Mohd. Siraj's father passes away. Pacer can't attend last rites

Serpico

https://www.siasat.com/mohammad-sirajs-father-passes-away-pacer-cant-attend-last-rites-2027693/

MOhammed-Siraj.webp

Hyderabad: Father of Indian pacer Mohammed Siraj has passed away due to a lung ailment, in Hyderabad on Friday. He was 53. Siraj is presently in Australia along with the Indian team as his father, Mohammed Ghouse, breathed his last at a hospital in Hyderabad.

The news has reportedly reached Mohammed Siraj, 26, who is training with the national team in Sydney. He heard the news after returning from the practice session, reported Sportstar.com, a sports website of The Hindu.

“My dad’s wish was always this – mera beta, desh ka Naam Roshan Karna (my son, you should make my country proud). And, I will do that for sure,” the fast bowler told Sportstar.

“It is shocking. I lost the biggest support of my life. It was his dream to see me play for the country and I am glad that way I could realise that and bring joy for him,” he told the website.

With quarantine rules in place, Siraj will not be able to travel to India for the last rites.

The Royal Challengers Bangalore pacer in the recently concluded IPL stunned the cricket fraternity with his ‘magical performance’ as he ripped through Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) on October 21, at the Sheikh Zayed Cricket Stadium in Abu Dhabi.

After the performance, Siraj had revealed that his father was not well. In a video, he had said, “My dad is unwell these days. His lungs are in bad shape so he has difficulty breathing. I am really worried about that. I can’t even go home to meet and motivate him. I talk on the phone but whenever I do, he starts crying. I can’t even talk for longer hours because I don’t like seeing him crying. So I disconnect the phone early because I can’t hold myself for long. So, I pray to God for his good health. He was admitted to the hospital before the last game. I was really concerned that dad was in the hospital.”

1 minute ago, maniac said:

it’s not that easy with all the bio bubble protocols given Aus is also having a strong second wave now.

Not saying immediately, burial might even be over by now. But a week or two later he can land in India and be with his mom and siblings. Not like he is going to play white ball formats or an automatic starter in tests. 

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Not saying immediately, burial might even be over by now. But a week or two later he can land in India and be with his mom and siblings. Not like he is going to play white ball formats or an automatic starter in tests. 

the problem is we are already under staffed. I have bad feeling from this series already. We have 2 test keepers who both have fitness issues. There are fitness questions on 2 other main players- RISS, Kohli is going to leave and can’t come back. Aussies are already smelling blood. There is a good chance that both Saini and Siraj will get test caps before this series is over. Of course if things can be worked out for his sake I hope he can go but If there are strict protocols I can understand that too given the current climate we all are in.

1 hour ago, zen said:

Ideally, skip the tour and be with your family .... Do not equate playing sport to doing something for your country (a nobody planting trees regularly is probably doing more for his/her country than someone playing cricket for Ind IMO) 

Agreed. I don’t see why people treat Sports like a war. It’s like any other profession, obviously sportsmen are more elite because of the discipline and skill it requires to be one but family comes first and playing cricket for India  isn’t exactly a national emergency.

Now the other perspective is Siraj is a rookie and if he gets replaced he may never be able to get back the slot he earned, so would his family themselves including his late father who provided him with everything  want him to give up his and his families dreams for this unfortunate circumstance. That’s also a possibility. 

We should not judge regardless of the decision. That’s why I am not critical of Kohli’s decision too.

Edited by maniac
19 minutes ago, maniac said:

Agreed. I don’t see why people treat Sports like a war. It’s like any other profession, obviously sportsmen are more elite because of the discipline and skill it requires to be one but family comes first and playing cricket for India  isn’t exactly a national emergency.

Now the other perspective is Siraj is a rookie and if he gets replaced he may never be able to get back the slot he earned, so would his family themselves including his late father who provided him with everything  want him to give up his and his families dreams for this unfortunate circumstance. That’s also a possibility. 

We should not judge regardless of the decision. That’s why I am not critical of Kohli’s decision too.

You're right.  Can't judge either way.  On the one hand, being with family is important during this time.  On the other, this is his and his father's dream.  It's like a one-time chance that may never come back, and the feeling that "this is what he would have wanted me to do" will haunt him for a long time.  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict
2 hours ago, zen said:

Ideally, skip the tour and be with your family .... Do not equate playing sport to doing something for your country (a nobody planting trees regularly is probably doing more for his/her country than someone playing cricket for Ind IMO) 

You do realize that would probably mean the end of his career as he is unlikely to get such a chance again?

I just saw his RCB video where he was talking about his dad's illness, and how tough it was for him to call him from the bubble, only to listen to his father break down and cry.  

RIP.  And let's hope Siraj finds the strength and support he needs to get through these tough times. 

I am a Siraj supporter for red ball cricket, and although Australia isn't the right place for him to debut, I am waiting to see what he can do with red ball in hand. He's an instinctive attacking bowler who likes to bowl at the stumps.  And I agree with @maniac he does seem to be a bit questionable on the mental strength bit.