Jump to content
Trichromatic

Hardik Pandya's batting in T20I tournaments

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

What clutch innings has he played again. Please remind us that great clutch knock.

 

1 hour ago, R!TTER said:

What, what sort of stats are these? He's a serial bottler, just marginally better than RGS although his bowling did contribute a lot this time!

 

View overall figures [change view]
Opposition team Australia  or England  or New Zealand  or Pakistan  or South Africa  or West Indies 
Trophy ICC Men's T20 World Cup 
Involving the player HH Pandya (IND) 
Qualifications runs scored greater than or equal to 100 
Ordered by batting average (descending)
Page 1 of 1 Showing 1 - 4 of 4   First Previous Next Last Return to query menu
Cleared query menu
Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
V Kohli 2016-2022 9 9 4 459 89* 91.80 332 138.25 0 6 0 46 10  
SA Yadav 2021-2022 4 4 0 108 68 27.00 68 158.82 0 1 0 10 5  
HH Pandya 2016-2022 9 6 0 140 63 23.33 112 125.00 0 1 0 8 7  
RG Sharma 2016-2022 9 9 0 130 43 14.44 130 100.00 0 0 1 12 5  

If he is doing better than RG Sharma on batting alone then that is enough to conclude that he has performed well in these tournaments.

 

Let's look at India's performance in big matches since 2017:-

 

CT 2017 Final - 76*(43) vs Pakistan

WC 2019 Semis - 32(59) vs New Zealand but most importantly weathered the storm after the team was 24/5. It was a decent knock compared to the joke that top order showed up in that big game.

 

Asia Cup 2022- Won the match vs Pakistan with his all round performance. Had he not won us the game, it would have been 2-0 humiliation for us in Asia Cup and counting the WT20 2021, a 3-0 humiliation. Pakistan's PM and Ramiz Raza would have tweeted on how bad India have become in cricket.

 

WT20 2022 vs Pakistan- Picked 3 wickets with bowl, destroyed their middle order which ensured that the total got reduced by 20 runs. Also made up for overs of Ashwin and Axar who basically did **** with bowl. Then his contribution with bat amidst the top order collapse is extra only.

 

 WT20 2022 vs England - played a fantastic knock amidst the match losing 50(40) of Kohli and failures of other batsman as he scored 65 of 33 balls.
Conclusion - He has performed in 4 tournaments matches for his team. There is a fifth one too where he didn't **** like top order batters which was WC Semi Final 2019. If you don't count that, it is still 4 such performance and this excludes a few more performances which he has delivered in 2019 World Cup.

 

 

 

Edited by Majestic
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Majestic said:

 

If he is doing better than RG Sharma on batting alone then that is enough to conclude that he has performed well in these tournaments.

 

Let's look at India's performance in big matches since 2017:-

 

CT 2017 Final - 76*(43) vs Pakistan

WC 2019 Semis - 32(59) vs New Zealand but most importantly weathered the storm after the team was 24/5. It was a decent knock compared to the joke that top order showed up in that big game.

 

Asia Cup 2022- Won the match vs Pakistan with his all round performance. Had he not won us the game, it would have been 2-0 humiliation for us in Asia Cup and counting the WT20 2021, a 3-0 humiliation. Pakistan's PM and Ramiz Raza would have tweeted on how bad India have become in cricket.

 

WT20 2022 vs Pakistan- Picked 3 wickets with bowl, destroyed their middle order which ensured that the total got reduced by 20 runs. Also made up for overs of Ashwin and Axar who basically did **** with bowl. Then his contribution with bat amidst the top order collapse is extra only.

 

 WT20 2022 vs England - played a fantastic knock amidst the match losing 50(40) of Kohli and failures of other batsman as he scored 65 of 33 balls.
Conclusion - He has performed in 4 tournaments matches for his team. There is a fifth one too where he didn't **** like top order batters which was WC Semi Final 2019. If you don't count that, it is still 4 such performance and this excludes a few more performances which he has delivered in 2019 World Cup.

 

 

 

In what world CT 2017 is called clutch innings , 

 

All knocks were useless and none of them were match winning. When he wins a match in world cup come and talk to us.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

In what world CT 2017 is called clutch innings , 

 

All knocks were useless and none of them were match winning. When he wins a match in world cup come and talk to us.

So, according to you, Kohli's knock in 2016 Semis and 2014 finals was useless too. Conclusion, he doesn't have any performance which is relevant. Let him win a World Cup and then talk to us. Not to forget the below par performance in ODI World Cup tournaments.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

CT 2017 Final - 76*(43) vs Pakistan

That was a useless innings in the end, it's like applauding the worthless 50 by MS in the 2015 SF against Oz. Also he wasn't not out, as RJ ran him out, so we didn't even get within 100 runs of that target when he fell.

 

6 minutes ago, Majestic said:

WC 2019 Semis - 32(59) vs New Zealand but most importantly weathered the storm after the team was 24/5.

Bad innings, you're seriously counting this? He weathered "the storm" & then got out after scoring barely at a S/R of 50 :whack3:

 

The only one who played a good (but useless) innings there was Jadeja, everyone else before him should be thrown off the Eiffel tower :hitler:

8 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Asia Cup 2022- Won the match vs Pakistan with his all round performance.

Well if we're counting Asia Cup performances then surely Kohli's 180 odd against peak Chuckmal beats anything Sobers lite did, probably Sharma can also have some claim in that regard but I won't bother with the perennial fat ass.

9 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Then his contribution with bat amidst the top order collapse is extra only.

Yes, so we have that second goodish innings. That's 2 in nearly 7 years!

 

12 minutes ago, Majestic said:

WT20 2022 vs England

Ultimately useless this one as well, so even if you count the innings against Pak as a good one that's a grand total of 4-6 goodish ones in 5 ICC world events against major teams & just for T20 that's a very high failure rate!

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Majestic said:

So, according to you, Kohli's knock in 2016 Semis and 2014 finals was useless too. Conclusion, he doesn't have any performance which is relevant. Let him win a World Cup and then talk to us. Not to forget the below par performance in ODI World Cup tournaments.

Chasing  330 and scoring 76 is not clutch. .

 

Kohli 2016 semis was great innings , it was ruined by useless bowling. 2014 finals it was not a great innings.

 

Kohli is million  times  better clutch player than useless Pandya ever will be so don't compare two. Let him win one lousy MOM  in any world cup against any team frist.

Edited by putrevus
Link to comment
2 hours ago, R!TTER said:

That was a useless innings in the end, it's like applauding the worthless 50 by MS in the 2015 SF against Oz. Also he wasn't not out, as RJ ran him out, so we didn't even get within 100 runs of that target when he fell.

 

Bad innings, you're seriously counting this? He weathered "the storm" & then got out after scoring barely at a S/R of 50 :whack3:

 

The only one who played a good (but useless) innings there was Jadeja, everyone else before him should be thrown off the Eiffel tower :hitler:

Well if we're counting Asia Cup performances then surely Kohli's 180 odd against peak Chuckmal beats anything Sobers lite did, probably Sharma can also have some claim in that regard but I won't bother with the perennial fat ass.

Yes, so we have that second goodish innings. That's 2 in nearly 7 years!

 

Ultimately useless this one as well, so even if you count the innings against Pak as a good one that's a grand total of 4-6 goodish ones in 5 ICC world events against major teams & just for T20 that's a very high failure rate!

:facepalm:

 

How is 2017 CT a bad knock? It is not a MSDesque knock which is generally slow and selfish. Had he failed, you would have counted it as a failed knock. But now since he scored, it is not a good knock? 

 

In 2019 World Cup, he played numerous good knocks. I haven't counted even that too. Playing 5-6 good knocks vs top teams is enough to call him clutch. Jadeja has only two such performance in 10-12 years of his LOI career. Actually Jadeja knock in 2019 semis was useless if we use the same logic because the game was already lost with required rate going over 12-13.

 

How is Pandya's knock in 2022 WT20 vs England an useless one? It was a great knock while Kohli's knock in that game was a slow knock and bowlers bowled poorly. 

 

Since 2017, he has delivered more big match performances than any other Indian cricketer and I have already highlighted 4-5 such knocks ,none of them included the 2019 World Cup performances yet which would count probably 1 or 2 more. He played useful cameos there as well and bowled 10 overs quota regularly.

 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, putrevus said:

Chasing  330 and scoring 76 is not clutch. .

 

Kohli 2016 semis was great innings , it was ruined by useless bowling. 2014 finals it was not a great innings.

 

Kohli is million  times  better clutch player than useless Pandya ever will be so don't compare two. Let him win one lousy MOM  in any world cup against any team frist.

I think you are a Pandya hater so no point of having a discussion here. Pandya has played more clutch performances in big games since 2017 than any other Indian batter has done which means Pandya is undoubtedly a clutch player.

 

Kohli is clutch in T20s but he has been **** in ODIs as he has never been among the top 10 run scorer in ODI World Cups which is a huge blemish for a top order like him. Steve Smith was top 6 run scorer in 2015 WC while Kane and Root were top 5 run scorers in 2019 WC. Kohli has nothing to show up in ODI World Cup in contrast. Even Babar was among top run scorer in 2019 WC. Kohli was not even in top 10 run scorer in 2011,2015 and 2019 World Cup.

Edited by Majestic
Link to comment

Pandya has to improve his hitting technique. And also choice of shots.  He tries to hit chest high balls down the ground ala Kohli.  You would rather settle for hook or pull or slap or ramp. Also when he plays slower balls he doesn't wait to place it. He just tries to muscle it.  He has to be ready for any length and adjust the shots accordingly. This one stop shop shot is not working

Link to comment
25 minutes ago, Majestic said:

How is 2017 CT a bad knock?

It's not a good or "clutch knock" as you're claiming, otherwise every 50 in a losing cause can be claimed as such & SRT would be termed as the best ever ODI player! He has yet to play a match winning/changing knock which is a big deal given what some of you are expecting from him.

 

26 minutes ago, Majestic said:

In 2019 World Cup, he played numerous good knocks.

Yes that's why I counted 4-6 good knocks overall, I contested just 3 which you pointed out, otherwise I'd have counted a total of three in 5 ICC tournaments.

 

28 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Jadeja has only two such performance in 10-12 years of his LOI career.

Yes but Jadeja was also the best bowler in 2013 CT. Nothing you've said here points to Pandya being more clutch than say Jadeja or Kohli yet.

 

29 minutes ago, Majestic said:

How is Pandya's knock in 2022 WT20 vs England an useless one?

It was useless because we didn't win - as simple as that. If you're counting every 50 as clutch or whatever then show us the results? In comparison his knock against Pak was more useful, because we won, moreover his bowling combined with his batting was almost certainly MoM worthy.

 

31 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Since 2017, he has delivered more big match performances than any other Indian cricketer and I have already highlighted 4-5 such knocks

No, strictly speaking about ICC events he's not been better than Kohli or even Jadeja - yes RJ's previous match losing knocks are a big minus against him but again Pandya hasn't been objectively better in this timeframe.

 

I will add a caveat though that generally speaking we have batted second in important KO games, especially in ODI's wrt other top teams. So if I were to account for our poor performances in most KO's I will add that major point as well - because chasing is generally harder in KO games. Unless the pitch improves or basically remains the same, like in T20, you should not chase!

Link to comment

Pandya has started playing what is considered as good batting by Indian Commentators -mature batting per Indian cricket Gurus. Play with safety first and if everything falls into place then hit few 4/6 here or there.

 

Others (Sanju, Pant, Kishan ) too have followed the same suite, this way you can show the amount of runs you have scored. Indian Commentators do not have any idea of how T20s or white ball has changed over the years, now its all about impact innings (Play 20 balls score 40, or 8 ball 18 runs).

 

In one of the shows Harsh bhogle was going ballistic over the batting approach of Rizwan and Babar but didnt say a word about Rohit and Rahuls cowardly approach in PPs.

 

Ind has done so badly in last 3 multi team tournaments but there has been no write-ups from any commentators/journalists on the retrospective or what has been going wrong.

It tells a-lot about  their intellectual honesty and understanding of the game.

Edited by tapandrun
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...