Full auction likely ahead of IPL 2021

Ankit_sharma03

As the most challenging edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) comes to an end, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has seemingly begun preparations for the next edition of the T20 league. In fact, in all likelihood, contrary to the popular belief, the BCCI is likely to coduct a full auction ahead of the next edition.

Sportstar understands that the BCCI hierarchy has indicated it to the franchises informally that the full auction will be scheduled early next year, with an eye on the IPL’s supposed return to India after the 2020 edition was rescheduled in United Arab Emirates due to the pandemic.

According to a BCCI insider, the full auction is being planned since “the BCCI has plans to add a ninth team” to the IPL fold for the 2021 edition. The move, according to the insider, is aimed at striking a financial balance in the aftermath of the pandemic.

Should the BCCI - embroiled in administrative muddle with top office-bearers whose term is over sticking to their positions hoping for the apex court to hear their plea - decide to float a tender, a corporate giant is likely to go all out for bagging a new franchise based in Ahmedabad. The Gujarat Cricket Association has refurbirshed the international stadium in Ahmedabad with a record capacity of 1,10,000.

BCCI president Sourav Ganguly said last week the discussions over the structure for IPL 2021 are ongoing and a decision will be taken in due course.

Link - https://sportstar.thehindu.com/cricket/ipl/ipl-news/ipl-2021-full-auction-sourav-ganguly-bcci-president-gujarat-cricket-association-sports-news/article33068172.ece

9 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

buzz is one more team for next yr

Jay Shah’s influence I guess Gujarat will get a new franchise or resurrection of Guj Lions maybe? Curious what the 10th franchise will be if that happens, something political- Kashmir,North East or back to Pune :facepalm: or May be Kerala again?

Edited by maniac

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Jay Shah’s influence I guess Gujarat will get a new franchise or resurrection of Guj Lions maybe? Curious what the 10th franchise will be if that happens, something political- Kashmir,North East or back to Pune :facepalm: or May be Kerala again?

gujarat shud be 1 other shud be UP....i dnt wanna see Pune its no point 

Gujarat n UP are 2 markets that needs to be tapped 

6 hours ago, maniac said:

Unadkat is on his way to another million bucks ... yeah. :facepalm:

I don't like full auction at all. 

Why would a franchise invest in a young 16 year old and groom him if they know that they have to let go of that player anyway in 3 years. It's a waste of investment. 

The core of the teams should remain the same and only transfers should take place between teams. 

Edited by OpeningBatsman

If the Franchise is based on J&K for political reasons..  Dharmashala should be the home ground..  Or somewhat combine J&K & HP into Northern Panthers type.  

Rumour is PSL is also looking to add another team from PoK..  I won't be surprised if BCCI & Amit Shah push for a team from J&K. 

On 11/11/2020 at 9:35 PM, OpeningBatsman said:

Why would a franchise invest in a young 16 year old and groom him if they know that they have to let go of that player anyway in 3 years. It's a waste of investment. 

The core of the teams should remain the same and only transfers should take place between teams. 

Right

On 11/11/2020 at 9:44 PM, Lone Wolf said:

If the Franchise is based on J&K for political reasons..  Dharmashala should be the home ground..  Or somewhat combine J&K & HP into Northern Panthers type.  

Rumour is PSL is also looking to add another team from PoK..  I won't be surprised if BCCI & Amit Shah push for a team from J&K. 

There are much bigger markets than JK, HP IMO...even when combined. I think states like MP, Odisha, Jharkhand, Assam and Chhattisgarh will be more viable at least when it comes to economics, interest, population, centres....

Anyway this will be the pecking order I think:

Gujarat

UP

Kerala

Rest

Edited by Gollum

Even a 15 team IPL can be done smoothly if it becomes single round-robin...with home/away venues alternating every year...if DC plays MI in Mumbai this year (league stage), venue will be Delhi next year, after that Mumbai and so on and so forth. Then there must be more matches on some days, maybe 3 on weekends and 2 on Friday.....workable and I think it can be completed in 10 weeks time. Players too will get more rest days between 2 matches, same 14 games in the league but spread over a couple of more weeks. 

Maybe top 8 qualifies to a tourney to be held in Aug/Sep (preferably outside India to engage our diaspora), a CT like short event which can be done and dusted within a fortnight. So a league in March-May and shorter tourney (2 groups of 4 teams each, SF, F) in Aug/Sep. Even teams that have no chance of winning IPL will try to somehow finish in top 8 and in a CT like format we could see a few giant slayers stealing the show. 

On 11/11/2020 at 9:35 PM, OpeningBatsman said:

Agree with that.

Failed teams like DC, Punjab, RR  and RCB haven't won even one IPL in all these years. Maybe these few failed team will welcome this move and will be glad if this full auction actually happens.

Just now, Straight Drive said:

Agree with that.

Failed teams like DC, Punjab, RR  and RCB haven't won even one IPL in all these years. Maybe these few failed team will welcome this move and will be glad if this full auction actually happens.

Which shouldn't be encouraged. There are already a lot of poorly performing teams and they're going to add one more to this.

18 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

Which shouldn't be encouraged. There are already a lot of poorly performing teams and they're going to add one more to this.

One way out to increase the teams without lacking quality in new teams is to increase the number of foreign participants in playing 11 from 4 to 6, so that teams who lack quality Indian core may look better. This may help teams like Delhi, Punjab, RCB and Rajasthan. Maybe that will also help the new teams to build a fairly good squad even though full auction does not happens.

Now that IPL is a proven franchisee tournament with a huge marketable value,  I feel new teams are inevitable as BCCI will look to increase the revenue as well as expand the reach 

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

@Gollum 15 team IPL would take the sheen off the tournament.

Would you want to watch a Jharkhand Jholmasters vs Toothless Telangana game?

I mean even with 8 teams there are some games which are barely watchable.

Mainly so that more Indian domestic players get chances to shine. To maintain quality increase number of foreign players to 5-6 per side. That way you can have 75-90 Indian players compared to 56 right now. of course more in the squad as well who will get to spend time with top players, coaches and get access to the best fitness trainers, nutritionists, infra, video analysts etc. 

Ultimately we must do all we can to improve Indian cricket, IPL is not just entertainment season, it is a tool to improve the state of Indian cricket. Think of how many more stadiums, cricket associations etc. will benefit/improve with addition of teams, not to forget boost to local economy (ok repeating your words from a couple of years back :p:). Also more teams means many of the non-cricket areas (even Kerala falls in that category) will see rise in interest, you need a certain attachment to your team to spark passion for the game and Ranji has failed to do that mainly because of the format and lack of sheen.. Talking about our NE folks and those in tribal belt, a NE Rhinos and Raipur Tigers will get more loyalty/involvement from locals who so far had to root for teams with no connection to their roots. Even if those franchises don't gain success in initial years, will pay dividends in the long run, and by long run I mean at least a decade. Right now Indian cricket's talent pool excludes some regions which have amazing natural ability in sports (not one male/female cricketer from NE which consistently produces our best athletes). Our football and hockey leagues have included some of these lesser profile regions and we are seeing huge spurt in rising talent from there, getting reflected in national team representation and improvement in India's performance. 

I am sure Gujarat, Pune, UP, Kerala will get their teams in near future. That makes it 12, instead of adding more teams from Maha, TN, Kar, Pun, Guj etc. I hope we get one from NE and maybe a couple from tribal belt and central India (like MP with cricket centres Indore, Gwalior)  which will make it a truly pan-India league. 

Edited by Gollum