Are we witnessing the rise of Umesh 2.0?

maniac

The guy has been tremendous this season. The only bright spot in the KKR side in terms of bowling. 

I think getting unsold in the first round of the auction followed by emergence of young Indian bowlers trying to stand out by bowling as quick as they can has lit a fire in this man’s belly.

He is bowling his heart out. I think we haven’t seen the last of Umesh.

There might be one last prime run from him before he is done.  

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Batsman too I would say. Anyone better you can think of ?

I’m saying pure bowlers in the context of someone who will bowl 4 overs most days

with that definition I think only D Chahar and Harshal Patel are better batsmen

thakur is not a 4 over bowler most days so not considered

4 hours ago, SeasonedIPLer said:

I’m saying pure bowlers in the context of someone who will bowl 4 overs most days

with that definition I think only D Chahar and Harshal Patel are better batsmen

thakur is not a 4 over bowler most days so not considered

I keep hearing Harshal Patel can bat, but I don't see it. I haven't seen any innings from him. At least Deepak Chahar gave a few batting performances in intl as well as IPL. Harshal Patel I haven't seen anything yet. 

He is a good new bowl bowler but so is Shami. They both are better options than the overrated swing bowler Boobi Kumar.

We need to be a bit more clear with the options that we have. 

New bowl bowler - Shami, Prasidh,  D Chahar, Umesh

Death overs bowler - Bumrah, Harshal, Natrajan, Arshdeep

X-factor bowler - Umran Malik

All situations bowler but blow hot and cold in all departments - Siraj, Avesh

Edited by Majestic

2 hours ago, Majestic said:

He is a good new bowl bowler but so is Shami. They both are better options than the overrated swing bowler Boobi Kumar.

We need to be a bit more clear with the options that we have. 

New bowl bowler - Shami, Prasidh,  D Chahar, Umesh

Death overs bowler - Bumrah, Harshal, Natrajan, Arshdeep

X-factor bowler - Umran Malik

All situations bowler but blow hot and cold in all departments - Siraj, Avesh

Umran will be post PP enforcer. During PP he can leak runs because edges will fly through the gaps.

3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Wankhade

Wankhade

Wankhade 

Umesh in IPL

1. Csk- 2 wkts 20 runs (wankhade)
  2. RCB- 2 wkts 16 runs (dy patil)
  3. Punjab - 4 wkts (wankhade)
  4. Mumbai - 1 wkt (no wankhade)
  5. Dc- 1 wkt for 48 runs (no wankhade)
  6. SRH- No wkts (no wankhade)
  7. RR- no wkts no wankhade
  8. GT- 1/31 (no wankhade)
  9. KKR- 3 wkts (back to wankhade)

He does well at wankhade and that one DY patil was when ball was doing a lot. Another key point is he hasnt shown much in middle n death phase 

8 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Umesh in IPL

He does well at wankhade and that one DY patil was when ball was doing a lot. Another key point is he hasnt shown much in middle n death phase 

This is one aspect we often overlook. With limited venues, season performance can be very misleading. It is hard to take every performance seriously.  In my view  Arshdeep, Natrajan, Umran, Kuldeep performances are worth taking seriously. Rest have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

8 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Umesh in IPL

So he does well in fast bowling conditons. Where is the WT20 this year?

10 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

This is one aspect we often overlook. With limited venues, season performance can be very misleading. It is hard to take every performance seriously.  In my view  Arshdeep, Natrajan, Umran, Kuldeep performances are worth taking seriously. Rest have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Arshdeep hasn't done much this season.

On 4/29/2022 at 2:44 AM, express bowling said:

Umesh will flatter to deceive in international cricket.

He loses intensity on more occasions than not.

Hey man you know I like your posts. This expression 'flatter to deceive" is cliche and often used incorrectly. It does not exactly translate to what you really mean to say here which is umesh will promise a lot of fail to deliver whne it matters most ( which I fear too.). Flatter inherently means an element of lie( But umesh is actually doing well) and deceive inherently means a dishonesty when failing ( umesh in the past failed internationally due to lack of focus not due to malicious attitude or fixing etc) so yeah usage of flatter to deceive is just a poor cliche which you are unknowingly using, makes one sound unintelligent since many use it uninteligently. Sorry again for a critical post I have lots of respect for you. 

On 4/30/2022 at 8:49 PM, Vilander said:

Hey man you know I like your posts. This expression 'flatter to deceive" is cliche and often used incorrectly. It does not exactly translate to what you really mean to say here which is umesh will promise a lot of fail to deliver whne it matters most ( which I fear too.). Flatter inherently means an element of lie( But umesh is actually doing well) and deceive inherently means a dishonesty when failing ( umesh in the past failed internationally due to lack of focus not due to malicious attitude or fixing etc) so yeah usage of flatter to deceive is just a poor cliche which you are unknowingly using, makes one sound unintelligent since many use it uninteligently. Sorry again for a critical post I have lots of respect for you. 

It maybe a cliche but the phrase is also an idiom.

The meanings conveyed by idioms are often very different from what the individual words in the phrase mean.

And idioms usually derive their meaning from usage.

This phrase , "  flatter to deceive " had a more literal meaning in older English. But with usage, a more non-literal and figuritative meaning has emerged too. 

It is difficult to say that this is right or this is wrong in this case.