Strategy for KKR for the final, what would you do if you were McCullum/Morgan?

Chakdephatte

KKR are having a less than 10% chance of winning the final. Their middle order can choke even when chasing 14 off the last three overs. If I were McCullum, I would adopt the following strategies-

1. For bowlers- Try to choke Ruturaj/Faf with Ferguson. Both of these wouldn't be worried about spin, even Mavi's pace is not enough for them. Problem is, Ruturaj may play out the first six overs and then start hitting anytime. For that, they have Narine and Chakarborty, usually economical. They may bring Prasidh in place of Mavi as a last resort. He is erratic, so he should be clearly instructed not to experiment and follow a plan, bounce them out. Morgan is good in rotating bowlers in middle overs, batting is my major worry.

2. For Batsmen - They have three and a half in form batsmen. They have to play most of the balls. I will make sure one of them stays there till the death overs, and one of Morgan/KKD/Russell fires( all of them cannot). The only twist is, he is not Gill. Among Gill, Rana, Tripathi, and Venky Iyer, only Iyer has that power game to play in death overs. I will open with Gill and Tripathi, they will target 45 for no loss in powerplay. If successful, Tripathi will continue attacking, Gill will go with the feel. After a wicket, I will send Rana. If another wicket falls, I will send Russell, who performs well when he comes earlier. If two quick wickets fall, the plan will backfire, but then it is an IPL final, and the chances of their win are almost nil even without it. Replace Russell with Shakib and it's still the same.

By the way, Russell is available if you don't know already.

Say what, @Lord, @Ankit_sharma03, @QuarantineTormentino.

Edited by Chakdephatte

• 1st ill get prasidh in n mavi out, need a bowler to hit the deck hard against CSK
  • Rahul tripathi i feel can be the match winner in this game for KKR if they win, Nitish rana can be another one as i dnt see any CSK bowler troubling him unless he is in against a moving ball
  • Attack Rutu with short balls and spinners
  • Keep pace for middle overs , have spin mostly at start (u shudnt give moeen , rayudu spinners ...give them pace and if dhoni comes give him narine n varun)
  • Send Russell to bat early so he can get his timing
Edited by Ankit_sharma03

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:
  • 1st ill get prasidh in n mavi out, need a bowler to hit the deck hard against CSK
  • Rahul tripathi i feel can be the match winner in this game for KKR if they win, Nitish rana can be another one as i dnt see any CSK bowler troubling him unless he is in against a moving ball
  • Attack Rutu with short balls and spinners
  • Keep pace for middle overs , have spin mostly at start (u shudnt give moeen , rayudu spinners ...give them pace and if dhoni comes give him narine n varun)
  • Send Russell to bat early so he can get his timing

More or less the same I have written above. Only difference is, I will send Tripathi to open.

KKR are the favourites in the match. Especially while chasing. They haven't lost a match in UAE while chasing. They have too many x factor and explosive players to breakthrough in the final.

CSK are outmatched. KKR have never lost a final and they have beaten CSK in finals before as well. 

3 hours ago, Chakdephatte said:

KKR are having a less than 10% chance of winning the final. Their middle order can choke even when chasing 14 off the last three overs. If I were McCullum, I would adopt the following strategies-

1. For bowlers- Try to choke Ruturaj/Faf with Ferguson. Both of these wouldn't be worried about spin, even Mavi's pace is not enough for them. Problem is, Ruturaj may play out the first six overs and then start hitting anytime. For that, they have Narine and Chakarborty, usually economical. They may bring Prasidh in place of Mavi as a last resort. He is erratic, so he should be clearly instructed not to experiment and follow a plan, bounce them out. Morgan is good in rotating bowlers in middle overs, batting is my major worry.

2. For Batsmen - They have three and a half in form batsmen. They have to play most of the balls. I will make sure one of them stays there till the death overs, and one of Morgan/KKD/Russell fires( all of them cannot). The only twist is, he is not Gill. Among Gill, Rana, Tripathi, and Venky Iyer, only Iyer has that power game to play in death overs. I will open with Gill and Tripathi, they will target 45 for no loss in powerplay. If successful, Tripathi will continue attacking, Gill will go with the feel. After a wicket, I will send Rana. If another wicket falls, I will send Russell, who performs well when he comes earlier. If two quick wickets fall, the plan will backfire, but then it is an IPL final, and the chances of their win are almost nil even without it. Replace Russell with Shakib and it's still the same.

By the way, Russell is available if you don't know already.

Say what, @Lord, @Ankit_sharma03, @QuarantineTormentino.

No need to replace Mavi, he’s done very well (That too with Prasidh who lost them the game against the very opponents the last time they met). Only change should be Dr. Dre for Shakib if necessary. KKR’s inexperienced Indian core has performed better than the international superstars like Morgan and DK. KKR may have the better momentum, but CSK are a clutch team like MI who more often than not turn up in knockouts so don’t underestimate them. DC did so in the qualifier and everyone saw what happened. CSK have the seasons top performers in Rutu Faf and Jaddu. KKR should just remember that they have a 100%win record in IPL finals and 100% record against CSK in IPL finals :p:

Two big factors: same pitch as the first eliminator, which kept getting better for batting..plus dew has started to settle early in UAE now. 

Their 3 spinner strategy may not work in Dubai. Better to play a half fit Russell (if he is fit to bat) by dropping Shakib and trust Iyer and Rana with 4 overs. If Russell is not fit, pick Steifert to strengthen batting.

Edited by ShoonyaSifar

Bangladesh have now lost both their practice matches vs SL and today vs Ireland.

That joker who is their board president would be fuming with rage and will now most likely ask Shakib to immediately join the BD Squad for main qualifiers starting from 17th. 

Edited by ShoonyaSifar

8 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

1st ill get prasidh in n mavi out, need a bowler to hit the deck hard against CSK

No way should Prasidh replace Mavi, Mavi has finally regained his rhythm, his line and length in last match was immaculate.
Prasidh is a run machine with the worst temperament of all the genuine fast bowlers we have. He will gift CSK free runs.

Edited by speedheat

KKR does not need to do anything different from what has got them into the final. Focus on playing good cricket and execute the plans properly. One thing KKR can improve upon is catching. 

A change here or there can happen based on opposition and/or venue. 

Edited by zen

8 hours ago, nitinbwj said:

You guys have a lot of time to kill over a useless *ing match. :rofl:

I am a DC supporter & even that Qualifier game was like meh..  Who cares:phehe:

I can't get myself engaged with this crap with WT20 about to get started..  I'd even watch the warm up games vs England & Aus with far more interest lmao