ODI series in South Africa is upon us, your predictions?

Cricketics

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

If SA wants to be kind w.r.t pitches we may nick a win or two. If they are like 2013/2011/2006 style ODI pithes 5-1 to SA. Our middle order is atm weakest among the top 8 teams, Dhoni will again show what a joke he is. 

While I agree our middle order is weak , in SA most of our matches will be lost cos of the top order . If the pitches are like previous tours , I have zero hopes from our openers .

3 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

We will win 4-2 easy.

Our ODI team is better settled than test team and SA is weaker.

More importantly we have the best bowling attack in the world with Bumrah Bhuvi and Chahal .

Just hope we play S Iyer ahead of D Karthik ,otherwise the team picks itself comfortably.

Really?our middle order batting is very shaky,dhoni,jhadav,pandey are not good enough on these surface.saf are very strong at home ,if they make flat pitches then that'll take our bowling out of the equation .

I see it the other way actually ,saf should win this series comfortably 

7 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

While I agree our middle order is weak , in SA most of our matches will be lost cos of the top order . If the pitches are like previous tours , I have zero hopes from our openers .

Good point. Rohit and dhawan are world beaters in Flattish tracks but if they prepare pitches similar to 2011 ,we'll be 30/2 in almost every game 

43 minutes ago, adi B said:

Really?our middle order batting is very shaky,dhoni,jhadav,pandey are not good enough on these surface.saf are very strong at home ,if they make flat pitches then that'll take our bowling out of the equation .

I see it the other way actually ,saf should win this series comfortably 

Even on the flattest surfaces , Bhuvi Chahal and Bumrah are gun bowlers.The bounce should suit Shami as well.

So regardless of surfaces our bowlers will do the job.

Pandey won't be in the XI and Jadhav will do the job.

1 hour ago, BeautifulGame said:

Even on the flattest surfaces , Bhuvi Chahal and Bumrah are gun bowlers.The bounce should suit Shami as well.

So regardless of surfaces our bowlers will do the job.

Pandey won't be in the XI and Jadhav will do the job.

I have my doubts.i think this team is too up and down in odis,bowling has improved a lot but batting in middle overs has become poor. We won't get whitewashed like we did in 2013 but we aren't a consistent odi unit 

I want to see serious pressure being put on Indian team's old school batting tactics.  I want them to lose a game or 2 due to not scoring enough runs in the 1st 10-15 overs.   

20 months or so ago, I posted about wanting to see Chahal and Hardik Pandya as ODI regulars with 30-40 games experience before the 2019 WC.   That has happened.  We need a spin bowling version of Hardik in the ODI team - while Kedar Jadhav has done better than expected with the ball, I don't trust him for the WC.  With the bat either.   If we are going to look at a new guy for that slot, then he has to be inducted asap, else it will the choice between Jadhav, Raina, or tossing in a newbie in the WC - which may work, but is not ideal.  

Speaking of ideal, I didn't expect Dhoni to stick around in ODIs till the WC either - but I can make peace with reality on that front, and Dhoni's borderline tolerable in ODIs (not at all in T20s).  I would have wanted to see a Sanju Samson instead of Dinesh Karthik in the squad, but Samson is another batsman who is a better fit in the top 3, and not a proven commodity behind the stumps.   

I want to see Lokesh Rahul batting in the top 3 for the ODI team, Hardik Pandya getting an extended run at #5.  And even higher at times.  I would rather see a lineup of Dhawan, Rohit, Rahul, VK, Pandya, Jadhav/Krunal, Dhoni, bowlers.  

On the bowling front, we are way over-dependent on the Killer Bs at the moment.  It would be nice to see other pacers stepping up and proving themselves in ODIs.  Even if it is someone like an Unadkat or Sangwan.  I don't care if the name is old and tired, or new and fashionable.  

Bottomline, I want this SA ODI series to put pressure and expose the personnel and strategy weaknesses of this Indian team.  Results are secondary to that.  

10 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

4-2 with us winning the last 2 deadrubbers.

Abd will blitzkrieg in 2 of the Odis and we know how de kock likes hitting 100s against us.

QdK is in a funk.  And he's very much a blow hot blow cold type of bat.  

But yeah, ABDV's gonna ABDV.   

This series will be an opportunity for batsmen at #4 through 6 to put up some big scores.   I hope Shreyas Iyer grabs his chances.  

One thing we ll witness is no consistency with No.4 

Karthik, Iyer, pandey and even rahane wud be our options

Anyone fails 2 games he ll be dropped and then next, then next .....

Rahane actually might not do bad as he has always enjoyed making Runs against Sa be it World cup 2015 or home series and such pitches wont trouble him much to. 

Pandey also might like those pitches if they dont serve some grass on it 

But i think kohli will start with karthik . 

Pandey, rahane, iyer gives u good fielders on ground to so thats always a must against Sa. 

I hve a feeling this might be the last we see of jadhav

His bowling wont be of much use....his fielding is always shoddy and then Sa fielder will test his runnings

I have always had doubts of his batting against high pace n bounce

Pandya isnt still a complete 5th bowler and the day he gets a beating , the look out to complete 10 overs can be expensive very expensive . Aur dua karo aisi situation men samne Abdv ya morris na ho