Indian team taking the knee for BLM.

sage

Wow! I didn't watch the match but surprised to see this. We didn't do this even at the peak of BLM movement but decide to this out of the blue? 

Have absolutely no issues with the support and the gesture but the timing of it all feels a bit odd. Could well have done this in IPL as well or in the England tests where it would have resonated better. 

Will this be a one off gesture or will we do it in every match?

That moment right there was the turning point of the match for me.

I mean what relevance does this have? I mean I can understand if they were honoring Mandela or something in person or some black sports icon but this is stupid. This game was being played by UAE by brown people, watched by brown people and some white and a  handful of black people  :as many as probably who play the game.

I just liked the Pakistani way of hand on the heart acknowledging a good gesture. That looked way more cooler than our guys who looked like buffoons and posers doing that. That alone probably changed the odds in body language.

Edited by maniac
8 hours ago, New guy said:

Why should a man wear pink to highlight breast cancer?

Because human beings are empathic and have a common cause. 

While your point is right in general, but what purpose does it serve in this case?

When pink is wore by men, it is for raising awareness about breast cancer which is not confined to any continent or country. So, it helps there.

ICC world T20, followed by a dozen countries and mostly watched by fans of teams who are playing. What kind of awareness will it raise in Indian and Pakistani population?

The taking of the knee is the now recognised gesture by players to kick racism targeted at black players out of sport. Remember all the Indian players play on the same side as black players in the IPL.  The gesture isn’t an admission of guilt as some to be thinking. I must admit I was surprised to see it. It came up in the Euros too. The world is on a very right wing trajectory and i think it’s fine.

Nothing against BLM or their cause. But cricket has almost no following in the US other than in the Asian immigrant community, so who cares about the Indian team taking a knee?

I don't remember Indian team honoring the victims of 26/11 in this fashion, nor did they say anything regarding the recent violence in BD or Kashmir. You can't raise your voice for your own people, but you want to act high & mighty, virtue signaling against the situation of African Americans people in US

5 minutes ago, IndianRenegade said:

Nothing against BLM or their cause. But cricket has almost no following in the US other than in the Asian immigrant community, so who cares about the Indian team taking a knee?

I don't remember Indian team honoring the victims of 26/11 in this fashion, nor did they say anything regarding the recent violence in BD or Kashmir. You can't raise your voice for your own people, but you want to act high & mighty, virtue signaling against the situation of African Americans people in US

I thought it was a genuine gesture out of VK. Looks like it was a forced one as pointed above. That makes it even worse that the team was forced to do it.

1 minute ago, IndianRenegade said:

Nothing in the article said they were forced. Team management asked him to something & he did it. As a captain he had no say in it? 

Maybe take back the forced part. But doing it because being asked to is not genuine in any case. I have never seen this team do it before, so I was also surprised.