Subramaniam Badrinath raises questions over Mayank Agarwal’s omission from Australia tour

https://www.crictracker.com/former-cricketers-raise-questions-over-mayank-agarwals-omission-from-australia-tour/

The former Indian cricketer Subramaniam Badrinath is not at all pleased with the move from the selectors. He related his case with Mayank’s while raising some serious questions over the selection committee and sympathised for the Karnataka batsman. In 2008, Virat Kohliwas preferred over Badrinath despite consistent performances by the latter and the same has happened with Mayank now.

“I can actually relate to him. He is not at fault. He has been performing and getting runs. He earned his place, did not play a game and now, he is out of the team. I would like to ask the selectors what exactly is the process? Is it just to keep him satisfied that they got him into the side? What are they trying to do here?” Badrinath said while speaking to Sportstar on Saturday.

He also questioned Rohit Sharma‘s selection in the Test squad despite not playing much in the longest format much in the recent times. “We all know that he has not done well in red-ball cricket. Why is he there? He is a different player when it comes to the white ball, you can call him the best opener. In red-ball, he has just not been able to deliver,” the former Tamil Nadu player added.

Mayank should talk to the selectors

Another former Indian cricketer Anshuman Gaekwad felt that Mayank Agarwal has all the right to ask the selectors about his omission and sort the issue as soon as possible. He also added that Mayank should continue playing well and don’t feel rejected after not being picked for the Australia tour.

“Only 15 or 16 players can get selected. It depends what scheme of things the selectors have in mind. It happened with me in 1981 where I missed the Australia tour. I had scored 1,300 runs in Ranji and Duleep. At that juncture, you feel offended or neglected but you have to look up. Maybe this is not enough and you got to get better. You have to compel the selector to select you. If you sulk, the game is over for you,” he said.

View overall figures [change view]
Primary team India remove India from query
Start of match date between 27 Oct 2016 and 27 Oct 2018 remove between 27 Oct 2016 and 27 Oct 2018 from query
Qualifications matches played greater than or equal to 20 remove matches played greater than or equal to 20 from query
Ordered by batting average (descending)
Page 1 of 1 Showing 1 - 5 of 5   First pageFirst Previous pagePrevious Next Next page Last Last page dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
dblBakArwW.gifCleared query menu
Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS AveDescending BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
V Kohli 2016-2018 25 42 4 2777 243 73.07 4273 64.98 11 7 3 286 8 investigate this query
CA Pujara 2016-2018 26 43 2 2050 202 50.00 4532 45.23 7 9 3 237 4 investigate this query
KL Rahul 2016-2018 22 36 2 1286 199 37.82 2160 59.53 2 10 5 155 7 investigate this query
AM Rahane 2016-2018 23 38 2 1062 132 29.50 2305 46.07 1 6 3 112 4 investigate this query
R Ashwin 2016-2018 25 36 2 821 72 24.14 1481 55.43 0 5 1 102 3 investigate this query
Page 1 of 1 Showing 1 - 5 of 5   First pageFirst Previous pagePrevious Next Next page Last Last page
Go to page

Agarwal should have been there 

earlier Karun Nair  , then Hanuma Vihari , now Mayank  .... what are these hypocrite moron senseless frauds doing???? just can't understand...  on one side proven failures like Umesh & Bhuvi  in one dayers , hacks like Pujara (mediocre record in all of SENA + WI despite  8 tours to these countries), Rohit,Dhawan & Ishant   in tests are getting games after games which results in team causes affecting badly. Are these frauds not accountable to any body?? It is good that Badrinath, Gaekwad and several  ex players come up and severely criticize these incompetent  morons

There is room for 3 openers, if it is a choice between Vijay and Mayank- I would agree with Vijay being picked given his experience in Oz and hopefully he is back in form on the back of his county stint. He should find the pace and bounce there less challenging the movement in England. Harsh on Mayank but hard to disagree

Zaheer Khan sympathized with the 27-year old, saying, “It’s not really fair for someone like Mayank Agarwal who’s been part of the team. As a player if you’re part of the team, you get picked in the playing XI, you have a bad day, it doesn’t matter.

“That’s something as a player you can live with. But if you’ve been part of the squad and not really got an opportunity to play or showcase your talent, that’s something which is really hard to deal with. Like today, Mayank Agarwal was sitting there and thinking that ‘What did I do wrong? Did I not serve the drinks properly?’ He must have done everything possible.”

However, he also backed the selectors for bringing Vijay back into the side. “The fact that he’s (Mayank) not there right now will be hurting him, but nonetheless I think Vijay is a very correct kind of opening which is a rarity – he’s like one of those classic openers which will be useful in Australia because you need to anchor one side as well,” he concluded. India take on Australia in the first of four Tests on December 6 at the Adelaide Oval.

https://www.crictracker.com/not-fair-on-mayank-agarwal-to-be-dropped-from-test-side-says-zaheer-khan/

Both Siraj and Mayank Agarwal was robbed of a test place to proven failures like Rohit Sharma and Shardul Thakur.Siraj should have debuted ahead of Shardul in 2nd test..How on earth Rohit can make comeback to whites? The guy himself doesn't care about test format and his test records.

Don't know when are we playing tests after Australia series and this was their time to get a debut specially after what happened in England..Post Australia series,All the eyes will be on that useless wc team and domestic performers like those two will be forgotten.

Edited by Bigg Brother
20 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

This is an insult to the domestic system as well. Heat has to be on guys like Rahane/Rahul as well

At the same time by giving chance to Kohli, we have got a world beater now. 

When that selection was made the choice was  between a talented teenager  with vast scope for improvement vs well established player at almost peak with not much  further room for improvement.  

Thats why  a good selection is one where you punt on a player with high scope for improvement over someone who has very limited space for further improvement. 

Your punt may not come good sometimes but thats the way to go