Shreyas Iyer is my Semi Final MOM

No doubt Shami bowled brilliantly. But Iyers innings was the difference between India getting 398 and India closing at 350ish.

Had we got around 350, Kiwis approach would have been different and Kane Williamson wouldn't have felt the scoreboard pressure and gone for it and lost his wicket.

They were in with a chance throughout the chase till Mitchell was there. But Iyers dominant 67 ball hundred just put the match out of Kiwi reach in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Lord said:

Haan bhai was much easier to bowl than to bat on that pitch, especially from 164-1

Batting a opposition out of the game on a batting paradise. Everyone chanced their arm on that pitch, but Iyers inning put the finishing line out of Kiwi Reach. With all due respect to Shami and his phenomenal spell. In my opinion, Iyers innings was a big difference. Just imagine if they were chasing 350, even Shami wouldn't have been able to save us today.

3 minutes ago, Sean Bradley said:

Batting a opposition out of the game on a batting paradise. Everyone chanced their arm on that pitch, but Iyers inning put the finishing line out of Kiwi Reach. With all due respect to Shami and his phenomenal spell. In my opinion, Iyers innings was a big difference. Just imagine if they were chasing 350, even Shami wouldn't have been able to save us today.

He didn't bat them out. Without Shami it'd been chased.

if Shami didn't bowl well even 420 might have been chased. That argument goes both ways.

4 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Shami took 5 top order wickets including 2 set batsman and one batsman in Latham who always hurts India. Shami won the MOTM convincingly.  Without Iyer, there was a possibility India could still have made close to what they made in the end.

You saying without shami we still would have won? Lol

No we wouldnt have won without Shami, but we would have won if we had posted 340 350 ? Kiwis would have approached this differently and played out Shami.

Edited by Sean Bradley

Think there is also a subconscious bias here, because we all expect such stuff from Shami, after all he is in the McGrath/Akram class when it comes to ODI WCs. But what Iyer did here and vs RSA pleasantly surprised us all, made us feel more confident about our chances since #4 has been our biggest headache for the last 12 years. So we are more chuffed with his 100 and are rating it highly, bumping/creating these sort of threads. 

Shami deserved the MOTM, a bowling performance for the ages. Iyer's knock was also one of the best in Indian WC history, but objectively Shami show was slightly better. Good that we got to witness two special performances on the same day, helping us beat our bogey side. 

Both were brilliant. In this rare case, it should have probably been split. 

Shami's bowling was great, but it got amplified because all our other bowlers were bad and our fielding was horrendous. Without Shami's performance, NZ would have chased 400 with two overs to spare. 

10 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Shami took 5 top order wickets including 2 set batsman and one batsman in Latham who always hurts India. Shami won the MOTM convincingly.  Without Iyer, there was a possibility India could still have made close to what they made in the end.

You saying without shami we still would have won? Lol

Yeah even Rahul was hitting nicely after 10 valls and Gill recovered by then. We could have still made 370ish I think