The happiness that Chandrayaan-3 success has given has largely made up for the reality that India may not win the World cup 2023

Atleast for me.

The Indian national mens cricket team are the biggest underperformers in our history perhaps in world history.

Name one national sports team from around the world - where inspite having such overwhelming public support, resources and money relative to the rest of the competing teams

- that team is such an underperformer like the Indian mens national cricket team.

Money, resources, public support - nothing can make these losers punch equal to our national weight and win trophies that matter the most.

I know I am going to face alot of flak for this - but with the same nucleus of players under Ravi Shastri - we were a different breed - Dravid is such a pathetic influence to what makes a winning cricket team - the killer instinct, the attitude, the clutch performances.  I have zero hope with his pathetic influence as head coach in the 2023 WC.

I think there is enough happiness from  our young Chess players who are going to dominate the scene for a long time and our great success in space exploration.

Edited by rangeelaraja

ISRO

Chess tsunami led by teenagers Pragg, Gukesh, Arjun

Neeraj Chopra, 3 javelin throwers in top 6, our 4x400 relay team

These people have given so much joy in the last couple of weeks. Don't mind much even if we flop in cricket, anyway ICT is P4P the weakest sports team in all of history, not even 2nd best W/L in tests among South Asian countries lmao. Them getting humiliated yet again will be norm, not an exception.....like say US basketball team or Brazilian football team flopping. 

Why stop at the players? Clowns like Dravid, Rathour, Mhambrey will never face consequences for their destruction of Indian cricket. But RB Ramesh who has coached most of our brightest chess prospects since they were toddlers is yet to get a Dronacharya award. ISRO's top scientists will go unrewarded while unqualified bozos like Jay Shah and Rajiv Shukla continue the loot. 

Edited by Gollum

Prannoy beating Axelsen was another high, that too in latter's backyard in Copenhagen. 

We saw how easily our hockey team brushed aside the best of Asia earlier this month in Chennai. But can we say with confidence that ICT will beat any of Pak, Afg, Ban, Lanka this time around in Asia Cup? That is the aukaat of Indian cricket. South Asia is the worst region on this planet when it comes to sports, and look at how our great cricketers tremble at the sight of the opponents. 

1 minute ago, AuxiliA said:

We are doing better than before in almost everything apart from cricket. BCCI :bumsmack:

But we have Eye Pee Yell, the beshtest sports league on the planet. So what if we don't win an ICC trophy for the next 100 years, an Indian city will always be the proud owner of Manikchand Cycle Agarbathi VIVO OPPO Eye Pee Yell trophy. 

1 hour ago, rangeelaraja said:

Atleast for me.

The Indian national mens cricket team are the biggest underperformers in our history perhaps in world history.

Name one national sports team from around the world - where inspite having such overwhelming public support, resources and money relative to the rest of the competing teams

- that team is such an underperformer like the Indian mens national cricket team.

Money, resources, public support - nothing can make these losers punch equal to our national weight and win trophies that matter the most.

I know I am going to face alot of flak for this - but with the same nucleus of players under Ravi Shastri - we were a different breed - Dravid is such a pathetic influence to what makes a winning cricket team - the killer instinct, the attitude, the clutch performances.  I have zero hope with his pathetic influence as head coach in the 2023 WC.

I think there is enough happiness from  our young Chess players who are going to dominate the scene for a long time and our great success in space exploration.

Has it made up for the possibility of having a disastrous home WC campaign?

Can happiness elsewhere offset heartache in another sphere of life? I'm afraid it doesn't work that way.

I know this team will not do well. The discernible difference in hype vis a vis the WC in 2011 is scary. And that team was full of match winners and all time greats. This XI can barely be fit.

If the success off Chandrayaan-3 or Pragg really made up for this eventuality, we would see this thread of chessbase India forums or Indian ISROfans forums. :winky:

My wish list is modest. I want us to defeat Pakistan. I also would like to end up in the top 4, though I think given the format it won't happen.

We will end up losing to Australia, New Zealand, England and at least one of Afghanistan/ Sri Lanka/ Bangladesh and win the other games.

The Indian national side is not an underperforming side .

This side is performing as per expectations.    

No point blaming the coach when Duncan Fletcher, Anil Kumble and Ravi Shastri could not get this side to win an ICC tournament either.

Blame goes primarily to BCCI for not having a better system to identify and develop talents .

Secondly, blame goes to the respective captains- MS, Kohli and Rohit for not moving with the times.

Instead of modifying our LOI template and picking the right players to play accordingly, they were all building the team around their own comfort zones. 

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

But we have Eye Pee Yell, the beshtest sports league on the planet. So what if we don't win an ICC trophy for the next 100 years, an Indian city will always be the proud owner of Manikchand Cycle Agarbathi VIVO OPPO Eye Pee Yell trophy. 

IPL is a huge Indian success story on the economic front but yeah I feel it has killed the fire among Indian players to exceed at the International level. They get content by earning Crores and gaining millions of SM followers at a young age through IPL. The hunger to play for India isn't the same as before.

Contrast that to the Pakistanis whose biggest goal in life is to beat India. Their players look more determined than ours. 

39 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Has it made up for the possibility of having a disastrous home WC campaign?

Can happiness elsewhere offset heartache in another sphere of life? I'm afraid it doesn't work that way.

I know this team will not do well. The discernible difference in hype vis a vis the WC in 2011 is scary. And that team was full of match winners and all time greats. This XI can barely be fit.

If the success off Chandrayaan-3 or Pragg really made up for this eventuality, we would see this thread of chessbase India forums or Indian ISROfans forums. :winky:

My wish list is modest. I want us to defeat Pakistan. I also would like to end up in the top 4, though I think given the format it won't happen.

We will end up losing to Australia, New Zealand, England and at least one of Afghanistan/ Sri Lanka/ Bangladesh and win the other games.

Nobody remembers the runner up, winning the world cup is what matters.

It would be better for India to have a super disastrous campaign ( like the 2007 WC)  that results in a major overhaul than lose in the semis or final. 

So in a sense a disastrous campaign is welcome.

Unfortunately, the BCCI and Indian players have sold their souls to their IPL "owners".  The fire to play for India and win the biggest tournaments for India is not as much as being an IPL star and being a rockstar commodity during the players bidding.

Aussie and English star players have chucked massive life changing IPL contracts to be fit and stay rested for national duty - do we see such acts by our "stars" ?

This is why I have been the strongest opponent of IPL from Day1, while you have been a big cheerleader. 

I want this pathetic team to get humiliated in the WC. The fact that someone with Dravid's approach to cricket can be a national coach -  is a sure shot predictor for disastrous performances. 

59 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

Nobody remembers the runner up, winning the world cup is what matters.

It would be better for India to have a super disastrous campaign ( like the 2007 WC)  that results in a major overhaul than lose in the semis or final. 

So in a sense a disastrous campaign is welcome.

Unfortunately, the BCCI and Indian players have sold their souls to their IPL "owners".  The fire to play for India and win the biggest tournaments for India is not as much as being an IPL star and being a rockstar commodity during the players bidding.

Aussie and English star players have chucked massive life changing IPL contracts to be fit and stay rested for national duty - do we see such acts by our "stars" ?

This is why I have been the strongest opponent of IPL from Day1, while you have been a big cheerleader. 

I want this pathetic team to get humiliated in the WC. The fact that someone with Dravid's approach to cricket can be a national coach -  is a sure shot predictor for disastrous performances. 

While this is partly not-incorrect, we should not lose sight of how IPL has benefitted Indian cricket and that many players have found financial security in pursuing cricket as a career in India. Call this my attempt at playing devils advocate here. :giggle:

As for the ICT, hopefully this thread gets bumped in November for the right reasons.

And Neeraj Chopra's success. He is a true champion. Olympic, Asian and now World Champion. He is at another level. All this made possible because he has stayed away from distractions. On the other hand, we have tatooed insta wannabes Chhapris and millionaires continue to milk the cash cow called BCCI for doing absolutely NOTHING... Just fukkk offf 

15 minutes ago, Number said:

I don't see too much of seriousness in Aus Eng for this tournament. Hardly any preparations. 

NZ do plan well but don't think they have team to win the tournament.

Just somehow manage to choke past Pakistan and we may end up winning, who knows.

Aus, Eng are not nearly as fanatical about cricket as the SC folks. Same with WI, NZ, RSA. Still SENAW have dominated cricket for so long in all formats. 

Unless we play Toygers I think a heavy loss in SF is guaranteed, if we get that far. 

From 2021

New Zealand Cricket’s (NZC) annual revenue is only Rs 279 crores. Their domestic cricket comprises of just six teams with no more than 96 players to choose from.

Compare that to India, who have 608 players to choose from 38 domestic teams.

Compare with puny Lanka (1/4th the population of Tamil Nadu, civil war torn for most of the last 40 years, now economic collapse) and we come out looking even worse...still in their lowest phase they won 2014 WT20 and also test series wins in RSA and Eng. 

ISRO is overachieving, Indian cricket is massively underachieving. 

Edited by Gollum

Also remember indian players don't get much exposure to other playing conditions in t20 at all. We only play IPl. We don't play outside indua. We don't let our players play overseas 

With regards to odi, no one really cares much anymore. Odi has lost its charm for a while now. 

Tests is what we generally focus in and we have done well despite losing 2 finals which in reality could have been wins if we ha dplanned better. Ipl takes precedence and we paid for it dearly. 

While all these are great, none of them are played with the frequency cricket is. Neeraj Chopra is a 4 year event (or some tournaments in between for 20 mins per tournament). Unless something replaces the hours/days cricket takes up on our TVs/devices, cricket will continue to get disproportionate viewership. Plus there is no way that Chess viewership will ever replace cricket. A vast majority are happy reading about it later than actually watching it.

The only sports that can replace cricket are football when (not if) we start to make gains and perhaps hockey.  A good sporting nation revels in following and celebrating all major sports/events and we are slowly getting there.