"I don't buy it!" : Ravi Shastri on KL's low Strike Rate

Texan

https://www.mykhel.com/cricket/ipl-2023-ravi-shastri-on-kl-rahul-strike-rate-dont-buy-all-that-talk-rr-vs-lsg-213439.html

Former India head coach Shastri has completely shunned Rahul's comment, saying that the right-hander should have batted deep after getting two chances and also upped his strike rate. "Absolutely (needs to get the strike up). All that talk about 160, I don't buy it. When you have two chances, if you convert that 39 to 60 or 70, 160 becomes 175. You need someone in the top 3 to carry on and play that long innings," Ravi Shastri told Star Sports.

Read more at: https://www.mykhel.com/cricket/ipl-2023-ravi-shastri-on-kl-rahul-strike-rate-dont-buy-all-that-talk-rr-vs-lsg-213439.html

Ravi Shastri always preferred accumulators in his teams during his time. I remember we didn't have a proper finisher after Dhoni and tried Manish Pandey as one.

We played a top five of Shikhar, Rohit, Kohli, Iyer, Pandey in same team regularly. Pandey was our number 5 to make it worse.

Edited by Chakdephatte

These “bat long get a 100” ex-players probably don’t add much value either as coaches or as commentators 

If you do that you are unintentionally creating a culture of dependencies and star entitled players. 

You need to tell the batsman to play per the situation and ball, keep pushing for the team without worrying about getting out as there are 10 (now 11 with impact sub) more players in the team!

The star players are the reason why India has been relevant in last decade even though it has been saddled with useless bozos like Pandya who do nothing but have somehow become captains.

If these guys like Pandya did something to win match for change for India then India would not be depending on star players to win every single match.

Rahul was/is a never the star player but gets lumped into the star players. It is idiot Dravid who kept on picking Rahul  even when other options were available.

Gill will be next star player, the same story of people whining over him will continue, star players need help too.

Wade and Marsh won t20 world cup for Australia,  Curran won for England. When will guys like Pandya do something for a change. If they did something then India would have won many cups already. 

Edited by putrevus

Kl has been taking advantage of being the captain, If his role is to take single and wait for other guy to do all the scoring then its more than often other batter will aways be under pressure to try hit ball after ball.

if the other guy is having a bad day his team is already losing the power-play, right now there is no accountability for his lower SRs , it would not have been the case if he was not captain. no captain will let an opener play that way.

But this is the case with all Ind captains in IPL- Panday's SR is below 135 once he became the captain, Samson is also down on his pre captain SR, same thing for Pant.

This seems to be the hand book for all ind player who become the captain

Edited by tapandrun

9 hours ago, tapandrun said:

Kl has been taking advantage of being the captain, If his role is to take single and wait for other guy to do all the scoring then its more than often other batter will aways be under pressure to try hit ball after ball.

if the other guy is having a bad day his team is already losing the power-play, right now there is no accountability for his lower SRs , it would not have been the case if he was not captain. no captain will let an opener play that way.

But this is the case with all Ind captains in IPL- Panday's SR is below 135 once he became the captain, Samson is also down on his pre captain SR, same thing for Pant.

This seems to be the hand book for all ind player who become the captain

yes, he is selfishness personified

Shastri himself was a selfish batter all through his career...he was notoriously famous of blocking the deliveries even during the death overs denying strike to hitters like Kapil Dev.
While likes of Srikkanth used to take all the pressure of scoring, this fella will selfishly take 148 balls to score 63 notout runs to won the Man of the Match trophy.

I think the most unselfish era of our batting was from 2000-2011...when he had ample amount of batters who will try to take the attack back to the opposition (in ODI's atleast). Even likes of Dravid and Kaif who had no ability to strike big atleast used to show intent to score...Laxman and Ganguly were the only 2 who will get stuck against certain type of bowling. Else, Gambhir, Sachin, Sehwag, Yuvraj, Young Dhoni all were a nightmare to the opposition pacers and spinners.

This "safety first" approach was started by Dhoni after his house was attacked post 2007 ODI WC failure, and later our top 3 utilized it from 2012-2019 because our middle order was "weak" and top 3 had to do all heavy lifting. Rohit and Kohli atleast used to have the ability to make up for that later, but now slowly that became a template for every batter playing at the top despite not having the ability to make up for that. We're now in that rat hole where our batting template is outdated, and our ageing batters are incapable of making it up for the delays under the chanllenging conditions. 

12 hours ago, Tibarn said:

Great graphic. I wish broadcasters showed these kind of graphics instead of meaningless stats. Commentators keep harping on his T20 average, which is a pretty meaningless stat when it comes to T20s. Long innings aren't necessarily good for the team if they are slow. 

5 hours ago, Texan said:

Great graphic. I wish broadcasters showed these kind of graphics instead of meaningless stats. Commentators keep harping on his T20 average, which is a pretty meaningless stat when it comes to T20s. Long innings aren't necessarily good for the team if they are slow. 

CricViz usually has good data/graphics, if you have a twitter, they are worth following.

I think SKY sports uses their graphics for England matches, but sadly we don't get any of these for India matches/IPL

Edited by Tibarn

22 hours ago, Texan said:

KL is still the fastest Indian to 7000 runs in T20. 

On 4/20/2023 at 11:47 PM, putrevus said:

Wade and Marsh won t20 world cup for Australia,  Curran won for England. When will guys like Pandya do something for a change.

I'm not a pandya fan but wtf is this logic.

Curran or marsh didn't win them the tournaments on their own. England and Australia had capable batters in the top who can blast any opponent on their day. That is what the likes of Warner or Butler did in the last two tournaments. Meanwhile we are stuck with Kohli who scores useless 50(40) on a flat patta and chokers like Rohit, Rahul who pee their pants at the slightest of pressure. Even then Pandya played a blinder in the semi final against England or else that would have been an even bigger defeat.

14 minutes ago, Norman said:

I'm not a pandya fan but wtf is this logic.

Curran or marsh didn't win them the tournaments on their own. England and Australia had capable batters in the top who can blast any opponent on their day. That is what the likes of Warner or Butler did in the last two tournaments. Meanwhile we are stuck with Kohli who scores useless 50(40) on a flat patta and chokers like Rohit, Rahul who pee their pants at the slightest of pressure. Even then Pandya played a blinder in the semi final against England or else that would have been an even bigger defeat.

WTF  logic is yours, calling 50(40) useless  if Kohli did not play blinder against Pakistan while Pandya scored useless 40 at SR of 108. India would not have made it to semi finals. 

It is idiotic to  keep expecting Kohli to perform in every match.  He did his best to carry to the team semis and also played his part in semis. You cannot expect one play to carry the team.

"Don't care about strike-rate in T20Is, I look for the average": Aamir Sohail on Strike-Rate Vs Average

A heated discussion between Simon Doull and Aamer Sohail took place on-air over strike rate of Babar Azam during the second T20I game between Pakistan and Afghanistan at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium.

The argument began when Doull, expressed his opinion that Pakistan Skipper, Babar Azam, should not open for the team in T20Is, and that Saim and Haris should open with Rizwan instead.

"Babar Azam is hands down the best #3 batsman in the world. He should not open for Pakistan. Saim and Haris should open with Rizwan in T20Is." he said.

Former Pakistan cricketer and commentator, Aamer Sohail, challenged Doull's statement and argued that T20 teams are selected based on averages rather than strike rates, emphasizing that averages hold more significance than strike rates.

"The T20 teams are selected on the basis of averages and not strikerates. The averages are more important than strikerates," he said.

The 56-year-old, also cited Chris Gayle and AB De Villiers, two of the best T20 players in the world, as examples of players who have a relatively lower strike rate but a higher average.

"I dont care about the strike-rate, I look for the average. If you talk about best players in T20I like Chris Gayle and AB De Villiers, what is the strike-rate between 135 and 137?" Aamer questioned.

Doull corrected Sohail by stating that Chris Gayle's strike rate is 158 and AB De Villiers' strike rate is 145. Sohail then mentioned that AB De Villiers' strike rate is around 137, to which Doull asked, "What's Babar's strike rate?" Sohail did not respond directly to the question and said, "last time I checked...." before concluding his point.