Enduring memories as an Team India fan from 96-2001, when India was utterly mediocre and apparently talentless

That's nothing compared to late 2011 to 2013. That was the worst period in India's history. That happened under Dhoni. Not his fault as the oldies tried their best to cling on like leeches. 

8-0 

Then lost at home 2-1

Lost again in kiwi land 1-0. 

And then lost in South Africa 1 -0

Waaah waah. A brilliant record of 12 losses to one win. 

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's nothing compared to late 2011 to 2013. That was the worst period in India's history. That happened under Dhoni. Not his fault as the oldies tried their best to cling on like leeches. 

8-0 

Then lost at home 2-1

Lost again in kiwi land 1-0. 

And then lost in South Africa 1 -0

Waaah waah. A brilliant record of 12 losses to one win. 

Needs a decade to reverse that beating..dafaq what a beating man.

Anyone remember Vijay Bharadwaj ?

Being an Indian cricketer was a lonely journey then for many.

Felt really bad to read how his eye sight got messed up after an operation and he was abandoned.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/news/its-okay-to-fail-and-not-regret-it-says-vijay-bharadwaj-recounting-his-tough-journey-as-a-cricketer/amp_articleshow/76639397.cms?source=images

10 hours ago, neel roy said:

Don’t forget to add Sarandeep Singh, Bhupinder Singh, Vijay Bharadwaj ( i liked him actually.. very handy bowler), Jacob Martin , Atul Bedade, Noel David, Sujith Somasundar ( huge expectations.. someone said the best bat in india), pankaj dharmani,vijay yadav, sanjay raul, s sriram, gyanendra pandey, vijay dahiya..hell India gave out National team caps like candies in halloween night.. still cant fathom why the hell Amol Mazumder missed out

Pankaj dharmani just played one game for India, came to bat in slog overs. Don't know why he played just one game. He was one of the best domestic performers, should have got more chances.

13 hours ago, neel roy said:

Great post.. couldnt stop laughing.. i remember i had sleepless nights before india played SL. We used to call him a butcher.. there was conspiracy theories that he had a steel plate inside his bat..3 innings of his i remember very well

1. Group league 1996 against India

2. Qtr final against England

3. Asia cup 2008 even in that old age

he absolutely ended the contest in first two matches.. ended odi careet of Artherton Prabhakar.. such brutal hitting.. people said why cant Indian moms produce a jayasurya lol.. 

how can you forget the sharjah final where he scored 183 and murali got his best figures ever in odis that game? we were in a strong position at one stage in that first innings before it went pear shaped. i remember an asia cup final we lost too where we couldn't chase a modest total. we didn't reverse this trend until 2009 or so where we started beating them in their own den.

Not in the same time period but I can't forget my excitement and anticipation when Robin Singh (1989) was selected to the team.

He's West Indian, pancho!  (The more sophisticated among us said he's Trinidadian, pancho!)

We all thought we'd recruited a world beating combination of Clive Lloyd and Malcolm Marshall to our team. :((

He didn't do too badly, but those were the days, eh? 

4 hours ago, NameGoesHere said:

Not in the same time period but I can't forget my excitement and anticipation when Robin Singh (1989) was selected to the team.

He's West Indian, pancho!  (The more sophisticated among us said he's Trinidadian, pancho!)

We all thought we'd recruited a world beating combination of Clive Lloyd and Malcolm Marshall to our team. :((

He didn't do too badly, but those were the days, eh? 

and the athleticism of Roger Harper, Who can forget his fielding? Our offside was patrolled by Azhar, Jadeja & Robin Singh.

In that 1997 tour of South Africa he got us some decent runs and helped win a match against Zim (with Heath Streak)  

9 hours ago, diga said:

and the athleticism of Roger Harper, Who can forget his fielding? Our offside was patrolled by Azhar, Jadeja & Robin Singh.

In that 1997 tour of South Africa he got us some decent runs and helped win a match against Zim (with Heath Streak)  

He ll always forever be remembered for his 80 odd in the Independence Cup Final in Dhaka. First time a best of 3 final was hosted outside Australia and at 1-1 going into the 3rd final it was anybody s game which after Pakistan 314 looked a gone game for India. And 314 was the target in 48 overs which even by todays standards looks pretty decent ( cue 1st Odi Ind Eng. 317 was winning score). Then came I still think both Ganguly and Robin Singhs partnership of life time and Kanitkar s slog sweep in near darkness off Saqlain sealed the deal. The thing is to me this win sits right after Wc 1983, 2011, Champions Trophy 2013, World series 1985 and Natwest win. Better than any Asia cup or even Aus tri series 2008 win just because of the enormity of the situation, Pakistan in prime and match conditions.. it was hazy and dark.. football floodlights.. and to top it all do you all remember who the commentator was who lavished praise on Gangulys strokeplay and century.. Mr Greg Chappell.. oh those were the days.. the 90s..

Cricket in the 70s was all Gavaskar, in the 80s was Kapil Dev and Gavaskar, and Cricket in the 90s was all Sachin and that's it. The transformation started with the Kolkata test where Laxman scored 281. And it has taken 20 years for the Indian team to get here. Chappelli wrote a piece recently wondering if India will become a dynasty like WI or Aus in their heydeys. We will see. I think this WTC, England tour and the SA tour following it will tell us.

Edited by DeepSpace
4 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

I have never seen anything like that. 

I saw the match and believe me India bowled well.. till 30th over they were in top woth lanka 125 odd for 4. Then Jaysurya upped the ante and thrashed everything right left centre. His mishits became six. Everybody now knows courtesy IPL how small Sharjah is..maverick batsman he was..

Do you remember?

Do Indian fans of a certain generation recall the years of trauma of being shown up by Sri Lanka?  

It was as if our collective egos were put inside a washing machine, drowned in a maelstrom, and hung out to dry. 

For decades Indian fans mostly thought of Lankan cricket with casual condescension, if not contempt.   Compete with us?  Hell not the 'little' Sri Lankans, not against big brother India.  Then came the 96 world cup - the game in Delhi when Jaya and Kalu took us to the cleaners.  I refused to believe the evidence of my eyes.   This couldn't be happening.   Then the semi finals in Calcutta when they beat us again.

Then the very next year Sri Lanka scored 952 against us in a Test game.  Just wouldn't get out.. I felt like banging my head against a wall.  How could this happen?  Sri Lanka?  My god!   

It was like someone took a dump outside your door and then proceeded to throw faeces inside your living room.  HOW WAS IT POSSIBLE?

Then games like the one linked in the above post (2000 Sharjah finals).  WTF?

One ungracious, unwilling part of me has never accepted the Lankans' rise as a cricket power.  That is why 2011 WC was so sweet.

That is why even today I find a savage pleasure, sometimes bordering on active hostility, when I read of the declines of SL cricket.

So basically, I'm the guy who keeps saying "How can she slap" at Sri Lankan cricket. 

Edited by NameGoesHere