following the court’s observations on Friday, Tharoor took to Twitter to state that his duty was to cooperate with the police and other authorities and not with a “banana republic” channel.

My duty is to co-operate with the police, courts, legally-constituted authorities. Not w/ a witch-hunt by a "banana republic" channel. https://t.co/nScgkNaBzl

— Shashi Tharoor (@ShashiTharoor) August 4, 2017

Meanwhile, journalists from Republic TV also took to Twitter to say that they will not be intimidated.

#Republic continues to bravely report on #SunandaMurderInvestigation amidst harassment & abuses by Shashi Tharoor. We won't be intimidated. pic.twitter.com/xnTnJlacM8

— Aditya Raj Kaul (@AdityaRajKaul) August 4, 2017

While Tharoor had filed an application before the Delhi HC on Thursday seeking to restrain Republic TV from making defamatory publications against him, he has also filed a defamation suit against Arnab Goswami and Republic TV in May following the channel’s “expose” on Sunanda Pushkar’s death.

The Delhi High Court had on May 29 observed that the TV news channel can air stories by stating the facts related to the investigation into the death of Pushkar, but cannot call the MP a "criminal".

The court also stated that they (Arnab and Republic TV) cannot use such language and had sought response from the journalist and channel on the defamation suit by August 16.

Edited by Austin 3:!6

Republic and Times Now are a blot on journalism and humanity. They only spread hatred and sinister shakha designs, 90% of their reports are blatant lies. They are here to do BJP's bidding but lack the grace and subtlety of NDTV when it supports Congress/CPM. I have stopped watching these clowns for over a month now,even more than Arnab,  Navika Kumar and Rahul Shivshankar are pathetic in every sense of the word. And like OP I prefer BJP to others, in fact I have never voted for any party other than BJP in my life.

Ind is heavily influenced by VVIPism, Laal Batti culture, British hangover, etc. As long as the politicians continue to treat general citizens as secondary subjects, we will see such extreme reactions against politicians 

17 minutes ago, zen said:

Ind is heavily influenced by VVIPism, Laal Batti culture, British hangover, etc. As long as the politicians continue to treat general citizens as secondary subjects, we will see such extreme reactions against politicians 

Wow.  Just wow.  Way to justify goon behavior masquerading as Journalism.

Times Now and Republic are yet to attack the ruling govt in a long long time. They are there to do BJP's bidding...plain and simple. Every day they pick a BJP opponent or even BJP ally( SS/TDP/Akali aren't spared, probably to keep them in check) and run some fake stories and exaggerations smearing their reputation and integrity. I am all for media keeping politicians in check but these 2 comedy channels have taken it to another level. My worry is that in case of big corruption scams in the future by BJP, will any of these chamcha channels hold the govt to account? Vyapam scam death toll has gone to over 80 now and yet to hear a whisper about it by Arnab and his ilk. Contrast this to how NDTV went after Congress during 2G/CoalGate/CWG mega scams.

And another tactic used by these clowns is hiding behind army and fake nationalism to slay all liberals/NGOs/intellectuals etc. I hate to see them politicizing the Army. Please tell me GD Bakshi, Gaurav Arya and RSN Singh don't speak for all armymen. These guys are subservient to BJP and act like Modi's lapdogs. The more these guys use army stick to beat opposition parties, more people will lose respect for the men in uniform. We are a civilian democracy, not a military junta, someone tell these channels that first. I don't want India to become a Pakistan or Myanmar, civil society must be empowered and allowed to speak up. I dislike NDTV but these North Korea type news channels are even worse. 

Republic is just a natural outgrowth of the behavior of Indian English-language journalism. There was INC funded propaganda continuously for 70 years, with no need for neutrality. Journalists like Chitra Subramaniam or Shalini Singh get death threats just for mentioning the corruption of the INC, and none of the goons in journalism would've shed a tear if either was indeed killed.  Activism masquerading as journalism was okay for 70 years... 

Now Arnab saw a market inefficiency, an unoccupied niche, and took advantage of it. That niche turned out to be the majority of the audience, and Times Now decided to compete for a slice of the pie. Now that 1-way propaganda  isn't passed off as "neutral journalism", the vested interests who liked the status quo are soiling themselves. 

Until and unless people support strong libel laws in India, where if any journalist lies or spreads misinformation, even unintentionally, they/their media house can be heavily fined or even jailed in extreme cases, then there is no point in whining about Republic's behavior. If Arnab wants to be an activist playing the role of a journalist, then he gets to as well.        

Edited by Tibarn

People have to remember that media outlets like Times Now or Republic are not really doing any journalism. They are tabloids that thrive on sensationalism. Arnab found out that there is a huge market in India frustrated with the left liberalist and pseudo secular English media that feigns to be neutral. He took advantage of this by transforming his reporting into sensationalising every story beyond limit and found a very receptive market for himself. So I am not surprised that his so called journalists follow the same template. They have taken things a step too far now. There is a fine line between tabloid "journalism" and invading someone's privacy and these tabloid reporters have exceeded that. 

journalism died a long time ago. to expect republic or any other news channel to not show any bias is quite comical. yes they are brazen but to counter the predominantly left-wing narrative that plays out in the english TV news circuit, they are much required. 

On 8/4/2017 at 5:47 PM, Gollum said:

Republic and Times Now are a blot on journalism and humanity. They only spread hatred and sinister shakha designs, 90% of their reports are blatant lies. They are here to do BJP's bidding but lack the grace and subtlety of NDTV when it supports Congress/CPM. I have stopped watching these clowns for over a month now,even more than Arnab,  Navika Kumar and Rahul Shivshankar are pathetic in every sense of the word. And like OP I prefer BJP to others, in fact I have never voted for any party other than BJP in my life.

Goswami and Times now were anti-Modi and BJP a while back. How suddenly, they have become Modi bidder? They are just a rolling tones. Support whoever in the  govt.

Ye sab English ka nateeja hai... Something happens to us indians when we speak English. We start sounding are biggest morons of the world and the lamest people ever people....So people, only speak  English when necessary and never show any emotion(excitement, anger, sarcasm etc.) When speaking english.

On 8/5/2017 at 1:33 PM, rkt.india said:

Goswami and Times now were anti-Modi and BJP a while back. How suddenly, they have become Modi bidder? They are just a rolling tones. Support whoever in the  govt.

they realized the majority of the middle classes support the BJP. Especially those to watch the English news.

All arnab is doing is playing upto his audience.