Why Has Dhoni Lost His ODI Mojo?: Aakash Chopra

The Dhoni Question  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Dhoni?

• Let him continue down the order, and trust him to work it out and eventually bring down his dot ball percentage
    • Drop him from the ODI squad
    • Move him to the middle order, batting at 4, so he possibly can get in by the 25th over, if 2 wickets go down.
    • Move him to the top order, so he has the power play to get in
  2. 2. If Dhoni retires or is dropped, who do you want to see take over the LOI wicket-keeping position?

1 hour ago, sscomp32 said:

I want to see him bat at 4 regularly before deciding anything. If he struggles even there he should go. 

As for keeper and advisor. Pant is ready and kohli after running a few games like clueless chicken will learn how to manage the team. Right now he doesn't seem to be making an effort in changing/improving captaincy because he knows dhoni is there to help him out if he goes wrong. 

I  agree ... it's not that the replacements have done enough ...2-3 series at no.4 will make it clear whether MSD still has the mojo to last till 2019 ..

3 hours ago, Cricketics said:

I would like to see Ishan Kishan also in the scheme of things.

Pant can be ahead in the order in Test matches to replace Saha eventually and also Dhoni for now in ODI's,  but we need to also find a way to get Ishan Kishan some India A games and keep him around Indian team so Pant also has a competition for keeping slot once Dhoni goes permanently.

It is good to have a competition for wicket keeping slot between two young guns Pant and Kishan. 

I really want kishan in the team ASAP. But he is just not in the radar.  :(

6 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Dhoni is 36 now. He will not be the force anymore. He was hand eye coordination player who packed. Now power is still there but is losing his hand eye coordination quickly. Break is only going to harm him even more. 

He wont be the same player and most player goes through transitions n find their way 

Yes, Break can harm him and thats y i wanted him in WI series but some how not playing the same way is also affecting his confidence. M sure it does play on every big players mind when he is not able to be the same . 

Heard in many interviews by sehwag n ganguly that when they got dropped that actually helped them to go back on drawing board n work on things n took a lot of pressure off them. 

May be he needs to talk to someone like Sehwag or even a sports psychologist to get his thought process clear.  

Dhoni has to work out his game against spinner who take the ball away and a few more areas. There is lack of self belief i see in him specially while stepping down. 

Yes there is a concern also if u drop him there is no cricket that he can go n work......

But something has to be planned for dhoni. Failures will also affect his confidence and ofcourse the pressure does grow in such age 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
4 hours ago, Mosher said:

Selectors and Kohli are foolish if they think Dhoni will contribute in WC2019. Need to start grooming Pant as his replacement. That process has to start now since it will give ample time for the selectors to judge whether Pant is the right replacement or they need to try some other youngster like Samson if Pant fails.

Its upto Dhoni to drop himself like he gave Captaincy or selectors should tell him in private. If they want they can Give a farewell match or series. He does deserve that.

Kohli needs MSD for almost everything in limited overs arena. To think he will event contemplate dropping MSD is imagining too much.

I would give Dhoni another 6-12 months , hes lost a bit of form and his role has changed quite a bit and I think he deserves a chance to settle himeslef into a new role though. If he continues to struggle in the next 15-20 matches I expect him to retire on his won . His strength has always been about knowing his limitations  .

I still give a 50% chance of a massive turnaround in his game  , right now hes a bit like a noob batsmen whos unsure weather to go bang bang or not . A couple of good innings mayjust change things for him.

1 hour ago, speedheat said:

An overrated selfish cricketer with mysterious mind, has been ruining us enough since 2007, should be sacked from the team as fast as possible, doesn't deserve second or third chance at all.

:rotfl::rotfl: 

The 3 ICC wins and numerous others was Ruining India? 

Or maybe by us you meant your real identity of being a padosi. :giggle: 

I don't even know why ICF allows ungrateful ******* like you. :facepalm: 

Edited by sscomp32

Oho oho ho, 3 ICC wins by hiding behind the azzez of some legends like tendu, sehwag Zak etc. Don't give credit to that selfish man from Ranchi for teams achievement !!

I think we are waiting for that 1 innings so that the "selfless" Dhoni can retire on a high.

Remember he took the high road the first chance he got when he finally managed to draw a test in Australia especially when he was "not out" at the end. People called him "selfless" for retiring in the middle of a series :giggle: 

Sure with Odi too it will take an innings like that...luckily next series is VS Srilanka,so hoping we will hear the retirement news :pray: 

Just now, maniac said:

I think we are waiting for that 1 innings so that the "selfless" Dhoni can retire on a high.

Remember he took the high road the first chance he got when he finally managed to draw a test in Australia especially when he was "not out" at the end. People called him "selfless" for retiring in the middle of a series :giggle: 

Sure with Odi too it will take an innings like that...luckily next series is VS Srilanka,so hoping we will hear the retirement news :pray: 

With the potent spinners that Lanka possess, and with dhonis recent exploit in the odi game, we can use Dhoni and his lunges surely to negate the rough area and the spin that the Lankan bowlers would get. :hmmm:

26 minutes ago, sscomp32 said:

I don't even know why ICF allows ungrateful ******* like you. :facepalm: 

It was well known he is a padosi from start... He gets owned  everytime:giggle: by someone here regularly 

2 hours ago, jusarrived said:

I would give Dhoni another 6-12 months , hes lost a bit of form and his role has changed quite a bit and I think he deserves a chance to settle himeslef into a new role though. If he continues to struggle in the next 15-20 matches I expect him to retire on his won . His strength has always been about knowing his limitations  .

I still give a 50% chance of a massive turnaround in his game  , right now hes a bit like a noob batsmen whos unsure weather to go bang bang or not . A couple of good innings mayjust change things for him.

He should be alright at #4 still averages over 50 with 100 SR this year.. 

that will leave the side no time for a replacement for wc 2019,planning has to be clear in this regard

That by default means nobody else is getting a chance as those number of games will take up to two years.

Nobody in sport realistically turns around their game at 36, just does not happen.