After watching this: Do you think quality of cricket has gone up or down since 70’s-80’s?

Has cricket quality gone up or down   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Is quality of cricket better in this video from now?

Don't forget that this match was played in Perth ... one of the quickest and bounciest pitches where the ball swung too and there was some seam movement as well.

Moreover, these are the highlights of a very good performance and some of the more lethal deliveries are shown.

Ball by ball bowling on normal paced pitches did not look like this in that era.

Edited by express bowling

With the onset of Power Plays, the game has definitely evolved when in comparison with the plain vanilla 50 overs thing of the past.

The batsman has it much easier, and the bowlers needs to keep innovating on their skillsets. Having more scoring opportunities means also the possibility of a wicket and that works both ways isnt it.

The boring quiet overs between the 20th to 40th has been done away with, and that has augmented the pace and rate of scoring

I would definitely want to see atleast one or spiced up decks in a bilaterals, just to see if the batsman can adjust or if the captains can tweak their strategies

My personal take is that we can reduce 20 overs from the game..100 to 80 will make it more interesting without altering the format too much

6 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Batsmen are batting like they are facing grenades.

6 hours ago, express bowling said:

Don't forget that this match was played in Perth ... one of the quickest and bounciest pitches where the ball swung too and there was some seam movement as well.

Moreover, these are the highlights of a very good performance and some of the more lethal deliveries are shown.

Ball by ball bowling on normal paced pitches did not look like this in that era.

Self confidence counts too. Back then batsmen had traditional mindset and never played unnecessary shots.

Pant would have reverse swept Holding for a six or four back then, not because Holding bowled bad but because T20 gave batsmen plenty of confidence.

1 hour ago, sarchasm said:

I see holding bowl and it makes me think. He was probably as good as Jofra.

Now do a similar montage of Madan lal and binny bowl in the 80s and compare it with Bumrah and Shami and Umesh. That should lay bare the stupidity of this OP.

that’s a dumb point. You are comparing mediocre cricketers to good ones, that has nothing to do with changes or evolution of cricket. It is due to Indian cricket system getting better and producing better talent.

By the same account you can run a montage of Holding or Viv Richards vs the current players from the WI test team. What will that prove then?

Edited by Global.Baba

People are missing the point, May be Bumrah or Shami or anyone else might have bowled a better spell or there might have been 50 better spells since this game. That’s not the point.

People keep saying cricket has changed or gotten better, I don’t see see such a drastic change. Sure fitness,bats,technology have all evolved but if you look at the bowling,fielding,keeping and even the fitness/agility of the WI team here,it doesn’t look inferior to any other team of the modern era.

10 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

People are missing the point, May be Bumrah or Shami or anyone else might have bowled a better spell or there might have been 50 better spells since this game. That’s not the point.

People keep saying cricket has changed or gotten better, I don’t see see such a drastic change. Sure fitness,bats,technology have all evolved but if you look at the bowling,fielding,keeping and even the fitness/agility of the WI team here,it doesn’t look inferior to any other team of the modern era.

That WI team as is would fit into any format in modern day cricket. They don't have to change a lick  in players to be the greatest team of this era too.