Is Rohit’s test career over ?

In 2007, when India won VB series is Australia, we uncovered an enormous talent. He seemed to have hitting power of Yuvraj and solid technique of Tendulkar. It was scary, the kind of talent and time he had to play the ball. 

One of the the tough decisions that Kohli took was to back Rohit in test series. He knew this could be the making of the man. He had to leave out possibly India’s second best test batsman today out of the team. It was a big call. Sadly, Rohit seems like a sitting duck for an incoming ball. It is amazing how often he gets bowled or lbw and nobody has been able to sort it out. 

There  is a long list of geniuses for India that could not become stable in test cricket which is the most worthy and tough cricket. Seems Rohit is just another member on that list. Worst part is, I don’t know if he cares enough for it. 

He will play at no 3 in stead of Pujara in England, calling it first. For Crooked Kohli commercial interests trump team interests. You see what is happening with Rahul right now, merit is no longer a criterion for national selection. Having likes of Rohit and Dhawan in the test team will make Kohli look extra good, team jaaye bhaad mein. If it were up to him he would permanently drop Vijay, Rahul, Pujara, Rahane from our test team and fill their spots with white ball hacks. He can't do that because it will be too blatant, so next best thing he can do is keep everyone's spot insecure so that no one except him can perform at full capacity. Indira Gandhi did this when she was PM and all state Congress leaders were systematically destroyed/neutered. Kohli is no different, unless we have checks and controls Indian cricket is heading down the same path. Rohit, Dhawan, Pappu in tests and Karthik, Jadhav, Dhoni in ODIs........

Edited by Gollum

I believe the issue with him is more mental than technical. Like yuvraj he tries to play different way in tests putting too much pressure on himself. If he takes a leaf out of Sehwag book and just play his natural game then he still can do something otherwise I’m afraid he is going down Yuvraj route. 

14 hours ago, Gollum said:

He will play at no 3 in stead of Pujara in England, calling it first. For Crooked Kohli commercial interests trump team interests. You see what is happening with Rahul right now, merit is no longer a criterion for national selection. Having likes of Rohit and Dhawan in the test team will make Kohli look extra good, team jaaye bhaad mein. If it were up to him he would permanently drop Vijay, Rahul, Pujara, Rahane from our test team and fill their spots with white ball hacks. He can't do that because it will be too blatant, so next best thing he can do is keep everyone's spot insecure so that no one except him can perform at full capacity. Indira Gandhi did this when she was PM and all state Congress leaders were systematically destroyed/neutered. Kohli is no different, unless we have checks and controls Indian cricket is heading down the same path. Rohit, Dhawan, Pappu in tests and Karthik, Jadhav, Dhoni in ODIs........

Checks and controls of Anil Kumble is what landed us with turds like manish pandey. Grass is greener on the other side.

19 hours ago, Gollum said:

Is Kohli Indira Gandhi's reincarnation? :phehe:

Maybe she is back this time for unfinished business of bossing all.

P.S. : Casual comment folks, not humiliating her.

Edited by MechEng
6 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

@Khota- aapke kya vichar hai is baare men ??

Aap ko mere vichar pasand nahi aate magar mein tabh bhi bol deta hun.

Rohit is real solid batsman who is the backbone of Indian batting. He is going thru a slump and needs some help. His career is far from over and all he needs a good coach who can study the game films with him and address all his shortcoming. people have tendency on ICF to discard players but Rohit is not one of them.

@Ankit_sharma03 what is your honest opinion about him?

7 hours ago, Khota said:

Aap ko mere vichar pasand nahi aate magar mein tabh bhi bol deta hun.

Rohit is real solid batsman who is the backbone of Indian batting. He is going thru a slump and needs some help. His career is far from over and all he needs a good coach who can study the game films with him and address all his shortcoming. people have tendency on ICF to discard players but Rohit is not one of them.

@Ankit_sharma03 what is your honest opinion about him?

To start with i was a fan of rohit sharma like most when i saw him 

But that was 10 yrs back , now

Rating Rohit sharma is a case of hope vs reality. There wud be people on both sides ....like before the series started guys like harsha bhogle n akash chopra were in hope that this SA tour will be making of rohit sharma the test cricketer . Well Im on the other side. 

When u see him bat their is no doubt he gives u the feeling that this guy is blessed and some of sheer carnage innings he has played has been an example of it but their is something that seprates talent from greatness and thats attitude which he lacks. M not saying he has a poor attitude but he also doesnt have the attitude of great player which was possesed by someone like kohli who emerged in same circumstances under same national coaches. But kohli had the hunger to thrive more, u look at rohit sharma n u knw he is happy with himself ....either its drop in his fitness or non improvement in his technique . HE was a very fit player but over last few yrs he has put on a lot of weight which doesnt hurt when ur at right side of age but will affect his reflexes once he is on wrong side. His non improvement in technique has actually started to glare weekness in his game specially in last yr. The ball coming in not only from fast bowler but a spinners googly has found a gateway between his bat n pad and slowly everyone will start to exploit it more. 

Rohit sharma as LOI player- I thought he is 2nd best in LOI before SA series but now dhawan has easily taken the place of 2nd best ODI batsman of indian team currently. T20 ill still say rohit is better. Now as player he has all issues that i wrote above but LOI cricket does put much challenge to put him under question so that has become his comfort zone and he has done really well in it. Yes like many even i knw in testing condition under pressure he ll fail 9 out of 10 times but how many times will u encounter such condition in LOI may be once or twice so Rohit sharma is good for LOI. He is also looks to be a good captain in LOI and will become so his place is secure for next 5-6 yrs but he has to work on his fitness or this will come n bite him back. 

Rohit sharma as test player- Post his Last overseas disastor outing in knew he ll fail next time to and he did . Reason his technique has issues and he doesnt have the uncluttered mindset of sehwag or gilchrist . Anyone who thinks that hitting the ball is batting like is bullshit . Those guys were ultra positive which means not worrying about their weakness and playing on merit. Now take Rohit Sharma test innings in Sa, he was just so focussed about leaving the ball outside off that he forgot about the ball coming in. Sehwag wud never bat like that even in his slump. He wud have hit the ball on its merit most days. We consider yuvraj singh a test failure but i hve seen him also play some good knocks in test but rohit has hardly anything much to show in test. His test career has basically 90% failures and that to after so many chances so i think if ur even slightly smart u shud have understood that he is lost hope in test cricket. Even i saw Harsha n akash interview post SA tour where i felt even now they are on the other side . 

Now had rohit sharma played under any captain i wud have been sure that his test career is done but m not sure under kohli n shastri regime. 

About the coaching thing- that horseshit , coaching at international level is a lil overrated. He , kohli, dhawan has had same coaches. Rohit has had accesses to Sachin, mahela, ponting in MI and had sachin , dravid ,laxman as senior player as well so that coaching excuse makes no sense. N if he was really that serious he shud have hired a personal coach like uthappa n rahane did hire amre. Infact kohli when was going through slump after eng tour took help of sachin, who has stopped rohit so thats what i say lack of desire to thrive more. Rohit failure is due to his limitation. Put him in easy condition n he ll score tomm n put him back to SA or testing condition day after and he ll fail again. The story has been same for 10 yrs.......M shocked people are still not learning 

Ill end by saying Rohit sharma will always be a case of hope vs reality and im among those who have to reality that despite all his talent but lack of derive he has developed limitation that he can only deilver in LOI. Now its a matter of time when the people on other side will also come in terms to reality 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
6 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

To start with i was a fan of rohit sharma like most when i saw him 

But that was 10 yrs back , now

Rating Rohit sharma is a case of hope vs reality. There wud be people on both sides ....like before the series started guys like harsha bhogle n akash chopra were in hope that this SA tour will be making of rohit sharma the test cricketer . Well Im on the other side. 

When u see him bat their is no doubt he gives u the feeling that this guy is blessed and some of sheer carnage innings he has played has been an example of it but their is something that seprates talent from greatness and thats attitude which he lacks. M not saying he has a poor attitude but he also doesnt have the attitude of great player which was possesed by someone like kohli who emerged in same circumstances under same national coaches. But kohli had the hunger to thrive more, u look at rohit sharma n u knw he is happy with himself ....either its drop in his fitness or non improvement in his technique . HE was a very fit player but over last few yrs he has put on a lot of weight which doesnt hurt when ur at right side of age but will affect his reflexes once he is on wrong side. His non improvement in technique has actually started to glare weekness in his game specially in last yr. The ball coming in not only from fast bowler but a spinners googly has found a gateway between his bat n pad and slowly everyone will start to exploit it more. 

Rohit sharma as LOI player- I thought he is 2nd best in LOI before SA series but now dhawan has easily taken the place of 2nd best ODI batsman of indian team currently. T20 ill still say rohit is better. Now as player he has all issues that i wrote above but LOI cricket does put much challenge to put him under question so that has become his comfort zone and he has done really well in it. Yes like many even i knw in testing condition under pressure he ll fail 9 out of 10 times but how many times will u encounter such condition in LOI may be once or twice so Rohit sharma is good for LOI. He is also looks to be a good captain in LOI and will become so his place is secure for next 5-6 yrs but he has to work on his fitness or this will come n bite him back. 

Rohit sharma as test player- Post his Last overseas disastor outing in knew he ll fail next time to and he did . Reason his technique has issues and he doesnt have the uncluttered mindset of sehwag or gilchrist . Anyone who thinks that hitting the ball is batting like is bullshit . Those guys were ultra positive which means not worrying about their weakness and playing on merit. Now take Rohit Sharma test innings in Sa, he was just so focussed about leaving the ball outside off that he forgot about the ball coming in. Sehwag wud never bat like that even in his slump. He wud have hit the ball on its merit most days. We consider yuvraj singh a test failure but i hve seen him also play some good knocks in test but rohit has hardly anything much to show in test. His test career has basically 90% failures and that to after so many chances so i think if ur even slightly smart u shud have understood that he is lost hope in test cricket. Even i saw Harsha n akash interview post SA tour where i felt even now they are on the other side . 

Now had rohit sharma played under any captain i wud have been sure that his test career is done but m not sure under kohli n shastri regime. 

About the coaching thing- that horseshit , coaching at international level is a lil overrated. He , kohli, dhawan has had same coaches. Rohit has had accesses to Sachin, mahela, ponting in MI and had sachin , dravid ,laxman as senior player as well so that coaching excuse makes no sense. N if he was really that serious he shud have hired a personal coach like uthappa n rahane did hire amre. Infact kohli when was going through slump after eng tour took help of sachin, who has stopped rohit so thats what i say lack of desire to thrive more. Rohit failure is due to his limitation. Put him in easy condition n he ll score tomm n put him back to SA or testing condition day after and he ll fail again. The story has been same for 10 yrs.......M shocked people are still not learning 

Ill end by saying Rohit sharma will always be a case of hope vs reality and im among those who have to reality that despite all his talent but lack of derive he has developed limitation that he can only deilver in LOI. Now its a matter of time when the people on other side will also come in terms to reality 

You made some valid points.

One thing I totally agree with is the fitness issue. My tennis coach always told me that there is nothing I can do about talent but fitness you control. At level of International cricket for Rohit to be overweight can never be excused. That is nothing but lack of discipline.

As far as this test series is concerned he did about the same as others.

To be fair to Rohit let us compare him with Pujara and Vijay. He did as well as those guys in the opportunities he got. So to say that it is curtains for him and not Pujara is not fair at all. 

Lot of issues he has are mental and a good coach can rectify those.

He has some issues that need to be resolved but writing his obituary is premature.