Why India is not in World XI?

CoverDrive

I read this article by Ugra and was bewildered - http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20668282/sharda-ugra-why-there-indians-world-xi?

Is it really such a difficult thing to answer? Let me a total randum dude and not an expert try to answer 

1. Security concerns - Indians are definitely likely to be a much bigger targets for terrorists. The SL attack was also initial planned for the Indian team. When Indian tour was cancelled they decided to continue with the conspiracy and target SL team instead. 

2. Diplomatic reasons - India and Pakistan are engaged in low intensity warfare for months now. Govt. is not really keen to carry on any relations with a state we are not in very friendly terms with

3. Things have not really improved - There are no indication that from the last time govt' decided to not tour / play with pakistan things have really improved. State sponsored terrorism continues at the same levels.  Ugra mentions PM's 2015 Lahore visit but ignores that right after that India suffered terrorist attacks that has made things worse than ever. 

Talking about our place in world cricket etc.without considering above factors is a very ignorant position to take. Our situation is not all the same as the other countries part of World XI. Their concern is only security related and that also is a much bigger issue for us. 

7 minutes ago, goose said:

i can personally make a robust case but curious how you would answer? 

Its simple.  Refusing a bilateral tour is something well within the Government's rights, and does not hurt the Indian team or BCCI, given the current rules regime of the ICC.  Refusing to play in ICC events would have a cost associated with it.   

Refusing a bilateral tour imposes a meaningful economic cost to Pakistan - cricket is its flagship sport and denying them the financial benefits of an Indian tour hurts.  That creates leverage.  The idea is to create a stick out of this carrot.  Incentivize the Pak Establishment to change its behavior and act against the terrorist criminals that are damaging India.  

Years of Indian complaints at the official level, directly, or at the UN have not gotten the Pak Establishment to stop playing the jihadi game.   But when PCB loses hundreds of millions of dollars, maybe they will go to their own government and tell them to do something so that the situation can change.  Pakistan cricketers have lost out of millions of dollars of earnings due to missing out on the IPL.  Do you think some of them will talk to their politicians and ask them to do something about it?  

What other means does the Indian government have, short of war, to get the PakMil to stop playing with the likes of LeT, JeM, ASWJ etc?   Sure as a cricket fan, I would love to see regular India-Pakistan contests - they are a lot of fun.  But I fully support the current policy of not giving them a bilateral tour.  And I don't care about any seeming hypocrisy or inconsistency in playing them in ICC tournaments.   Indian govt and BCCI should act primarily in India's interest, accusations or appearances of hypocrisy are irrelevant.  

5 hours ago, goose said:

Playing devil's advocate, why do they continue to meet in ICC events? Why do they meet in other sports?

Cuz not meeting them does more harm than good.. we would lose 2 points in those tournaments which could eliminate us from the qualifying rounds..

We gotta be rational about this and not stupid...

Edited by veer

^thanks sandeep very well articulated. i would just question whether the BCCI is acting in India's interest, cricketing wise i mean. It reminds me a bit of the financial crisis of 2008 where individual traders acting in self interest brought the house down. everyone was making money hand over fist and nobody could or would see the impending crisis. that crisis is the implosion of test cricket.

29 minutes ago, goose said:

^thanks sandeep very well articulated. i would just question whether the BCCI is acting in India's interest, cricketing wise i mean. It reminds me a bit of the financial crisis of 2008 where individual traders acting in self interest brought the house down. everyone was making money hand over fist and nobody could or would see the impending crisis. that crisis is the implosion of test cricket.

Well,  India-Pakistan cricket ties and test cricket are 2 separate issues.

Long-term, its in India's interest to get the PCB on its side in terms of the ICC power equation - that's true equilibrium anyway.  The moment that India-Pakistan cricket ties resume, the respective green and blue babus will mend fences due to their overwhelming mutual interest.  

Its not just India's job to protect test cricket.  We share a concern for the future of test cricket.  And I place the blame squarely on the ICC.  Since Dalmiya pioneered the funding strategies for the ICC in the late 90s, the ICC has been in healthy financial straits.  And they have done phu.ck-all to really help the sport of cricket.  You expand or you die.  The 2nd tier countries will always have cyclical performances and teeter on the edge of profitability.   You will always have the likes of Zimbabwe, SL, WI threatening to go the Kenya route.  The ICC should have been investing in expanding the associate team pool, and creating a platform for the Scotlands, Nepals, Namibias of the world to play proper structured seasons of competitive cricket.  They have not done so.  Individually, some of these countries cannot be expected to create domestic first class tournaments and structures on their own - they don't have the player pool, resources or the fan base to do so.  The ICC should have helped them fill their calendar.   And its not a resource issue.   

At the test member level, the ICC now faces its greatest threat to  test cricket, in terms of the blocking off of the calendar by the T20 leagues.   It is already late in the game.  They need to institutionalize and protect the primacy of test cricket and most importantly its calendar.   And I know you are a big believer in relegation, I'm not.