Is KL Rahul technique wise India’s best Wicket Keeper ever?

maniac

7 minutes ago, maniac said:

Looks more flawless than Saha, MSD, Mongia etc.

Best wicketkeeper I have seen play for India 

not counting his batting etc. or speaking statistically but aesthetically and from a cricketing perspective the best keeper I have seen keep for India.

KL Rahul is keeping only in LOIs, whereas the ones you mention were good/great keepers in tests as well. Keeping in tests against swinging ball and against indian spinners is whole different ball game.

Rahul is doing a good job in LOIs, but no way can be compared with them. I would say he is better than likes of DK who was average keeper even in LOIs.

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

For a second I thought I opened that thread :phew:.

having said that KL’s keeping always impressed me. I thought he kept better than Pant  in IPL and was abused by people on ICF :(( 

yeah was good but inconsistent earlier. Maybe just focussing a lot more being a WC.

The way i see it. KL Rahul is a good fielder. I still see him more as a fielder with gloves rather than a keeper. It definitely  helps him. Those dives on both sides show that. Give Jonty Rhodes wicket keeping gloves. Chances are he is going to do very well. Edge catch of spinners is something he he still has to work on.

59 minutes ago, nevada said:

Saha, daylight and then anyone else. Rahul looks great because expectations were very low.He has pulled off some good dive catches and has been very good with DRS reviews, so credit where it is due.

I was against him being keeper for the WC, but he has delivered well so far.

However, I would have had Kishan instead of SKY, so really not much of a difference in terms of set up.

If anything having Kishan would have offered India more left and right combinations.

5 hours ago, maniac said:

not counting his batting etc. or speaking statistically but aesthetically and from a cricketing perspective the best keeper I have seen keep for India.

Mongia was good and could also bat when at the time, most wicket keepers in India couldnt bat.

@express bowling@Vijy

5 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

The way i see it. KL Rahul is a good fielder. I still see him more as a fielder with gloves rather than a keeper. It definitely  helps him. Those dives on both sides show that. Give Jonty Rhodes wicket keeping gloves. Chances are he is going to do very well. Edge catch of spinners is something he he still has to work on.

Like de Villiers. He did a fine job as keeper for SA or RCB.

7 hours ago, Forever Indian said:

KL Rahul is keeping only in LOIs, whereas the ones you mention were good/great keepers in tests as well. Keeping in tests against swinging ball and against indian spinners is whole different ball game.

Rahul is doing a good job in LOIs, but no way can be compared with them. I would say he is better than likes of DK who was average keeper even in LOIs.

What about the other Rahul who also kept in ODIs? Better/worse?

So much disrespect to Saha who is our greatest pure keeper of all time, and one of the GOATs across the world, strictly speaking about keeping.

Real test is keeping in test match cricket, on day 4/5 pitch against Shami, Umesh, Ash-Jad...ball going up and down, spinning like a cobra etc. Not on true pitches in 20 and 50 overs cricket. @maniac cricket acumen 101?

I remember we had a thread to monitor our dropped catches and all and whilst it was active Saha had something like 4-5 drops across 20 completed tests. 2 of them when he had a shoulder dislocation, and some of the catches he took in 2017 series vs Aus, others wouldn't count as attempt....one catch he took between 1st and 2nd slip position, bowler was Umesh.

And he is the only keeper I have seen who used to take catches of thick edges of spinners. There is no one like him. I used to tune in just to watch that guy keep.

Edited by Gollum
12 hours ago, maniac said:

I don't know "asthetically"..he has kept well in this WC. But I would not consider him best keeper for India.

Saha was very good, matured version of Pant is another who is phenomenal, MSD was good against spinners. Not very folks might remember but Ajay Ratra was another one who was absolutely electric as a wkt keeper (almost Bouncer/Jack Russell level).

From the younger folks Jurel looks a very good keeper, better than Prabhsimran or Jitesh. Haven't seen Bana much so will not comment, but heard he is very good. Heard good things about Upendra Yadav as well.

KL Rahul is as good as Ishan Kishan and that's actually a worry for IK. Coz when Pant returns IK might struggle to find a place in both the white & red ball formats.

Edited by singhvivek141