Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SK_IH

Krunal Pandya - A Reality Check on his abilities

Recommended Posts

Ok at the first instance I would confess I was one of his big supporters and wanted him to play ODIs , let alone T20s. 

 

He has played 9 matches for Ind now and I have to say his batting has been a real disappointment. His batting against pace is ugly, he gets into really bad positions.Unfortunately his ability to come in and hit straight away is also questionable, to an extent I think he should have bat above Hardik.Krunal to me is someone who can hit unlike Jadeja but he definitely should not bat as low he is batting.

 

Bowling I thought he is very limited and never a full quota bowler but TM have over estimated his bowling abilities.To his credit he win MoM for his bowling but surely him playing as 2nd spinner is a BIG NO.

 

This doesn't mean Jadeja the phoney the proven failure should be brought back but Krunal to me is someone who is not a long term prospect and may remain a stop gap till someone of real quality fills up that spot.And I don't think he is any race for ODI spot ATM let alone WC squad.

 

Share this post


Link to post

i knew his batting was week against geniune pace but was weeker then even i thought. He has time to improve. I wanted him WC squad but not now.....i hope he can improve his batting against pace. His bowling will get better with time ....not to worried about it

 

Glad he got a chance so he got to knw what areas he needs to improve in international cricket. Had this TM started giving youngsters chances earlier they wud have started working on their weekness way before WC

 

at this point he can only have a place in t20

Share this post


Link to post

I would give him proper run in ODI’s down the line post world cup. Its unfair to judgr these guys. He has consistently done well in t20s in IPL and earned his selection. Now to throw him off based on few games is bad. He bas batted well at times too for India already. Today he showed glimpses of his IPl knocks. He can probabaly do the same in 50 overs if given chance. His bowling could improve too with time. That only happens once you play a lot of international cricket as you find new ways to defend as a bowler and attack as a bowler and make batsman play certain shots to get him out.

 

Give him some game time post 50 over world cup, proper game time. 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I would give him proper run in ODI’s down the line post world cup. Its unfair to judgr these guys. He has consistently done well in t20s in IPL and earned his selection. Now to throw him off based on few games is bad. He bas batted well at times too for India already. Today he showed glimpses of his IPl knocks. He can probabaly do the same in 50 overs if given chance. His bowling could improve too with time. That only happens once you play a lot of international cricket as you find new ways to defend as a bowler and attack as a bowler and make batsman play certain shots to get him out.

 

Give him some game time post 50 over world cup, proper game time. 

If he has to fix a spot in the team, he needs to work a lot on his batting and he has to bat higher up to make any impact.Because of these reasons I don't see him being a regular in ODIs soon.

Share this post


Link to post

Those of us who have followed Krunal at MI know that he does not stand out if you look at batting and bowling individually. There can be better players on those parameter .... Krunal Pandya is someone who excels despite his limitations while bringing in excellent fielding and never say die spirit to the table. You will see him get beaten by pace one ball but hit the next ball for a 6. In a over, he could get smashed, but in the next, he would somehow pick a couple of wkts .... he is a different type of cricketer 

 

The more I see him, the more he reminds me of Robin Singh, who you would not pick when evaluating batting and bowling individually but as a package when you include his fielding, big hitting abilities and fighting spirit, brought in a punch to the side

 

Better bowler and perceived better batsman like Jadeja at 7-8, may look good on paper but may not have the same impact (we saw how Jadeja messed up CT17 final, the chase vs AFG, etc.)

 

Currently, Krunal is adjusting to international cricket so let us see how he shapes up. Ind has other options as well so everyone can be in the mix and rotated 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, maniac said:

Neither a batsman nor a bowler.

My take...rubbish bowler but a fair batsman but I would take jadeja ahead of krunnal any day.

Not good enough to represent India in t20 or odi or tests.

 

Edited by vishalvirsingh

Share this post


Link to post

Why are we surprised. In the IPL it was clear that he is very ugly on the eye as a batsman. As a no8 he can be very effective if his bowling was of any use. So far it has been more miss than hit. The jury is out. 

Share this post


Link to post

Looked pathetic and super-limited against pace.  More than pace, its anything that bounces above his waist, he doesn't have shots for.  He's very good at slogging length balls at any pace, but you can't have such a one-note game.   Jadeja is basically the same way, if marginally worse at putting away slot-balls.  

 

For Krunal to play more than a handful of games for the Indian team, he's going to have massively improve his batting method against bounce.   This is not an easy thing to do.  Don't like writing players off, but the evidence so far is not looking good at all.  

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

My take...rubbish bowler but a fair batsman but I would take jadeja ahead of krunnal any day.

Not good enough to represent India in t20 or odi or tests.

 

Jadeja over Krunal anyday antime.

Share this post


Link to post

He is a value player, but a bits a pieces cricketer... He does deserve a place in T20s.. But in ODIs, his role is neither clearly defined as a bowler nor a batsman..  So, stick with him in T20s, and graduate him to ODIs, if he does well in T20s...

 

I wonder why we don't have a specialist T20 team.. Players like DK, Krunal etc should just be T20I players with the occasional ODI games against Tier 2 sides to see how their game is improving.

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Tendulkar1996 said:

Krunal will be useful for  2020 T20 wc perhaps as a lower order option.And maybe as fifth bowler in indian conditions in 2023 if he can keep form and improve.No need to bother with him in ODIs for now.

I thought 2020 wc is in Australia.

Share this post


Link to post

If Kedar Jadhav available, I’d rather pick him in place of both Jaddu & KruPa..  KruPa is best suited for IPL only. Shouldn’t be anywhere near to the Indian team... But as Rohit captains both MI and T20, KruPa is lucky to get these matches and screw India...

Share this post


Link to post

Didn't watch yesterday's game but people saying he looked ugly against pace. How does that matter? You don't need to decorate him in your bedroom. Checked scorecard and it shows 26 of 13 with 2 sixes and 2 fours. I thought it's runs that matter and not how do you look while batting. Everyone has weaknesses.  Dravid and Laxman were so lucky that they didn't have to start their careers with T20s. Otherwise, people would have had same complements for them as well.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Didn't watch yesterday's game but people saying he looked ugly against pace. How does that matter? You don't need to decorate him in your bedroom. Checked scorecard and it shows 26 of 13 with 2 sixes and 2 fours. I thought it's runs that matter and not how do you look while batting. Everyone has weaknesses.  Dravid and Laxman were so lucky that they didn't have to start their careers with T20s. Otherwise, people would have had same complements for them as well.

He has specific role in the side. The way he wastes balls which are short and at his body can be criminal in the position and situation he comes. He played two dot balls in the 19th over, which was very crucial in yesterday's loss. He needs massive improvement in batting otherwise he wont be that frutiful in the role he plays. You have to see the match to come to a conclusion , dont just go by numbers

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, SK_IH said:

He has specific role in the side. The way he wastes balls which are short and at his body can be criminal in the position and situation he comes. He played two dot balls in the 19th over, which was very crucial in yesterday's loss. He needs massive improvement in batting otherwise he wont be that frutiful in the role he plays. You have to see the match to come to a conclusion , dont just go by numbers

No one can hit every ball though .... Karthik wasted a few balls too in the 20th over. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, zen said:

No one can hit every ball though .... Karthik wasted a few balls too in the 20th over. 

penultimate over is the most crucial i think, those two balls if converted to even 6 runs would have made the task much easier

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Didn't watch yesterday's game but people saying he looked ugly against pace. How does that matter? You don't need to decorate him in your bedroom. Checked scorecard and it shows 26 of 13 with 2 sixes and 2 fours. I thought it's runs that matter and not how do you look while batting. Everyone has weaknesses.  Dravid and Laxman were so lucky that they didn't have to start their careers with T20s. Otherwise, people would have had same complements for them as well.

This guy played like gully mohalla cricketer by stepping away expecting bouncers. Don't go by scorecard. He played like a hack. like all the other hacks (including NZ hacks) got away with some runs. 

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Didn't watch yesterday's game but people saying he looked ugly against pace. How does that matter? You don't need to decorate him in your bedroom. Checked scorecard and it shows 26 of 13 with 2 sixes and 2 fours. I thought it's runs that matter and not how do you look while batting. Everyone has weaknesses.  Dravid and Laxman were so lucky that they didn't have to start their careers with T20s. Otherwise, people would have had same complements for them as well.

When we are chasing a high score with required run rate being 9  How confident are you when jadeja or  S tiwary comes to bat ?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

penultimate over is the most crucial i think, those two balls if converted to even 6 runs would have made the task much easier

Every ball if converted can make task easier but in cricket teams do bowl dots and that will continue to happen. At the end of the day, he kept a very high SR 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, zen said:

Every ball if converted can make task easier but in cricket teams do bowl dots and that will continue to happen. At the end of the day, he kept a very high SR 

i disagree with you, he didnt look like he was comfortable at all and those dot balls were evidence pf his limitations. He has to improve considerable I say to make an impact.

Look he is an upgrade on Jadeja as a batsman but Ind needs more than that.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

i disagree with you, he didnt look like he was comfortable at all and those dot balls were evidence pf his limitations. He has to improve considerable I say to make an impact.

Look he is an upgrade on Jadeja as a batsman but Ind needs more than that.

At the end of the day, there are no perfect players including those who have played tons of games .... newcomers like Krunal are adjusting to  international cricket so are in the process of getting polished 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, zen said:

At the end of the day, there are no perfect players including those who have played tons of games .... newcomers like Krunal are adjusting to  international cricket so are in the process of getting polished 

TBH I dont even think  he is someone who can hit from the start. He comes across as someone who should be batting higher up for optimal output

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

TBH I dont even think  he is someone who can hit from the start. He comes across as someone who should be batting higher up for optimal output

Eventually, he will need to improve to become a regular member of the side .... Right now, he is probably among the players being rotated. Since he is not a regular, he would get time to evaluate his game and address his shortcomings 

Share this post


Link to post

He will fail outside subcontinent? Won 2 MoMs

He can't bat against pace. Hits a 26*(13) in a near impossible chase

Most wickets for India in the series, Did better than any other bowler. Again not good enough. 

 

For someone playing in his first 6 months of int'l cricket, he's doing fine. Get off his back. 

Share this post


Link to post

Krunal is some one who will look good if in T20's we dont have MSD instead play another bowler.

 

That way we will have 7 batters as well as 5 bowlers with Pandya brothers alongwith Shankar as 5th bowler.

 

In Odi's too if we are playing Jadhav then Krunal as 5th bowler is really good.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, helperononline said:

When we are chasing a high score with required run rate being 9  How confident are you when jadeja or  S tiwary comes to bat ?

We were not chasing 9 an over yesterday. He himself batted at 12 rpo yesterday. 26 in 13 is 12 rpo. We were 150 in 15.4 overs, needing 59 in 4.2 overs, 14 rpo. Only very special hitters can do that likes of abdv or Russell.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

He will fail outside subcontinent? Won 2 MoMs

He can't bat against pace. Hits a 26*(13) in a near impossible chase

Most wickets for India in the series, Did better than any other bowler. Again not good enough. 

 

For someone playing in his first 6 months of int'l cricket, he's doing fine. Get off his back. 

Yeah people want miracles immediately

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Didn't watch yesterday's game but people saying he looked ugly against pace. How does that matter? You don't need to decorate him in your bedroom. Checked scorecard and it shows 26 of 13 with 2 sixes and 2 fours. I thought it's runs that matter and not how do you look while batting. Everyone has weaknesses.  Dravid and Laxman were so lucky that they didn't have to start their careers with T20s. Otherwise, people would have had same complements for them as well.

as far as batting is concerned both pandya bros are Cool specially for ODI and t20.

But he is just as good or as bad as Kedar jadhav as a Bowler. 

Any batsman hits him, he does not turn the ball at all, does not Spin the ball. is a straight bowler and tries angles to beat batsman.

Jaddu is a Much better bowler than Krunnal and hence if we have Jaddu who is a much better Spinner and a Far far better fielder than Krunnal, i would Pick jaddu as a spinner or even washington as washington sundar is a far better bowler than krunnal.

 

i think washington and jaddu are better than Krunnal as overall packages. kedar is a permanent fixture as he is a steady batsman and gets those low level balls.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

Jaddu is a Much better bowler than Krunnal and hence if we have Jaddu who is a much better Spinner and a Far far better fielder than Krunnal, i would Pick jaddu as a spinner or even washington as washington sundar is a far better bowler than krunnal.

I hope you are not confusing formats. Krunal has won 2 MOM in less than 10 T20s for his bowling! .... Jadeja is likely to go for as many runs as Krunal, who is a better hitter 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...