Shakib Al Hasan receives two year ban from all cricket, with one year suspended, after accepting three charges of breaching the ICC Anti-Corruption Code

15 minutes ago, Norman said:

Can someone please explain to me this 2 year ban and 1 year suspension thing?  :hmmmm2:

He will be banned for one year. After that, he can come back to play but he will be on a "suspended" sentence for the next 1 year. Don't know exactly what that means but I guess it's like the player is on a tight leash during this suspension period with any further violation inviting much stricter penalties. 

7 minutes ago, Norman said:

So how long is he out ? :hmmmm2:

1 or 2 years ? 

Under the provisions of the Code, Mr Al Hasan chose to admit the charges and agreed the sanction with the ICC in lieu of an Anti-Corruption Tribunal hearing. Subject to him satisfying the conditions in respect of the suspended part of the sanction, he will be free to resume international cricket on 29 October 2020.

Edit Effectively he will miss the WT20 scheduled next year

Edited by SK_IH

I didn't know not reporting a bookie will constitute a ban. Its not like he was fixing games. I think BCB is taking its revenge on Shakib as he was the leader of the players in the payment dispute. This will further weaken bang. All the interest is gone in the test series. Hopefully the t20s are interesting. More outrage incoming from bang fans and claims of BCCI involvement in this ban :phehe: will check out there site and maybe try to troll there :laugh: 

12 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Under the provisions of the Code, Mr Al Hasan chose to admit the charges and agreed the sanction with the ICC in lieu of an Anti-Corruption Tribunal hearing. Subject to him satisfying the conditions in respect of the suspended part of the sanction, he will be free to resume international cricket on 29 October 2020.

Edit Effectively he will miss the WT20 scheduled next year

Got it. Thanks man. :nice:

"Do we work in this or I wait til the IPL" - Bookie to Shakib.

Failure to report several approaches from an alleged corruptor Deepak Aggarwal, who was seeking inside information, is why Bangladesh's Test and T20I captain Shakib Al Hassan has been banned by the ICC's anti-corruption unit on Tuesday.

We don't know yet why Shakib, cricket's premier allrounder (he is ranked third in Tests, first in ODIs and second in T20Is in the ICC's player rankings) failed to report the approaches to the ACU, especially as he has previously reported corrupt approaches. But we do know a little about the conversations with Aggarwal that led to this sanction.

November 2017

According to information made public by the ICC, the first time Aggarwal got in touch with Shakib was in November 2017, during the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) where he was playing for Dhaka Dynamites. Shakib's contact, the ICC said, was provided to Aggarwal by "another person" who was close to the player. Aggarwal had asked this unnamed person to "provide" him with contacts for players in the 2017 BPL.

Over the course of several Whatsapp messages, Aggarwal tried to instigate a meeting with Shakib.

January 2018

Bangladesh hosted an ODI tri-series with Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe. On January 19, Bangladesh beat Sri Lanka and Shakib was Man-of-the-Match. Aggarwal "congratulated" Shakib on his performance and then followed it with a cryptic message that raised ACU eyebrows. "Mr Aggarwal followed this message with a message saying "do we work in this or I wait til the IPL"," the ICC said in the statement.

"The reference to "work" in this message was a reference to him [Shakib] providing Inside Information to Mr Aggarwal."

Shakib never reported this approach either to the ACU, or to any other relevant authority.

Four days later, Aggarwal sent another message, more explicit, to Shakib: "Bro anything in this series?" Once again Shakib opted not to report the approach to the ACU or even the BCB.

April 2018

On April 26, 2018, during IPL 2018, Sunrisers Hyderabad - Shakib's franchise - were playing a home match against Kings XI Punjab. Aggarwal messaged Shakib on the day of the match, and it was during this conversation that Shakib eventually said he wanted to meet Aggarwal.

He received a WhatsApp message from Mr Aggarwal that day asking him whether a particular player was going to be playing in the game that day, i.e. again asking for Inside Information," the ICC statement said. "Mr Aggarwal continued this conversation with him by talking about bitcoins, dollar accounts and asked him for his dollar account details. During this conversation, he told Mr Aggarwal that he wanted to meet him "first"."

Shakib admitted to the ACU later that he had deleted several other messages from this April 26 Whatsapp conversation. It was then that Shakib grew concerned. However, once again he did not report the approach.

"He confirmed that he had concerns over Mr Aggarwal, feeling he was a bit "dodgy", and that, following their conversations, he had the feeling that Mr Aggarwal was a bookie," the ICC statement said.

The ACU officers interviewed Shakib in person in Bangladesh twice this year - on January 23 and then on August 27.

Shakib readily accepted the charges.

"During these interviews, Mr Al Hasan was cautioned that the answers and information provided by him could be used as evidence to support a charge or charges in relation to a breach of the Code, if they revealed that Mr Al Hasan might have breached the Code, either by acting corruptly himself or by failing to report corrupt approaches or corrupt actions by others. After receiving these cautions, Mr Al Hasan admitted various failures to report approaches made to him to provide Inside Information to Mr Aggarwal."

Link - https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27956486/do-work-i-wait-til-ipl-bookie-shakib

11 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

should atleast play the India series. as sehwag said, bangbr0s dramebaazi can't be controlled :phehe:

Many Bangladesh fans still don't think Shakib has done anything wrong here. According to them- Shakib is being framed because of standing against corrupt officials of BCB & being the leader of player's revolt. Also, ICC is biased in case of punishing players from Big-3 while Bangladeshi players are unfairly targeted. :no: 

4 hours ago, Cricketics said:

If he did not report it, he can easily challenge since player can feel scared to report anything these days. I think 2 years ban or even anything more than 6 months is extremely harsh for someone who did not fix any game. 

That's actually a very good point. I always wondered how ICC protects their player after they report such incident. I am certain that some of the bookies has mafia/gang/etc relation and could Infact threaten family and friends life. What plans do they have in a situation like that? Anyone knows

9 hours ago, Turning_track said:

Many Bangladesh fans still don't think Shakib has done anything wrong here. According to them- Shakib is being framed because of standing against corrupt officials of BCB & being the leader of player's revolt. Also, ICC is biased in case of punishing players from Big-3 while Bangladeshi players are unfairly targeted. :no: 

one of them even said there was a bookie talking with kohli in one of the matches. when another presumably indian questioned about this bookie, no reply was given :phehe: Some even equated this to ball tampering by smith and warner which is a minor offense compared to bookies and match fixing. The comments about BCB may have some value. In any case, he didn't fix matches just failed to report the bookies. Also @Zero_Unit mentioned security issues for players in asian countries is not guaranteed and there is no provision by ICC. Just slap a fine and let him play. Bang without Shakib will make a boring test series.