Did you really like the India - Pakistan rivalry ?

MechEng

All sports rivalries have exceptional competition between teams and a healthy sense of camaraderie, I cannot say the same for India Pakistan rivalry.

India and Pakistan history has been mired with bloodshed, hatred and conspiracy theories. With the amount of filth Pakistanis have been indoctrinated against India or specifically Hindus/Jews kind of makes me repel. This is definitely not what a healthy sports rivalry looks like.

Ashes, West Indies vs Australia in earlier days and South Africa vs Australia or England were good examples of healthy rivalries. Play hard on the ground and relax with drinks and good food off the ground. You won't see Andrew Flintoff insinuating Aussies of their convict heritage or vice versa from Aussies.

Forget defeating Pakistan, even playing them makes me uncomfortable.

It's more than a rivalry - it's a proxy war. When the two sides get together each side wants the other to thrash the other ... I always get a satisfaction of seeing Pak lose. Same for Pak vs India - like the 2017 CT final. That was tough viewing.

A rivalry is usually about some sporting aspect. In cricket, between India and Pak, it's only about the result. A whole new sport in cricket got acceptance in India only after the 2007 WC final. 

40 minutes ago, Norman said:

The only reason why there's even a semblance of 'rivalry' between the two sides these days is because of the lack of regular bilaterals. 

If we played them for 3 Tests , 3 odis and 3 T20s every 18 months , we wouldn't have had much of a rivalry left with the massive gulf between the two sides. 

I can see them snatch one win in odi. 2-1 India though. India 3 0 t20. 

Tests should be a blow-out. 3 0 in India. 

In Pakistan, it would be interesting. Going with 2-0 India. One draw. 

4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Undeniable that its missing the 'juice' now that Pakistan is such a mediocre team.

IF India ends up losing the odd game to them, you just know its a fluke.  Doesn't sting that much.

But then Pak fans could say same about 90s games.

Irrespective of sides,the match is a charged and hyped one. CT 17 did hurt badly.

For Pakistanis an India-Pak encounter is like war, it means so much to them, they start taking about it a year in advance. Their chairmans, journalists, officials, public,ministers are all caught up in the hysteria. They come up with irritating analysis like why are India not scared of us anymore? 

Then our fans get triggered and start posting these clips. Some start mocking ,some get irritated and riled up, some are indifferent but it does get a reaction.

Then everyone tunes in for bragging rights.

The games themselves are of very low quality. Sure there are some close games but we have such close nail biting games with Bangladesh and Zimbabwe too, doesn’t mean we need to get hyped up. 

So from a cricket perspective doesn’t matter but we are humans and when we get triggered/irritated/needled, we do care. You can act indifferent on surface but a loss does hurt and a win does bring in extreme euphoria. Applicable to both sides.

So to conclude yes it will matter till cricket is a big deal in both countries and there are geo-political issues. In the mid 90’s or early 2000’s I stopped caring for it when there was a ind-pak match/series every other week.

Edited by maniac
4 minutes ago, maniac said:

For Pakistanis an India-Pak encounter is like war, it means so much to them, they start taking about it a year in advance. Their chairmans, journalists, officials, public,ministers are all caught up in the hysteria. They come up with irritating analysis like why are India not scared of us anymore? 

Then our fans get triggered and start posting these clips. Some start mocking ,some get irritated and riled up, some are indifferent but it does get a reaction.

Then everyone tunes in for bragging rights.

The games themselves are of very low quality. Sure there are some close games but we have such close nail biting games with Bangladesh and Zimbabwe too, doesn’t mean we need to get hyped up. 

So from a cricket perspective doesn’t matter but we are humans and when we get triggered/irritated/needled, we do care. You can act indifferent on surface but a loss does hurt and a win does bring in extreme euphoria. Applicable to both sides.

So to conclude yes it will matter till cricket is a big deal in both countries and there are geo-political issues. In the mid 90’s or early 2000’s I stopped caring for it when there was a ind-pak match/series every other week.

yes me too. When the games are rarer,it becomes hyped.

It is no rivalry.  It is all about gloating. You can't beat india ( war, Technology, economics)  in anywhere and there is decent change in cricket to beat any team that is all.  Beating on intangible aspects like talent, passion, bravery, fart smells like arabian ittar  are no sale in this era, it was hot commodity in 90s. So beating here and there in last two decades keep them going. 

Cricketing wise I don’t enjoy the matches as they are very one sided. They are on par with teams like sl and wi against whom I don’t even watch matches.

My enjoyment arises from the depression and existential crisis when their delusions are shattered again and again. Highlight for me is trawling their social media after a match for enjoyment.

Cricketing wise loi games against England, nz and aus and away tests against the same guys are very enjoyable (even the occasional home test).

6 hours ago, MechEng said:

All sports rivalries have exceptional competition between teams and a healthy sense of camaraderie, I cannot say the same for India Pakistan rivalry.

India and Pakistan history has been mired with bloodshed, hatred and conspiracy theories. With the amount of filth Pakistanis have been indoctrinated against India or specifically Hindus/Jews kind of makes me repel. This is definitely not what a healthy sports rivalry looks like.

Ashes, West Indies vs Australia in earlier days and South Africa vs Australia or England were good examples of healthy rivalries. Play hard on the ground and relax with drinks and good food off the ground. You won't see Andrew Flintoff insinuating Aussies of their convict heritage or vice versa from Aussies.

Forget defeating Pakistan, even playing them makes me uncomfortable.

How do you find India-Bangladesh rivalry?