Why not play Mayank Agarwal ?

This guy could potentially stabilise your middle order with Rahul at 4. Or i hope they get DK / Pant to open. Otherwise we have Kohli and Rohit shivering with prospects to come. 

I can’t think of a single major tournament where India lost purely because of selection brainfarts. This will be first one. It’s unbelievable how a potentially great team with top bowling line up has been screwed up selection of frenetic non proper batsmen. 

Edited by ravishingravi
1 hour ago, sandeep said:

Imagine if we had given Rishabh Pant about 8 to 10 games as ODI opener already.  He would have had the experience of having to do the job in a variety of match situations, and we would know for sure whether it was a good fit for him. 

Imagine if Pandya had been given the opportunity to consistently bat at #4 or even 5, over the last 2 years.  He could have possibly learnt to adapt to situations and we would know whether he can play longer innings with some degree of reliability.  Or not. 

These are just 2 obvious resource management decisions that were staring the team in the face.  But these options were not explored simply because it threatens the status quo. 

Top 3 batting slots are zamindar jagirs, not to be given up unless forced to do so.  And playing Pandya in the middle order would expose Dhoni's lack of hitting even more than it already is.  

So what if the team is not playing at optimal strength.   The ad revenue for Dhoni, Virat, Rohit and Dhawan is optimal at least.  Why rock the boat? 

That is what it boils down to. Bloody crooks keeping all the spoils to themselves. Poindexter types who advertisers don't even take a second look at got extended runs - Rayudu, Jadhav, VJ Shankar, etc. 

1 hour ago, nevada said:

That is what it boils down to. Bloody crooks keeping all the spoils to themselves. Poindexter types who advertisers don't even take a second look at got extended runs - Rayudu, Jadhav, VJ Shankar, etc. 

Bhai, 'hero' spots of this picchar are already taken.  If you want to have the privilege of wearing India colors as a batsman, sign up to play the 'supporting actor' role, with all of the risk, little reward, don't rock the boat, and be ready to be benched at a moment's notice. 

Jadhav, Rayudu, Pandey, they all had their flaws, and arguably they failed to grab on to the few opportunities that they did have.  But there is a reason why Yuvraj in his retirement press conference, said what he did about the #4 slot.  He openly said that there's a lot that I could say, but I am not going to.  And followed it up with a sincere plea that whoever is asked to bat there, be given support and backing from the team -because it is one of the hardest slots to bat at. 

23 hours ago, sandeep said:

Bhai, 'hero' spots of this picchar are already taken.  If you want to have the privilege of wearing India colors as a batsman, sign up to play the 'supporting actor' role, with all of the risk, little reward, don't rock the boat, and be ready to be benched at a moment's notice. 

Jadhav, Rayudu, Pandey, they all had their flaws, and arguably they failed to grab on to the few opportunities that they did have.  But there is a reason why Yuvraj in his retirement press conference, said what he did about the #4 slot.  He openly said that there's a lot that I could say, but I am not going to.  And followed it up with a sincere plea that whoever is asked to bat there, be given support and backing from the team -because it is one of the hardest slots to bat at. 

Personally, I feel that No. 5 is the hardest, closely followed by No. 4 (and then No. 6). I'm a big fan of pant, but I feel he will be more effective either as an opener or lower-middle-order instead of no. 4

KL Rahul is coming on to his own. He didn't flop as an opener. He was a bit slow. After the century he played some sublime shots against Malinga. He is increasingly gaining confidence. They already have an understanding. Rohit and Rahul. We don't want to keep on changing the partner of Rohit Sharma. For few "imaginary quick runs" we don't want to impact Rohit's batting. A simple misunderstanding which leads to run out can cause a huge impact. Right now they understand each other well. Infact Rohit is more aggressive with Rahul taking time. It works well as a team.

KL Rahul & Rohit Sharma (Overall)

7 innings

634 runs

90.57 avge

5.65 RR

KL Rahul & Rohit Sharma (as openers)

6 innings

549 runs

91.50 avge

5.70 RR

Dhawan & Rohit Sharma (as openers)

2 innings

140 runs

70.00 avge

5.06 RR

Why do we need to disturb this combination when these two look like an upgrade compared to Dhawan & Rohit.? We cannot keep on tinkering thinking that we can extract a little more from these two

5 hours ago, Audiophile said:

That is exactly what I was thinking. I am certain he will fit right in based on what I saw in the Boxing day test. He is a gritty type of character. Why reuse Jhadav and DK over and over again. 

If Mayank can bowl his off spin he can shoe in in place of Jadhav. We need 6 bowlers for SF /F. 

4 minutes ago, vijay50 said:

If Mayank can bowl his off spin he can shoe in in place of Jadhav. We need 6 bowlers for SF /F. 

mayank is not even a part-timer. he is a part-time part-timer. jadhav also bowled little before his int'l career, but by now, he has much more bowling experience (if not ability) than mayank. besides, without zero exposure there's virtually zero chance TM will play him directly in SF.

Can't risk Mayank in semifinals.. if he fails then whole country will be after him nd kohli. Poor chap will receive loathe nd abuse from 1 billion people.. this afterthoughts can potentially impact his batting in one of the most pressure situation while debuting.. He's there as a cover.. god forbids if anything happens to one of the bastmen in playing 11 then he can come in..  

not apt point in time to open with Mayank.yes .... he has a far superior list a record when compared to Rahul & a few seniors. But,   in the

midst of such an important  series is not the apt circumstance for that. He should  either have been given chances long before or should be tried once the world cup is over. Another important point to think is that Mayank seems to be a very good long term option for a test opener. Despite having such a superb 'list A record' , there is a small risk of getting his 'test batting  temperament' getting affected  in the long run if he is  loaded with opening in both formats. We have to keep in mind that India never had a successful opener till now 'both formats combined(Sehwag comes close to it )',  not even Sachin, That proves the difficulty of the task.So that too should be taken into account.