Parthiv Patel in third test?

kosingh

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

I would have wanted to see Karthik instead of this guy if Ojha is injured.  BUT

1. the guy is only 31, its not as if he's ancient.  Just because he's been around since he was 17 doesn't mean he's past his sell-by date.
  2. the guy is an immediate upgrade on the batting front as compared to Saha - something a lot of folks here were clamoring for.  
  3. by all accounts, his keeping has improved since his early yips.  Like someone mentioned - hard to forgive him for his lapses - he was plain horrible at times and cost us a series win in Australia!!!  
  4. Is it his fault that Sanju Samson isn't considered ready with the gloves?  
  5. Punting on Rishabh at such an early stage risks making a Duckett out of him, people forget that selectors ought to put players in best positions to succeed - its not just about picking names. 

Yeah, its not an exciting selection, its a stop-gap - but that's not the worst thing in the world.  This sends a good message to the Dinesh Karthiks, Pankaj Singhs of the world - just because you got one opportunity and couldn't make it count, doesn't mean you are doomed to FC cricket forever - that's a good thing - it will keep the quality of domestic competition high.  New naveli nineteen year olds will get their chance eventually, if they are good enough, in spite of fans' impatience. 

That's a pretty good post tbh. 

I've got an irrational dislike of him ever since he costed us a series win in Australia. I mean, we Indians are long suffering fans whenever our team goes abroad and to see an opportunity like that go to waste still hurts. Who all remember waking up at 4 am to see us getting destroyed by Simon *ing Doull?

I would have taken punt on Rishabh , I don't think you become better player playing in Ranji's more than he has already done.You become stale after one season , there is nothing to improve  unless they do not think he will make it as wicket keeper this is very cowardly move.

Ducket in million years would not have faced these conditions or Ashwin if he were just playing in England. He has fallen like many young players and he should  take this experience to become stronger and a better player. 

Sachin got thrust into limelight when he was sixteen, it is not always about wins and losses, They should have played an extra batsman and given Rishabh his debut to take pressure off his bat.As long as his keeping skills are adequate what is the point in denying him the chance.

Edited by putrevus
Just now, putrevus said:

I would have taken punt on Rishabh , I don't think you become better player playing in Ranji's more than he has already done.You become stale after one season , there is nothing to improve  unless they do not think he will make it as wicket keeper this is very cowardly move.

Ducket in million years would not have faced these conditions or Ashwin if he were just playing in England. He has fallen like many young players and he should  take this experience to become stronger and a better player. 

Sachin got thrust into limelight when he was sixteen, it is not always about wins and losses, They should have played an extra batsman and given Rishabh his debut to take pressure off his bat.As long as his keeping skills are adequate what is the point in denying him the chance.

Easier to take punt on a batsman than a wicket-keeper - that's the difference.  If a punt fails on a batsman, rest of the team can make up.  If a keeper drops a few chances that can turn a win into a draw, or a draw into a loss.  

And its not like we are playing Zimbabwe.  England are a competitive team, and able to maximize opportunities, as they proved in Rajkot.

17 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Easier to take punt on a batsman than a wicket-keeper - that's the difference.  If a punt fails on a batsman, rest of the team can make up.  If a keeper drops a few chances that can turn a win into a draw, or a draw into a loss.  

And its not like we are playing Zimbabwe.  England are a competitive team, and able to maximize opportunities, as they proved in Rajkot.

Can you or the selectors know in two or three years this guy will not drop catches , now PP has been brought in can anyone say he will not drop catches or miss stumpings. I am not so sure PP has become a better keeper all of sudden if he was he would have been selected ahead of Saha as he is better batsman than Saha.

As I said earlier unless they do not think he is good as wicket keeper there is no point in keeping him out.As keeper he will some drop catches, if skill level is okay he should be in the team.

23 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Can you or the selectors know in two or three years this guy will not drop catches , now PP has been brought in can anyone say he will not drop catches or miss stumpings. I am not so sure PP has become a better keeper all of sudden if he was he would have been selected ahead of Saha as he is better batsman than Saha.

As I said earlier unless they do not think he is good as wicket keeper there is no point in keeping him out.As keeper he will some drop catches, if skill level is okay he should be in the team.

The kid just started playing 4 day games for the first time in his life!  He said so in an interview after that 300 - am learning how to manage the workload of keeping all day etc.  Fan impatience notwithstanding, we are talking test cricket not T20.  I would be all for him debuting in T20, and I suspect, so would the selectors.  

Just now, sandeep said:

The kid just started playing 4 day games for the first time in his life!  He said so in an interview after that 300 - am learning how to manage the workload of keeping all day etc.  Fan impatience notwithstanding, we are talking test cricket not T20.  I would be all for him debuting in T20, and I suspect, so would the selectors.  

You expect him to say...it was a piece of cake and he has been keeping since he was born? He was just being modest.

He has been showing in every challenge thrown at him that he belongs...one hand you want Pandya who is neither a bowler or batsman to get a test cap and on the other hand you have a mercurial generational talent on the form of his life and still knows no fear and a hunger to make it big and you want him to keep playing domestics till he becomes beat-up?

Pappu is a step backwards...it is like replacing an injured Shami or Umesh with Vinay Kumar or Unadkut.

Ojha I always thought was the natural backup and he has shown that he is pretty solid with the gloves.

Now someone says he is injured ok...then are are only options to go entirely left field and get the so called rookies Pant,Samson,Kishan in or go the entire opposite way and look for Pappu and Karthik....Is there no middle ground?

8 hours ago, renjith said:

Ishan and Pant obviously are not ready for keeping in test matches. Recent scores of few candidates.

Dinesh Karthik

54    v Punjab
80    v Bengal
65    v Baroda
95    v M. Pradesh
73    v U. Pradesh
18, 163    v Railways
15, 11    v Mumbai

Parthiv Patel
12        v Mumbai
49, 139*    v M. Pradesh
60, 21        v U. Pradesh
61, 53        v Railways
20        v Baroda

Naman Ojha
50        v Railways
28, 52        v Gujarat
19, 0        v Australia A
2, 0        v Australia A

Samson
0        v Andhra
35, 0        v Goa
7        v Haryana
41, 27        v Chhattisgarh
15        v Hyderabad
47, 1        v H. Pradesh
154        v J + K    Kalyani

In above list - KKD seems to be in better or equal form against similar opposition teams as PP.
So - decision is based on who is better keeper and who is left or right handed, is it?

Between KKD and Pappu - isn't KKD better as a keeper (purely as a keeper, lesser chance of dropping catches/stumpings )?

Edited by fineleg
7 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Yes, we must be careful not to make a Duck-ette out of him,

Delhi 2nd innings (target: 153 runs) R M B 4s 6s SR
  S Dhawan not out 35   45 6 0 77.77
  G Gambhir* c Gautam b Pankaj Singh 2 19 7 0 0 28.57
  UBT Chand lbw b Choudhary 5 19 12 1 0 41.66
  RR Pant run out (Ul-Haq) 0 4 0 0 0 -
  V Tokas not out 5   21 1 0 23.80

Based on what RKT said ..I am assuming it is one of those non-striker backing up and the drive from the batsman hitting the bowler's fingers kind of a scenario.

Great law of averages have worked out in the best way possible.

10 minutes ago, sandeep said:

What are you talking about? These guys play days game from age group, 3-day games in Cooch Behar trophy. 

mercurial, generational, knows no fear, hunger, modest.  Glad you know what's inside his head after watching him hit a few balls in IPL on TV and reading a few Ranji scorecards.  All fluff and subjective.  

If he was a batsman, and we had a vacancy, the argument would hold some water.  Even with Pandya, the downside risk is lower than a 'keeper debut. And I only backed Pandya's selection as a way to get in the 3rd spinner, and if the 3rd spinner flashed match-winning potential on his own.  

If this was a dead rubber test, then I could see it.  In a competitive live test series, such a risk on a critical position player behind the stumps, is hard to justify.  

Just now, sandeep said:

mercurial, generational, knows no fear, hunger, modest.  Glad you know what's inside his head after watching him hit a few balls in IPL on TV and reading a few Ranji scorecards.  All fluff and subjective.  

If he was a batsman, and we had a vacancy, the argument would hold some water.  Even with Pandya, the downside risk is lower than a 'keeper debut. And I only backed Pandya's selection as a way to get in the 3rd spinner, and if the 3rd spinner flashed match-winning potential on his own.  

If this was a dead rubber test, then I could see it.  In a competitive live test series, such a risk on a critical position player behind the stumps, is hard to justify.  

And Pappu is that "safe" option?

You pick a player on form and there is someone who hit a purple patch...simple equation

Pappu is one of the worst keepers to play for India(not his batting but his keeping skills) so how is he better than Pant here?

1 minute ago, maniac said:

And Pappu is that "safe" option?

You pick a player on form and there is someone who hit a purple patch...simple equation

Pappu is one of the worst keepers to play for India(not his batting but his keeping skills) so how is he better than Pant here?

There are no safe keepers that I know of in India who avg 40+ (someone like Foakes).

Edited by Vijy
Just now, Vijy said:

There are no safe keepers that I know of in India (someone like Foakes).

Ok then isn't it obvious you go for a guy who is on a roll?

Obviously the only names being thrown around are Pappu,Karthik,Ojha,Pant,Samson,Kishan

Ojha would have been the obvious choice but looks like he is injured.

So you rank the other options