Steve Smith Smith did not deliberately scuff up crease - Australia captain Paine

sage

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55629954

Steve Smith did not deliberately scuff up the crease during the final day of the third Test against India on Monday, says Australia captain Tim Paine.

Former captain Smith was seen on the stump camera scraping the crease with his boot during a drinks break.

He was criticised on social media, with suggestions he was removing the India batsmen's guard - the marks used to guide where they stand.

"He was certainly not changing a guard," Paine said.

"I imagine if he was, the India players would have kicked up a bit of a stink at the time.

"As we know, he has those many Steve Smith quirks - one of those is he is always marking centre."

Former England captain Michael Vaughan described the incident as "very, very poor".

"He (Smith) is disappointed with the way it has come across," Paine said.

"That is something he does every single game, five or six times per day. He likes to walk up to where he bats and visualise where he is going to play.

"Yesterday you could see him up there playing a couple shots as left-hander as if where he wanted Lyon (Australia spinner Nathan Lyon) to pitch the ball. It is one of his mannerisms."

Paine apologised for his own behaviour on the final day after he was embroiled in a sledging incident with India's Ravichandran Ashwin.

The wicketkeeper, who dropped three catches during the innings, was heard on the stump microphone using an expletive to insult Ashwin.

"I'm someone who prides himself on the way he leads this team and yesterday was a poor reflection of that," said Paine, who was also fined 15% of his match fee for dissent to an umpire on day three.

"My leadership wasn't good enough, I let the pressure of the game get to me. Yesterday, I fell short of my expectations and my team's standards."

Paine has led Australia since Smith's sacking and has been credited with improving the team's culture following the incident in Cape Town.

"I'm human. I want to apologise for the mistakes I made yesterday," Paine added. "We've set really high standards over the last 18 months and yesterday was a bit of a blip on the radar."

Liars !!...both of them.

Who is he trying to fool.

It was the 4th innings. It was not like liar Smith was due to bat any time soon for him to be doing his shadow batting. 

Smith is such a lying low life. Can't believe a word of what he says....

In before kohli comes to his mate's rescue with a character certificate. Liar ,cheater Smith.

Edited by beetle

smith is a cheat enough said. but he didnt do anything that was worthy of a fine though. erasing guards is not a crime. the batsmen can ask the umpire for a new guard. however if he stepped a metre outside and did something with the spikes, thats serious cheating. still a cheat though with sandpapergate and asking the dressing room input for drs. I loved it when this happened

Anne Geddes' meningococcal survivor photos are beautiful ...

Was looking up at the dressing room for DRS help a habitual quirk too? Smith is not just a cheat but a bold faced liar as well. Why would he shadow bat left handed? Is it because he is trying to emulate a mirror reflection of him doing it right handed? This stupid explanation just doesn't add up. Shame on Paine for supporting his asinine behavior. The least he could have done was to assure that Smith won't do this again. 

Just now, nevada said:

Was looking up at the dressing room for DRS help a habitual quirk too? Smith is not just a cheat but a bold faced liar as well. Why would he shadow bat left handed? Is it because he is trying to emulate a mirror reflection of him doing it right handed? This stupid explanation just doesn't add up. Shame on Paine for supporting his asinine behavior. The least he could have done was to assure that Smith won't do this again. 

DRS not deliberate. Brainfade.

Sandpaper not deliberate. Brainfade.

Guard scuffing not deliberate. Brainfade.

It's time to deliberately kick the guy out of cricket.  Time for Steve to fade.  

2 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

DRS not deliberate. Brainfade.

Sandpaper not deliberate. Brainfade.

Guard scuffing not deliberate. Brainfade.

It's time to deliberately kick the guy out of cricket.  Time for Steve to fade.  

He has the maturity level of a kid. He should be banished to under 15 level cricket permanently. At least there, he won't need to cheat and can fulfill his obsession of winning all the time. 

The guy is a freak batsman. He is perhaps the only ATG (in tests) who has a chance to be the player next to bradman. But man o man,..... he is a cheat!

It is not sour grapes or apples or whatever..... he is a proven cheat. Be it the DRS cheating or sandpaper or this "freak mistake:, he has always been on the other side of "spirit of the game".

Him and Warner should have never played this beautiful game. They have disgraced cricket forever.

maybe I am dumb so can someone explain if its really big deal? pant can always make a new guard no? in fact it would actually waste some time for bowling team when we are trying to draw the game. At worst its a distraction for a well set batsman but teams already sledge, bowl fake balls etc to disturb batsman's focus and all of those are accepted as fair game.. maybe smith just invented a new form of distraction?

Yeah the intention is still very petty and childish from smith but why are everyone reacting so seriously here? its no where near using sandpaper or bullying umpires level cheating

1 minute ago, Serpico said:

maybe I am dumb so can someone explain if its really big deal? pant can always make a new guard no? in fact it would actually waste some time for bowling team when we are trying to draw the game. At worst its a distraction for a well set batsman but teams already sledge, bowl fake balls etc to disturb batsman's focus and all of those are accepted as fair game.. maybe smith just invented a new form of distraction?

Yeah the intention is still very petty and childish from smith but why are everyone reacting so seriously here? its no where near using sandpaper or bullying umpires level cheating

It's the pattern.  If this was his very act of pettiness, it wouldn't be bothersome. 

Once a cheater, always a cheater. It runs through his veins. 

Seriously, this guy was banned for 1 year for cheating. What on earth was he thinking doing that unless he is compulsive cheater who cannot help himself. He may be a great batsman, but his greatness is diminished significantly because of cheating.