Who is a better cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar or M.S. Dhoni?

Bhavneet

14 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Newbies does not mean weaker squads. that 2007 squad is still overall the strongest Indian t20 squad.

You are talking about just two what about all the losing he had with stronger squads.He was the reason for India not winning another T20 title.

Looking good on paper ?I thought 2007 WC squad was the best till date on paper ? What happened to that. First round exit with mighty sachin innings 7(26) against BD. INDIA did well under Dhoni in 2014 and 2016 T20WC. Just sad we had to face bunch of hacks on patta like wankade with due and we all know about Yuvi innings in 2014. Atleast he won all ICC trophies unlike the captaislns before him. We even saw sachin as a captain. It was that bad back in those days. He is big upgrade.

51 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

Looking good on paper ?I thought 2007 WC squad was the best till date on paper ? What happened to that. First round exit with mighty sachin innings 7(26) against BD. INDIA did well under Dhoni in 2014 and 2016 T20WC. Just sad we had to face bunch of hacks on patta like wankade with due and we all know about Yuvi innings in 2014. Atleast he won all ICC trophies unlike the captaislns before him. We even saw sachin as a captain. It was that bad back in those days. He is big upgrade.

2007 WC

MS Dhoni vs Bangladesh 0(5)

MS Dhoni vs Srilanka 0(1)

:cantstop:

Edited by maniac
26 minutes ago, maniac said:

^ Also against Mighty Bermuda 29(25) :giggle:

looks like the retarded beta system testing bot is searching through cricinfo stats again. hope he comes back with a spell check and auto correct on this time and keep our brain cells intact :pray: 

Edited by Laaloo

Let's see:

Batting-

Tests: Sachin

ODIs: Tie. They've both excelled in the format playing different roles. 

T20Is: N/A. Sachin played only one intl. game. Tamasha league is not a criterion for me.

Misc-

Fielding: N/A. Sachin was an outfielder while Dhoni kept wickets. Can't compare but both were reliable in the field.

Bowling: N/A since Dhoni has bowled very little in intl. games (22 overs) and is primarily a keeper. Not fair to compare. Sachin has won us games with the ball though.

Captaincy: Dhoni.

3 minutes ago, jalebi_bhai said:

Let's see:

Batting-

Tests: Sachin

ODIs: Tie. They've both excelled in the format playing different roles. 

T20Is: N/A. Sachin played only one intl. game. Tamasha league is not a criterion for me.

Misc-

Fielding: N/A. Sachin was an outfielder while Dhoni kept wickets. Can't compare but both were reliable in the field.

Bowling: N/A since Dhoni has bowled very little in intl. games (22 overs) and is primarily a keeper. Not fair to compare. Sachin has won us games with the ball though.

Captaincy: Dhoni.

overall : Dhoni :icflove:

On 11/2/2017 at 9:05 PM, Rasgulla said:

Bhavneet kab se Pakistani hogaya ? He was good in 90s because rest of them are average. He would have been just an another guy in modern day cricket. His SR and average similar to Dhawan and Dhawan is not even best cricketer in that Indian squad. Explain that..

Last 10 years modern enough for you, my friend? :winky:

59fd73f3f18fb_Screenshot-2017-11-4BattingrecordsOne-DayInternationalsCricinfoStatsguruESPNCricinfo(1).thumb.png.ed46cf6888ac2c4de8b9c193c2f477f0.png

I don't quite understand how a selfish accumulator who tuk tuked his way to 130 ball hundreds all the time has a higher SR than serial match-winners like Kohli and Dhoni. Mind you, we aren't talking about Tendulkar in his prime here. He's pretty much in the autumn of his career and yet he's got the 3rd highest SR for India in the last 10 years against non-minnows. I am also wondering why only Rahane has a worse SR than Dhoni in the last 10 years. I hope someone explains this as one would have thought Kohli and MSD would be well ahead of SRT in terms of SR as they were pretty much in their prime whereas SRT was well past his peak. :icflove:

Edited by Jimmy Cliff
On 02/11/2017 at 11:22 PM, putrevus said:

Newbies does not mean weaker squads. that 2007 squad is still overall the strongest Indian t20 squad.

You are talking about just two what about all the losing he had with stronger squads.He was the reason for India not winning another T20 title.

India has lost not one , not two, not three, not four but five WcT20 under his great leadership. 

2 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

Flat pitches 

Most of the times middle and lower order doesn't even get to bat on those flat pitches in general like sachin used to do..  On many occasions Dhoni has to take team to respectable total when top order fails. His selective stats are doesn't prove anything. We all know how bad he is chasing scores compared to Dhoni and Virat. 

On 11/4/2017 at 4:15 AM, Jimmy Cliff said:

Last 10 years modern enough for you, my friend? :winky:

59fd73f3f18fb_Screenshot-2017-11-4BattingrecordsOne-DayInternationalsCricinfoStatsguruESPNCricinfo(1).thumb.png.ed46cf6888ac2c4de8b9c193c2f477f0.png

I don't quite understand how a selfish accumulator who tuk tuked his way to 130 ball hundreds all the time has a higher SR than serial match-winners like Kohli and Dhoni. Mind you, we aren't talking about Tendulkar in his prime here. He's pretty much in the autumn of his career and yet he's got the 3rd highest SR for India in the last 10 years against non-minnows. I am also wondering why only Rahane has a worse SR than Dhoni in the last 10 years. I hope someone explains this as one would have thought Kohli and MSD would be well ahead of SRT in terms of SR as they were pretty much in their prime whereas SRT was well past his peak. :icflove:

Tendu after 2011 didn't play many ODIs and declined rapidly too. However, you are wrong to say he was in the autumn of his career for 2007-2011. I think his avg for those four years was over 50, and there were several memorable performances such as that 175 against Oz.

2 hours ago, Vijy said:

Tendu after 2011 didn't play many ODIs and declined rapidly too. However, you are wrong to say he was in the autumn of his career for 2007-2011. I think his avg for those four years was over 50, and there were several memorable performances such as that 175 against Oz.

Tendu was rated in top 20 ATG of century by year 2000. And i think he and Warne were only player ever, still playing and in to feature in the list. And for newbies, till 2000, BCCI had absolutely no power. CA and ECB used to rule the world. It was so bad that Indians used to side with Pakistanis, that too unconditionally.

Ask Pakistani and Indian fans/players who have watched that era. They will tell how official used to bully their team. Not just bully, but just humiliate them.

Neither Kohli, nor MSD will feature in such list.

Edited by mishra

Tendulkar did not have match winners like gambir, sehwag, dhawan, Yuvraj and Raina etc. He had players who were individually good but hardly played in the context of match due to their limitations. Maybe only Jadeja and Robin Singh showed some attitude to win game in a few matches. Apart from that most of them used to bat in their own bubble.

Dhoni benefitted immensely from other match winners. Apart from initial few matches in his early career against Pakistan which marked the beginning of dhoni era he was never a match winner soon. The street smart guy that dhoni is he realised that he is going to go Afridi way if he does not tweak his game and play a different role in the team since he did not have proper technique. He tweaked his game and played second fiddle in a team full of match winners which was a necessity and became an ODI great. It was a great decision by dhoni which helped India a lot since we had a reliable keeper batsman which we yearned for and a batsman who made sure we didn't throw away games which were ours to lose .

2 hours ago, Vijy said:

They were the last 5 years of a 23 year long career. Of course it was the autumn of his career. That he found a way to do well for the most part in this phase doesn't change the fact that he was almost a decade past his peak (96-98).

On 11/8/2017 at 1:28 PM, mishra said:

Tendu was rated in top 20 ATG of century by year 2000. And i think he and Warne were only player ever, still playing and in to feature in the list. And for newbies, till 2000, BCCI had absolutely no power. CA and ECB used to rule the world. It was so bad that Indians used to side with Pakistanis, that too unconditionally.

Ask Pakistani and Indian fans/players who have watched that era. They will tell how official used to bully their team. Not just bully, but just humiliate them.

Neither Kohli, nor MSD will feature in such list.

I think Kohli stands a good chance. He is young and if he continues to perform consistently for the next 4-5 years, he will go one to break many records.