Doesn't Vijay deserve one final chance in his most suitable nation?

rtmohanlal

His record in AUS is absolutely stunning , especially for an opener. 482 runs in 8 inns @ 60.25  with  1 100 & 4 50s is a towering performance in every sense.It's just that he is 34+ years old.But has adequate experience to make up for it. When  thinking about it, Sehwag  comes into  play. He was below par in all except AUS ,but in AUS his batting style suited perfectly.Can't it be the case with  Vijay too???.

What is this obsession with 4-5 years old records? Recent form should hold the key. In the last two years, Vijay is avg less than 40 iirc  .... On current form i.e. performance in county, he can be considered in place of KL who is struggling .... However, the team management appears to be looking ahead so could prefer Agarwal, which is not a bad option either as talented youngsters have done well for Ind recently .... Instead of looking back, looking forward could be the better option, i.e. Shaw-Agarwal  :dontknow:

Edited by zen
26 minutes ago, UnknownGenius said:

Of course he does. He was discarded very unfairly. He had two bad performances in England in the toughest batting conditions and got out to peaches that any batsman would have. Meanwhile Dhawan and KL got chance after chance because they are buddies with Kohli 

VJ buckled up and went on to score buckets of runs for Essex

He has been India's best opener ever since Viru retired and should still be a top two choice for opener. He definitely deserves one more full series

to add to that he is not yet 35. That is still ' far from being over age'. 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/237095.html?class=1;home_or_away=2;opposition=2;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

this by any stretch is  brilliant consistant performance.Hope the team management take note of this.His vast experience of playing in SENA too can come handy. I think he is very vital to India's chances in AUS. His experience &  fearless  approach of young Shaw can be very handy for India  , it seems. Facing  the deadly duo of Broad-Anderson  in one of his moderate zones(ENG) in a very bowler friendly series  is entirely different from being in his comfort zone , i feel. He deserves at the least 1st test.  

47 minutes ago, Number said:

His 144 at Brisbane against Starc, Hazlewood and Johnson is one of the best innings by an Indian batsman in recent times.

I am also against the idea of having 2 rookie openers for Australia tour.

Vijay should open at Adelaide. Thereafter we can see if he still has it. 

Rahul isnt a rookie.  He also has a 100 in Aus.

We have to play to win in Australia this time.  Best chance ever with their weakened side.

Shaw is a certainty as one of the openers, given his current form.

Choose the other opener who has the best chance of succeeding in Australia.

Forget favourities, regionalism, past records, farewells and whether a player got what he deserves in the past.

Just choose those players who seem like they can actually win it for Team India.

The captain and coaches do get a good idea observing how players look in the nets and how their mindset seem like.

If that other opener is Rahul, so be it.

If that other opener is Vijay, so be it.

If that other opener is Mayank, so be it.

The A-team tour to NZ may give us some idea about current ability, form and mindset too.

i don't think 2 rookies would help in a country like AUS where the mental aspect comes into play more than any where else.

So to partner Shaw, Mayank is not adequate.

Also don't think Rahul is the option. From what have been till now, he performs once in a blue moon whether it be in Asia or non Asia.

That being the case a proven customer  like Vijay having both experience of every kind  in SENA & wonderful track record would have to be the most fit  candidate.Agreed that he was completely offf in ENG in the 4 inns he played in. But he has been performing very poorly in ENG  till that point. But in AUS it has not been the case.  6 inns of 25+ out of 8 inns  at  60+ avg: with 0 not outs shows  there is more chance of Vijay succeeding than failing in the coming series too.

1 hour ago, wanted_desi said:

He doesn't. He was looking lost in South Africa and England. It didn't seem like he had any confidence left in him.

Whatever people say, I never had anyconfidence in him. If anyone watches his performances, He will see that in 2011, He wasnt better than Mukund and All his innings in England were  Pakistanesque fluke.

45 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

what ever it be , i would prefer Vijay over Rahul  any time. Any way, even if Rahul succeeds a bit, it would be in  3 out of 8 inns at max, and in the process would avg: 40 at max: . That, Murali Vijay can easily provide. 

So why not let Rahul play who is younger and will learn instead of Vijay who is on his last legs in international career.

4 hours ago, rkt.india said:

So why not let Rahul play who is younger and will learn instead of Vijay who is on his last legs in international career.

strongly feel Vijay can perform 'a bit more at the least' than Rahul . Scoring 482 runs in 8 inns @  Avg: of 60+ ,that too opening the inns with 5 50+ scores is  a   towering performance by any yardstick.Even if he  performs at 75% efficiency, he can still avg: 45 which would be so advantageous for the team.