NZ I can understand, ECB? They are snakes.

sandeep

the Foreign Office has not changed their travel advice about visiting Pakistan in light of New Zealand's decision to abandon their own tour. ESPNcricinfo also understands that the advice from the ECB's own security experts (ESI Risk) was unchanged. That is to say, they believed that, with the current protocols in place - the same protocols that allowed the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to visit Pakistan not so long ago - it was safe to travel. It is also understood the British High Commission was satisfied with the plans. This is categorically not a case where security advice has compelled the ECB to cancel.

To be fair to the ECB, their statement doesn't even pretend this is the case. Instead, they cite the anxiety such a trip could provoke in players who have already spent many months living in a controlled environment.

Maybe at first glance that seems reasonable. Certainly, players are jaded by the time in bubbles. And yes, it might be expected individuals would be allowed the opportunity to skip the tour if any aspect of it made them uncomfortable.

But let's remember: this was more city-break than tour. It was scheduled to last, in total, four days. It involved one day of quarantine and two T20Is on consecutive days. It was two days shorter than the quarantine period required for players returning to the UAE to complete the IPL.

Pakistan, it is understood, had also offered to move the matches to Lahore and play them behind closed doors. England could surely have found 14 players who were prepared to tour; plenty more have visited Pakistan to play in the PSL, after all.

I understand some of us have milked the last week for a ton of schaudenfraude, but to be honest, the ECB cancellation here - of a quick 4 days, is not really justifiable on merit. 

Does Pakistan need to introspect on its security situation and political choices it has made on 'jihad'? sure.  But if you put that aside, the ECB have definitely not done right by them.

This after using them like a baby wipe to get the PCB votes in the ICC for the voting "restructure" a couple of years ago.  I still remember a delirious celebratory tweet by then PCB Chariman Najam Sethi - 'India loses'.  Giles Clarke played PCB like a fool, by sending an international "ICC XI" for a cricket match at the time.  

In spite of all the chaos in AfPak, and genuine security concerns - a short 4 day trip could have been managed.  Whatever the delusions of the greenbros regarding their culpability for the mess they find themselves in, the ECB has *ked them over.  Proper *ked. 

And the ironic thing is, most of them will be angrier at the kiwis than at the ECB.

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

I understand some of us have milked the last week for a ton of schaudenfraude, but to be honest, the ECB cancellation here - of a quick 4 days, is not really justifiable on merit. 

Does Pakistan need to introspect on its security situation and political choices it has made on 'jihad'? sure.  But if you put that aside, the ECB have definitely not done right by them.

This after using them like a baby wipe to get the PCB votes in the ICC for the voting "restructure" a couple of years ago.  I still remember a delirious celebratory tweet by then PCB Chariman Najam Sethi - 'India loses'.  Giles Clarke played PCB like a fool, by sending an international "ICC XI" for a cricket match at the time.  

In spite of all the chaos in AfPak, and genuine security concerns - a short 4 day trip could have been managed.  Whatever the delusions of the greenbros regarding their culpability for the mess they find themselves in, the ECB has *ked them over.  Proper *ked. 

And the ironic thing is, most of them will be angrier at the kiwis than at the ECB.

British have always had dual standards.  

The good thing is India now has the stature and clout to retaliate. They tried to indulge in vaccine "racism" but are now backing down after India warned of retaliatory tit for tat measures.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/working-with-india-says-the-uk-on-recognising-covishield-vaccine-certificate-101632156727527.html

We live in a world where geopolitics is based on law of the jungle.

The day we become a $10 Trillion economy, the entire Europe will bend over backwards to accommodate whatever we dictate.

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

In this environment, it is impossible to think of a high profile gora team in Pakistan. It seems like they are concerned a bit more, but it is safer for whites to be out of a terror filled situation. 

Nah I don't think its really about security. The Anglosphere is retaliating against Pak for supporting Taliban. This is just the beginning, I won't be surprised if US goes into full sanction mode citing some excuse

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

In this environment, it is impossible to think of a high profile gora team in Pakistan. It seems like they are concerned a bit more, but it is safer for whites to be out of a terror filled situation. 

That's the 'reason'.  And a valid one at that.

But reality is that ECB could easily have put together a squad of willing 14-15 players to go play in Pakistan for four days.  There's no doubt there.

It actually smells quite fishy.  The path of least resistance would have been to send a 'b' team of replacements while resting the major stars.  PCB would made some protest noises but they would have to be grateful to ECB for not cancelling.  

Honestly speaking, as hilarious as I find the greenbro paranoia about "conspiracies", the ECB cancellation doesn't make much sense to me.  The only thing I can think of, is that the Kiwi "pull-out" asked a question to the ECB middle management, and they took the easy way out from a personal responsibility aspect.  Even though the security situation was manageable, it was still risky - and even though the ECB had committed to the tour (pre-taliban winning in AfPak), this gave the cowardly suits a chance to wash their hands off.  

All in all, I think ECB have managed to pull off a double blunder here - used up some of the leverage on an important ICC vote (PCB), pissed them off, and copped criticism from cricket media and fraternity at the same time.  

This reminds me of the history leading up to the first ODI World Cup held outside of England. 

The politics and naked prejudice that the 'Asian' cricket boards had to fight against.  Back then the PCB and BCCI joined forces to bring change and progress to Cricket.

In an alternate universe, if PakMil hadn't poisoned the region with 30+ years of criminal terrorism, it would have been nice to see solidarity of the kind that was shown to Sri Lanka in the 1996 WC.  

But until PakMil and its jihad monster is eunuched - impossible for any sane rational Indian to 'support' Pakistan.  Conscience cannot allow it, neither can morality.  Its sad really.  I do feel a twinge of sympathy for them, not sure why.

From Indian pov PCB is a local level gunda, like Tuco Salamanca. Crazy but can be easily outmaneuvered. No long term planning, can't keep emotions in check, too many blunders. 

ECB is Gus Fring, biggest villain in the story but so polished/refined, very patient with long term plans in place yet subtle so they escape scrutiny. Even here they screwed over PCB much harder than NZC, guess who Pakistanis are abusing atm.

English didn't rule over quarter of the world for 2 centuries just like that. USA is just a legacy continuation of Great Britain. 

ECB have BCCI firmly underneath their boots in ICC (snake Manohar modern day Mir Jafar) but the general impression is that BCCI=ICC. **************

Edited by sandeep
Mod note: Please avoid abuse against ethnicity etc.
16 minutes ago, sandeep said:

This reminds me of the history leading up to the first ODI World Cup held outside of England. 

The politics and naked prejudice that the 'Asian' cricket boards had to fight against.  Back then the PCB and BCCI joined forces to bring change and progress to Cricket.

In an alternate universe, if PakMil hadn't poisoned the region with 30+ years of criminal terrorism, it would have been nice to see solidarity of the kind that was shown to Sri Lanka in the 1996 WC.  

But until PakMil and its jihad monster is eunuched - impossible for any sane rational Indian to 'support' Pakistan.  Conscience cannot allow it, neither can morality.  Its sad really.  I do feel a twinge of sympathy for them, not sure why.

Some time in the near future, an all out war between BCCI and ECB is inevitable. ECB is our real enemy, not PCB.

Why take the moral high ground for a cricket board whose chairman just yesterday indirectly called us an enemy team?

Any institution or individual who does something that harms cricket in Pakistan is a friend irrespective of their bilateral relations with us. Let their arrogance be pricked once and for all. would love to see Pak Government plead to our government and the BCCI to save their cricket. Want to see that evil smirk on Taliban Khan's erased forever. 

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Some time in the near future

come on now - the war has been playing out for half a decade.  Where have you been?

ECB has already "won" round 1.  While BCCI was stuck in the supreme court 'lodha' mess, They used Shashank "Mir jaffer" Manohar to completely re-structure the ICC voting constitution and destroyed BCCI's domination of the ICC.  Earlier voting structure  meant BCCI, by pulling in SL, Zimbabwe, and Windies in its corner, with occasional support by toygers, could stop any and all ICC moves that were aimed at exploiting Indian market against BCCI wishes.  But the new voting structure has pushed that deadlock capacity to the history books.  There are what, 15 votes? with even the ICC "administration" getting one vote, additional votes for European cricket 'nations' like Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands - all of which are completely financially dependent on ECB and hence their vote is as good as ECB's.  

I fully expect BCCI to pull off an "Return of the King" in the ICC boardroom - but this is more than a few years away.  For now, ECB and its "admin" stooges hold sway at the ICC.

44 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

British have always had dual standards.  

The good thing is India now has the stature and clout to retaliate. They tried to indulge in vaccine "racism" but are now backing down after India warned of retaliatory tit for tat measures.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/working-with-india-says-the-uk-on-recognising-covishield-vaccine-certificate-101632156727527.html

We live in a world where geopolitics is based on law of the jungle.

The day we become a $10 Trillion economy, the entire Europe will bend over backwards to accommodate whatever we dictate.

We will be there soon. 5 trillion wasnt an unrealistic target. 

2 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Why take the moral high ground for a cricket board whose chairman just yesterday indirectly called us an enemy team?

Any institution or individual who does something that harms cricket in Pakistan is a friend irrespective of their bilateral relations with us. Let their arrogance be pricked once and for all. would love to see Pak Government plead to our government and the BCCI to save their cricket. Want to see that evil smirk on Taliban Khan's erased forever. 

who's taking "moral high ground"?

Just because Pakistani institutions are hostile, doesn't mean we should gloss over the venality of the ECB.  

Greenbros are going to greenbro, but just like in geopolitics its the Chinese Communist Party that's the greater threat to India, and needs planning and preparation to combat it successfully - ECB is the bigger challenge for BCCI.   Historically speaking, in the world of Cricket administration, PCB has been more of an ally than a rival.  That's just fact.  

This doesn't mean I'm advocating "brotherhood" or forgiveness for PCB.  I'm all for using cricket as a stick and carrot to sustain pressure on Pakistan until it changes its policies on terrorism - permanently.  But lets keep our perspective objective and rational  - we can be ruthless - but no need to get overly carried away on emotion. 

In the long term, India can benefit by pulling Pakistan cricket back into its orbit.  

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

who's taking "moral high ground"?

Just because Pakistani institutions are hostile, doesn't mean we should gloss over the venality of the ECB.  

Greenbros are going to greenbro, but just like in geopolitics its the Chinese Communist Party that's the greater threat to India, and needs planning and preparation to combat it successfully - ECB is the bigger challenge for BCCI.   Historically speaking, in the world of Cricket administration, PCB has been more of an ally than a rival.  That's just fact.  

This doesn't mean I'm advocating "brotherhood" or forgiveness for PCB.  I'm all for using cricket as a stick and carrot to sustain pressure on Pakistan until it changes its policies on terrorism - permanently.  But lets keep our perspective objective and rational  - we can be ruthless - but no need to get overly carried away on emotion. 

In the long term, India can benefit by pulling Pakistan cricket back into its orbit.  

naah. ind's economy will be double of what it is now by early 2030s. no more big 3 then. only big 1.

8 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Any institution or individual who does something that harms cricket in Pakistan is a friend irrespective of their bilateral relations with us.

China is looting Pakistanis with screwed up "loans" that charge criminally high rates of interest.  

Does that make them our "friend"?

37 minutes ago, sandeep said:

BCCI didnt have money to host world cup till reliance came to rescue. PCB had its challenges but they did their part. Yes it was a joint effort. 

3 minutes ago, Banton said:

India should do a tour to pakistan.

There's about 50 proven criminal terrorists in Pakistan - once they are either killed or sentenced to life imprisonment in actual jails.  Yes. 

This will take about a decade or so.  If Pakistani greenbros get their act together and manage to seize actual azaadi from their corrupt jernail overlords.  

Then it will happen.

I am waiting for that day.

pakistan is actually real dumb and losing cause of their ego and military.

if pakistan accept loc as international border and stop mischief and make peace with india they get:

1. actors and musicians get access to bollywood which is 50x more lucrative

2. cricketers get access to bilateral series and ipl

3. get access to colleges/jobs which are way better than pakistan's.

4. less expenditure on military etc.

just look at bangladesh and what peace and friendly relations with india has got it.

but pakistan has delusions of parity with india and thus overspend on military and lose on everything else. their economy is less than maharashtra and tamil nadu's. at par with up's.

can you imagine canada taking on the usa or indonesia on china? greece on germany? that's the differential level but still they in their minds believe them to be our equals and thus make them even weaker.