WC squad selected, DK n Jaddu selected.....no rayudu, pant

11 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

Dhoni is in great form this year and a much better option than hit or miss DK and slogger Pant.this isnt T20 cricket,you need an ability to build innings if wickets fall and i dont trust DK and Pant at all.

That i agree. More often than  not, one day matches are lost due to lack of basic common sense and clear head. 

Edited by vvvslaxman
23 hours ago, swastikpanda2 said:

Some of the folks here are going overboard. This is a good selection and thank them that they didn't take Rayudu.

From Selectors perspective -

The combination is going to be 5 Bat + 1 WK + 1 AR + 2 Spin + 2 Pace
India will not be playing 3 seamers + Pandya in match. Jadeja will play as AR if all 3 seamers are going to play which is less likely.

1 Back up for Top order Batsman : KL Rahul

1 Back up for Finisher/Lower Order/ WK : Dinesh Karthick

1 Back up for spinner and AR spot: R Jadeja (sub fielder)

1 Back up for seamer: Shami / Bhuvi

Pandya is better than the likes of Khaleel, Shardul, Inconsistent Umesh.

And realistically taking Navdeep Saini to WC is just like taking a chance.

Great post..

Laying it out graphically, here is the squad.

This is how the playing XI is likely to be selected too.

Starting XI Backup
1 Rohit Rahul (1-3)
2 Dhawan
3 Kohli
4 Shankar DK (4-6)
5 Dhoni
6 Jadhav
7 Pandya Jadeja (7-9)
8 Kuldeep
9 Chahal
10 Shami Bhuvi (10-11)
11 Bumrah
Edited by bowl_out
5 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

Dhoni is in great form this year and a much better option than hit or miss DK and slogger Pant.this isnt T20 cricket,you need an ability to build innings if wickets fall and i dont trust DK and Pant at all.

A much younger Dhoni was in equally great form before 2007 WC, 2009 CT, 2013 CT, 2015 WC, 2015 WC and 2017 CT.

What did he do in the actual tournament? Nothing

What is common thread? All played outside Asia

It’s a bit like Miandad playing the 96 WC, selected for experience, but ended up hurting his team badly.

7 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

Ghanta great form. He was huffing and puffing while chasing sub 250 targets. The targets won't be so low in the world cup

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Karthik made debut in 2005 I think.  Was not part of the world cup 2007, 2011, 2015 lol suddenly part of 2019 world cup squad. I am not sure anyone has made it to the world cup side for the first time after missing 3 world cups.

DK was part of 2007 world cup. Good signs..:lol:

The Australian tour of England last year was in June July wherein England blanked out the aussies 5-0 in the Odis 

Almost all of them were 300 plus scores except maybe for the first game 

We still do not know how the pitches and the weather will behave but history is on the side of batters. Our batters needs to be in good form, and our lower middle must contribute in the days the top order fails.. As far as the bowlers are concerned, I feel barring injuries we should be fine. They wanted a good 12th man who will come and field and that's how Jaddu fits in. 

My only issue is Pants omission.

The world cup would have been a good experience for him and would have helped him mature quickly.. We have already invested in him, and it was time to show the faith in him.

If Pandya fails, we are into the tails and there is no revival from there if we are batting first

Playing kulcha together is the way to go in England ,they complement each other well .

I wont read too much from their form recently in India especially the IPL, it's clear they tend to struggle a bit where the bounce is less but away from home in SENA conditions they absolutely enjoy bowling due to the extra bounce and pace off the wkt .

These guys destroyed aus,nzl, saf in their home, I'll go by that form .

Only problem is that good for nothing jadeja might sneak into the playing X1 if one of them has a bad match 

17 minutes ago, Adi BB said:

Playing kulcha together is the way to go in England ,they complement each other well .

I wont read too much from their form recently in India especially the IPL, it's clear they tend to struggle a bit where the bounce is less but away from home in SENA conditions they absolutely enjoy bowling due to the extra bounce and pace off the wkt .

These guys destroyed aus,nzl, saf in their home, I'll go by that form .

Only problem is that good for nothing jadeja might sneak into the playing X1 if one of them has a bad match 

how did they enjoy bowling in England last time in ODIs?

9 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

Dhoni was in magnificent form after hitting the trundlers in IPL and there was a sense of belief that the old thaila was back but all that was hogwash and it came crashing when he crapped in intl cricket that year in t20s and odis.

If you trust dhoni to save our team in the WC you are badly mistaken ,dhoni has been past it for about 3-4 years now with the odd flame going up here or there. 

The only utility if dhoni is in the field and with the gloves and also when the team is In crunch situation chasing a sub 250 target  (which I doubt due to the flat pitches of England) .

In the bigger scheme ,Dhoni will be a roadblock in setting a 320 par total or chasing a 270+ total which will be the norm score in the WC 

4 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

how did they enjoy bowling in England last time in ODIs?

Did very well till the last odi .

In the 2nd odi England were 80 odd for no loss with a great start and then reduced to around 230 odd for 6 ,from there the death bowlers and willy did kabada for us else we should have hot them under 290 and that total would have been chased by most sides .

By the last odi England got used to them but we cant compare other batting line ups with England  they are class above, also in the WC we have to face England just once , the other teams wont find it easy playing kulcha in England