Rahul Dravid Responds To Queries On Ajinkya Rahane's Form

sage

Asked if Rahane's poor form is a cause for concern for him, Dravid said: "I mean you don't get worried. Of course, you would like more runs from Ajinkya, he would like to score more runs.

"He is a quality player and he has done well for India in the past. He is one of those guys who has quality and experience and it's matter of a game when he would like to turn it around and he knows that and we know that," the legendary batter backed one of his senior players.

https://sports.ndtv.com/india-vs-new-zealand-2021/india-vs-new-zealand-rahul-dravid-responds-to-queries-on-ajinkya-rahanes-form-2629640

While defending Rahane, Dravid says "We haven't decided our playing 11 for next test and it's too early".    I m wondering why did he say that?  Since the Coach has no role in playing 11, he could hv simply said "It's for the selectors to decide what's to be done with Rahane".     Now I m beginning to wonder that coach actually has a big influence while deciding the playing 11.  

24 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

While defending Rahane, Dravid says "We haven't decided our playing 11 for next test and it's too early".    I m wondering why did he say that?  Since the Coach has no role in playing 11, he could hv simply said "It's for the selectors to decide what's to be done with Rahane".     Now I m beginning to wonder that coach actually has a big influence while deciding the playing 11.  

Dont know what you are on about...The team has been selected for 2 tests and playing XI is always selected by coach and captain.

3 minutes ago, urbestfriend said:

playing XI is always selected by coach and captain.

Then what is the role of selectors?    Selectors role is only to select a team for a particular series?    And no role to play while deciding the playing 11 for a particular match?

Edited by Frustrated
3 hours ago, nitinbwj said:

He also defended declaration time. 

What option doe he have. He can't just admit in the media that our fast bowlers has been **** in this match. He can't say that Ishant who is the most glorified pacer has been a bagful of **** for most of his career with an average of 33. He can't say that Umesh is basically a club bowler and who will only bowl well during  specific planetary coordinates.

We can however ask questions if this team management if next Test Ishant plays again instead of Siraj.

I love this forum so much. Brothers, are you guys just young kids or without much exposure to the outside? What is he supposed to say?

"Rahane is averaging 18+ since two years, nobody in the team is now thinking that he should be in the team anymore. I can't put a finger on why he is being selected. Let me drop him permanently."

Incidentally, Kohli actually said "nobody thought he should be in the team" in 2018 and got such a flak, rightfully IMHO. Again, I love you guys, but right now I like Kohli more than you. I threw up a little as I said that, but it is what is. I will miss Kohli until he is back. :(

Edited by sorak
removed extra words
7 hours ago, urbestfriend said:

I dont blame Dravid here...Dravid needs some time before he can drop senior players like Kohli, Rahane, Pujara and Rohit from dropping unless it is insisted by Captain. We know what had happened to Greg Chappel era when he wanted to drop Ganguly...Insecurity within the team may become bigger issue, and seniority culture is inherent to our society.

You are clubbing Rahane/Pujara with Kohli/Rohit. The former should be easy as compared to the latter.