Is Kolkata best Indian city to live in?

Trichromatic

Kolkata has that certain charm which many other large Indian cities don't have, which I've experienced through an outsiders perspective. 

Durga Puja, Diwali, Eid, Christmas or even Chhath Puja are celebrated enthusiastically, it is a real pleasure to be part of that atmosphere.

I found the people extremely cooperative when I was on a trip the last time around.

Mumbai comes close with Ganapati Utsav and its fast, pacy life suits many especially youngsters.  

Edited by Turning_track

It is a city close to my heart. Yes, it’s a very culture driven and festive city. But it has gone to the dogs. The poverty and lack of development combined with poor hygiene makes it difficult place to go to. I prefer 2-3 days of food tourism. And a visit to Swami Vivekanand’s ashram. That does it for me. 

Every state has at least 2-3 decent cities. Some like Gujarat, TN, Maharashtra have 7-8. Apart from Kolkata, WB has none. Siliguri is touristy, Kharagpur is small, Haldia is just an industrial city cum port.......They need to develop 2-3 other cities to ease the burden on Kolkata. When I was last there Asansol-Durgapur-Burdwan belt was being developed as the next big thing, dunno about its current status. Even Chennai (another faltu metro) has Coimbatore, Trichy, Kanyakumari, Madurai, Vellore, Salem and a host of others to share the burden. Kolkata is all alone and with the predicted rural to urban migration in the coming decades the load may become too much for that once great city. 

why are you expecting Christmas celebrations in Hyderabad?
Yeah, expect for a huge illuminated star hanging outside random houses in Hyderabad, you would not know it's Christmas.

There are many Churches scattered across the city, if one wants to get into the Christmas spirit. But it's too small a community, less than 3%, to have any significant impact on the general culture of this city.

I went to Inorbit mall last weekend. They had a live band playing carols. Nobody cared. I felt sorry for them though as they were playing songs with great energy.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Yes very unique city...esp the food...to die for... 

I believe was the 1st city to have underground metro rail built in India 

Kolkata had a lot of potential but like Ravi said...politics, lack of development ruined the city. IT still has its' old charm but things r going south fast..