Raina- "If MS Dhoni doesn't play next IPL then I will also not play from next IPL season

5 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

He knows no one else will give him a spot , but this is stupid

he's still better than likes of Pandey,Dube and other fringe Indian players.Will be picked if hes released

but looks like he even eats only when Dhoni eats

3 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

This is like my 3 year old kid saying "I will go to the park only if my neighbour friend also comes"

Grow a pair and make your own decision, Raina

guy even announced his retirement like that

He's still 34,might have made a comeback if worked hard

I always felt if Ratna had tried to come out of Dhoni's shadow after the 2013 CT, he could have been a very good IPL captain and would have had a longer and more fulfilling LOI career. He was an excellent captain for UP when he led them. But never got to lead a side on a full time basis.

Not sure why he was content being the number 2 to Dhoni at CSK.

12 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

I always felt if Ratna had tried to come out of Dhoni's shadow after the 2013 CT, he could have been a very good IPL captain and would have had a longer and more fulfilling LOI career. He was an excellent captain for UP when he led them. But never got to lead a side on a full time basis.

Not sure why he was content being the number 2 to Dhoni at CSK.

Because Raina like most clutch players became hit and miss after they hit a certain peak. More misses than hits as career progresses.  You can’t have players like that as leaders. Had he moved away from the CSK eco system he would have faded away a lot sooner: 

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

he lost his hunger long back that to at an age players are suppose to hit their peak. His own coach said that in public that he has become non serious 

I think the day dhoni gave up on him he gave up on himself. 

He became fat and unfit. Also never showed the hunger to improve. He never improved on the short ball problem and in fact let it get to him. All his  peers  who succeeded improved with every season be it Kohli, Rohit or even Pujara. Pujara actually still can’t play bounce and short ball but he had the resolve to take it on the body and survive till bowlers bowl in his zone.

5 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

he lost his hunger long back that to at an age players are suppose to hit their peak. His own coach said that in public that he has become non serious 

I think the day dhoni gave up on him he gave up on himself. 

Yes, he comes across as someone who is content with his life & career. I think that is the case because deep down he knows he has overachieved & is ready to enjoy some family time & dabble into cricket coaching etc 

Just now, maniac said:

He never improved on the short ball problem

he never got off the fear of short of ball and its anticipation even led to a problem against yorkers as well. 

This is what separates players  in the end. The guy was equally touted to be next big thing with Rohit n Kohli , even a lesser talented jadeja just kept improving.. 

The best coaches and captains  are usually the ones with hunger and with the most to prove. Bharat Arun and T A Shekhar are the best coaches in the country that changed Indias bowling fortunes.Lal Chand Rajput is one of the most underrated coaches in the country, look at the kind of players he has with Zimbabwe and still manages to once in a while beat or compete with mid- low tier teams like Bangladesh,WI,SL and Pakistan.

Even a crazy guy like Yograj made Yuvraj (no pun intended) into a diamond because of the politics he might have faced in cricket.

I am so thankful that he faded away before he became a LoI captain and I shudder if he becomes a coach. He is at best yes man and should be kept away from such roles.

Having said that he is a cheerful and extremely likeable guy. He will make a perfect administrator as he can communicate with everyone and is pretty much non controversial.  Commentary well I haven’t seen anything analytical from him ever so not sure there.

32 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Yes, he comes across as someone who is content with his life & career. I think that is the case because deep down he knows he has overachieved & is ready to enjoy some family time & dabble into cricket coaching etc 

raina, irfan, yusuf, chawla, munaf, RP, sree, bhajji all of them got comfortable when IPL came. The bench strength wasnt as high at that time to so they were retained or bought most times. Whereas u guys like mishra, rayudu, nehra kept working hard n hence did make comebacks also.

Now with more bench strength IPL is becoming ruthless. so such cases wont or rarely happen now