Is Vijay Shankar one of the worst all-rounder to have played for India?

He can't bowl, can't bat, gets injured all the time, probably an average fielder too.

He reminds me of Stuart Binny but atleast Binny has ran through Bangladesh once long back while Vijay almost costed them the Nidahas trophy before DK came with blinder knock to save him.

I think SRH's best bet this year is to hope that he gets injured although the problem for them is his replacement is no better in Kedhar Jadhav :phehe:. So, not much choices there.

Discuss!

Edited by Majestic

Shankar is yards better than Doobi.

Shankar is a batsman who bowls a bit, and a decent batsman for longer formats.  T20 is his worst format.  

The sheer scarcity of 'pace' bowling allrounders and the resulting high valuation put on players of this type by T20 teams, is why these 2 get high level opportunities.

Comparing Shankar to Doobi is an insult IMHO.

6 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Which game was that? Can't really recall. Dube is even more trash.

Shankar took two wickets in the last over to bowl out Australia.. Some bilateral played in Nagpur or Pune.. Also, got wickets against Pak in the WC when Bhuvi was injured.. And played some decent 30s, 40s knocks.. He is an average bat in ODIs, but shyte in T20s

Dube is absolute shyte across all formats.. His only claim to fame is some sixes he hit in Maharashtra Premier League.

3 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

If Shankar gets to bat at no.3 regularly, he ll do a better job than Pandey. However, he is not your quintessential T20 batsman but he is not the worst.

I doubt about that though. Pandey is a selfish stat booster but Vijay looks similar too.

16 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

Also, got wickets against Pak in the WC when Bhuvi was injured..

Shankar getting that legbefore in that game, made me laugh my ass off.  It was fitting that a crap filler bowler like him was good enough to knock over a greenbro in a crunch game.  proper lol-wa.  Enjoyed that.

t20 isnt his format and about his quality go watch his knock when he batted with rayudu in Nz and Kohli against Aus...was in really good control unluckily got run out both times that to the unlucky one. After that he was made to hardik role which isnt his forte...in Wc failed in 2 games... 2 games are nothing in that also took wkts when bhuvi got injured. 

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

Shankar getting that legbefore in that game, made me laugh my ass off.  It was fitting that a crap filler bowler like him was good enough to knock over a greenbro in a crunch game.  proper lol-wa.  Enjoyed that.

I think he got 2. I believe between him and Hardik they got Imam, Malik,Hafeez and Sarfaraz. May not sound much but that’s The Who’s who of Pak batting for the last 10-15 years probably barring Imam.

3 hours ago, Majestic said:

Which game was that? Can't really recall. Dube is even more trash.

He had to defend like 7 or something against stoinis in the last over. Cleaned him up. Also in the world cup against Pakistan once India lost a bowler he bowled the last few balls of the over and got rid of imam ul haq i think.  He is average. Definitely not the worst. Dubey is the worst.

he is much better suited to tests and odi. he is not cut out for t20. doobi is better in t20 i would say. 

shankar is actually quite good in red ball. its another one of those shardul moments and it will take a while for people to realize that he is actually a solid player. trust me. i have seen him play for india A. he is good in red ball. 

10 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

t20 isnt his format and about his quality go watch his knock when he batted with rayudu in Nz and Kohli against Aus...was in really good control unluckily got run out both times that to the unlucky one. After that he was made to hardik role which isnt his forte...in Wc failed in 2 games... 2 games are nothing in that also took wkts when bhuvi got injured. 

Yeah that innings in NZ was special in those conditions, unfortunately cut short by that run out.