Have a problem when people call Ravichandran Ashwin all-time great: Sanjay Manjrekar

"When people start talking about him as being one of the all-time greats of the game then I have a few problems. One basic problem I have with Ashwin is that when you look at SENA (South Africa, England, New Zealand and Australia) countries, Ashwin doesn't have a single five-wicket haul there," Manjrekar told cricinfo.com.

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/news/have-a-problem-when-people-call-ravichandran-ashwin-all-time-great-sanjay-manjrekar/amp_articleshow/83277815.cms

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Personally don't rate Ashwin as ATG, he is a country great for now and depending on how he ends his career he can go to the next level. For me ATG tier will be Sachin, Kallis, Sanga, Warne, McGrath, Steyn...those elite guys. Don't think a single Indian bowler has reached a level where the ATG status is undisputed. Bumrah may be the first (and safest bet) if he can get around 250 test wickets. 

No issue if he doesn't rate someone, but same guy will start rating every random lallu panju from Pakistan as ATG. And not just that, who can forget this gem? Treat him as equivalent of Haris Tauqir among ex-players. 

Edited by Gollum

Manju strikes..  England & NZ are doomed now:phehe:

I can see why Manju doesn't rates him an ATG though.  Joburg 2013  Southampton 2014 & 2018 & Centurion 2018 are all those games where we needed Ashwin. 

I am sure Ashwin will get at least a couple of 5 for in SENA before retirement at least looking at how he bowled in Australia but he needs to stay fit though. 

Edited by Lone Wolf
21 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Joburg 2013  Southampton 2014 & 2018 & Centurion 2018

Didn't play that match, Jaddu was the lone spinner. 

Centurion 2018, dropped catches cost us the match, we dropped 10 in just that one test. 

6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Didn't play that match, Jaddu was the lone spinner. 

Centurion 2018, dropped catches cost us the match, we dropped 10 in just that one test. 

Oh yea confused 2014 one with some other game.  Centurion 2018 actually conditions were suitable for him..  He was spinning the ball too but he lost his rhythm as soon as he was attacked.  That game was actually the precursor to what again happened in Rose bowl 2018 where he just wasn't able to hit rough.  A potential 5 for gone begging. 

But I believe Ashwin 2.0 will turn it around this time

Edited by Lone Wolf
Just now, Lone Wolf said:

Oh yea confused 2014 one with some other game.  Centurion 2018 actually conditions were actually suitable for him..  He was spinning the ball too but he lost his rhythm as soon as he was attacked.  That game was actually the precursor to what again happened in Rose bowl 2018 where he just wasn't able to hit rough.  A potential 5 for gone begging. 

I think he could have had a 7fer or 8fer in 1st innings in Centurion if catches had been held. 

Rose Bowl 2018 was a shame, he shouldn't even have played that match since his fitness was suspect. Kohli (or Shastri?) in PC after T3 said the same yet he was played, we should have played Jaddu in that match. 

Don't care about 100s or 5fers. A clutch 70/80 or momentum changing 3fer/4fer can win us a match, too much obsession over milestones. 

We saw that in Australia where so many 50s, 4fers, 3fers helped us get over the line. Why just 50s? I would rate those 2 knocks by Vihari and Ashwin above many individual 200s, Pant's 89* was bigger than a 300....context matters. 

Edited by Gollum
1 minute ago, Gollum said:

I think he could have had a 7fer or 8fer in 1st innings in Centurion if catches had been held. 

Rose Bowl 2018 was a shame, he shouldn't even have played that match since his fitness was suspect. Kohli (or Shastri?) in PC after T3 said the same yet he was played, we should have played Jaddu in that match. 

I think the way he bowled in Three tests in Aus it showed that he can bowl well over a course of the series.  The spell in MCG was no less than a 5for where he snapped Marnus & Smith in a single burst.  This tour has given him a lot of confidence & it reflected in his recent batting resurgence as well.  I am very optimistic this time about Ashwin's all round version in England. 

3 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

I think the way he bowled in Three tests in Aus it showed that he can bowl well over a course of the series.  The spell in MCG was no less than a 5for where he snapped Marnus & Smith in a single burst.  This tour has given him a lot of confidence & it reflected in his recent batting resurgence as well.  I am very optimistic this time about Ashwin's all round version in England. 

Hope we play both Jaddu and Ashwin in at least 4 out of the 6 tests this time, pretty sure we won't see all tests played on green mambas. About time we played to our strengths on normal overseas pitches, if that means playing the spin duo go ahead, both complement each other when bowling in tandem and this will also give us batting depth.

Edited by Gollum
2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Hope we play both Jaddu and Ashwin in at least 4 out of the 6 tests this time, pretty sure we won't see all tests played on green mambas. About time we played to our strengths on normal overseas pitches, if that means playing the spin duo go ahead, both complement each other when bowling in tandem and this will also give us batting depth.

Except Trent Bridge & Lords I am not expecting a green seamer anywhere.  3rd test is in Leeds & that has flattened out over the years..  Over head conditions will play a role though. 

We don't really have a swing bowler who can exploits those conditions though, but more importantly has better output than any of the two over the course of 4 innings! Remember these two can make in impact in 4 innings, Jadeja as a fielder even more so, thus unless it's like Joburg 2017 I expect them to play all 6 tests barring fitness issues!